Show Off Your EBR!

There's no "spray and pray" going on here and that sort of generalization tends to further spread the misconception of what an AR really is.

Sure, a 24" tube on a .308 bolt action will be more accurate, generally, than an 18" barreled .308 in an AR. However, that is a function of tube length, not an inherent defect or failing of the AR platform. And you can build an AR platform that is equal to a bolt action rifle in accuracy easily enough.

Too many restrictions on what the rifle can and can't have here in CA to own something like that. Although I have my share of firearms, the closest I have to something like that is my Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Gun - .223 , all stainless, with the black synthetic stock.

I had my FFL until 1998, when the licensing laws became too expensive and cumbersome for the few guns I sold, so I let it go. Where I live now, although it's legal for me to shoot on my property (distance from road, property lines, etc.), there are too many people around to safely shoot anything but a shotgun.

Well, yes and no. There are a ton of restrictions, but ... They left the door open for rim-fire to be exempt. And CA DOJ really does not like Poly lowers, so I decided to play :)

I'm building a 22WMR full featured AR with all the stuff they don't want and a poly lower just because :D

Lot of options discussed in this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1293510

There is also the Franklin Armory fixed mag solution. When used with a Mean Arms speed-loader, it's pretty quick. Not a mag drop quick, but still fairly effective. And, you get to keep all your "features" because it is no longer a removable magazine rifle by CA Regs.

Of course it's not glued or welded in, so it is removable when out of state. So I think I'll build a 556 one like that too :D

Pics when I get done building it :)

And, if you'all want to see what some Cali builders are up to, here's a BIG picture thread with lots of EBR's :D

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=232935&highlight=evil+features

Last edited:
As an accuracy freak, I'm not a fan of semi-automatic spray-and-pray rifles.:smoke: Gimme an old-fashioned bolt action, please.

Generally speaking, my experience is that beyond a relatively easy to attain hardware aspect, practical accuracy is more a factor of the rifleman than the rifle.

Generally speaking, my experience is that beyond a relatively easy to attain hardware aspect, practical accuracy is more a factor of the rifleman than the rifle.
Agreed. Just funnin' a bit. OTOH, after decades of shooting and hunting, I got to the point where I only go afield for deer with a bow or muzzleloader any more, leaving modern firearms in the cabinet. I guess I'm regressing in my old age.:biggrin:

Remington 870 Express; Ruger Mini 14 .223 (EBR in disguise); Sig P220; Uberti1873 .357 Single-Action Cattleman Revolver

100_0002.jpg

100_0004.jpg

Sig-GP100.jpg

... you can build an AR platform that is equal to a bolt action rifle in accuracy easily enough.

Well, to a point. For most practical applications I would say I agree, but ultimate accuracy at long range is still a single-shot bolt action.

I have a couple Rock River ARs that are pretty darn accurate. A National Match AR-15 and their LAR-8. I do not handload and the NM is a sub MOA rifle at 200 yards with factory ammo. I have not shot the LAR-8 enough yet to know, but it's close.

When you get to 800+ yards and need to stay supersonic to the target a 20", or even 24" barrel isn't going to do it. Now if someone made a .338 Lapua or .416 Barrett, or .50 BMG AR that may be a different story.

The F-Class guys I know are running 30" +/- barrel .308 Win. Of course, custom, hand loaded ammunition. 5" X-ring and 10" 10-ring at 1000 yards.

Again, agreed, to a point. Are we talking about bragging rights at the deer camp, or on a firing line at a regional or national match?

That "relatively easy to attain hardware" will run you on the order of $5000 and up for a rifle (no scope, no rest). Guys are paying more for their rest than most folks spend on a rifle and scope.

Guys are so good that regardless of skill, you will not consistently "win" a match against the top-flight competitors with a $2000 rifle.

I do not compete at these levels, but I shoot with guys that do.

Some years ago I did a lot of shooting with an SMLE made during the Great War and a Springfield 03-A3. I was pretty good shooting with iron sights and it became apparent that to improve I'd have to invest both more time and more money. So I stopped shooting.

Now I'm shooting again, with my wife. We shoot a couple of Ruger 10-22s with red dot sights, our aging eyes can't focus iron sights. Lots of fun.

As for black rifles, I recognize their utility but they're not to my taste. If I wanted to shoot a centerfire self loader I'd probably favor a Mini-14 or an SKS.

Last edited:
So are the S&W MP 15-22 rifles. Despite some complaints by other owners both of mine seem to use all brands of .22LR with no issues.

Probably the best training rifle for the AR platform since all the controls are in the right place. Pretty darn accurate for what they are, too.

Back
Top Bottom