New to me large Advents = WOW

These suckers sound awesome. I have a real problem on my hands. I have a pair of ADS L-880/2 that the drivers are on there way back from Richard So. I really don't want to unhook the Advents. Here's my impression from a short listening session last night. I checked the SPL with my phone app, and I was peaking at 76db. It wasn't load, but very full sounding.

Not to derail the Advent conversation but can you tell me what Richard So is doing to your L880/2's? I have some stock L880's. I think they are good but they sound congested to me and I cannot listen to them for very long. I am thinking of recapping the crossovers, at least the electrolytic cap on the bass driver, but maybe the films too. The L880 are almost mint and I want to like them but so far I Like the L690 better than the L880.

Can you send me a PM of what he is doing if you do not want to clutter the Advent discussion?

Thanks, Bob

Can you send me a PM of what he is doing if you do not want to clutter the Advent discussion?

Thanks, Bob
We won't derail the thread. Roll on over to adsspeakerservice and see what Richard So offers, new domes and new cones, rebuilding your drivers for about 50 a pop...like 225 for a set of tweets and mids, depending.

I know the stacked Advents are getting some interest from Onebean but I said it was more than a big step up. Hoping he concurs, but he is busy listening and I'm not typing loud enough to be heard.

Blue Shadow, I'm at work now, so I can hear you. :D

My listening session was very short last night due to family stuff going on. I did listen to a couple tracks and tested out my new Ste Up Transformer that arrived yesterday. My system has taken 2 giant leaps up the sound quality ladder. That DuKane SUT from SUTman is nothing short of amazing! :eek2: Anyone using a head amp style step up is missing out big time. I'll likely start another thread regarding SUT. I don't wan to get too far off the Advent topic.

Onebean

Advents 3.jpg Advents 4.jpg Just got a pair fixed up, a friend repaired the woofers as they were cracked and in bad shape. He also rebuilt crossovers, re-fresh and re-stuffed the cabinets. They look and sound wonderful and possibly better than off the showroom floor. The best part is my father pulled them off that showroom floor and in April he will see and hear them again. I'm currently pushing Carver C-1 with a billd mod and M-500t MkII and they seem to be quite happy together.

Last edited:
I'm interested in hearing anyones suggestions for DIY speaker stands for these two. As you can see the stands currently are fine with one major issue,...I have a 6 month old lab (not the TT), and 8 and 12 year old sons and feel a more sturdy stand that could cup the speakers in place preventing them falling off, etc. I would love to stack another pair some day, but for now I'm taking the slow road.

Thanks in advance for any directions.

ps - I also have a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Towers, a pair of Nova-8's and Klipsch KG-2's in addition to the Advents. I am a fan of Kloss and feel like of the four pairs the Towers really sound great despite the cold treatment they get on line.

Not sure how I missed it, but tonight I saw the diy speaker stands in an X shape. I love those, but was wondering if anyone has seen ones with a lip that could take a little harder push (sliding puppy or kid). Thanks again and really enjoy reading about these fun speakers.

Not sure how I missed it, but tonight I saw the diy speaker stands in an X shape. I love those, but was wondering if anyone has seen ones with a lip that could take a little harder push (sliding puppy or kid). Thanks again and really enjoy reading about these fun speakers.

There are adhesive backed vinyl non-slip pads from hardware or home improvement stores. I stick to top of speaker stands. I find they grip very well and keep speaker from sliding off stands. Don't keep stands and speaker from tipping over.

Here's the new stands. 9" tall and sized 3/4" per side smaller than the speaker itself. They are pretty solid, but my carpet is very short nap, and i'm on concrete floor.

I'm interested in hearing anyones suggestions for DIY speaker stands for these two. As you can see the stands currently are fine with one major issue,...I have a 6 month old lab (not the TT), and 8 and 12 year old sons and feel a more sturdy stand that could cup the speakers in place preventing them falling off, etc. I would love to stack another pair some day, but for now I'm taking the slow road.

Thanks in advance for any directions.

ps - I also have a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Towers, a pair of Nova-8's and Klipsch KG-2's in addition to the Advents. I am a fan of Kloss and feel like of the four pairs the Towers really sound great despite the cold treatment they get on line.

I put these together with 4 x4's and some birch plywood cut to size then stained and a coat or two of satin poly.
index.php

I stacked and veneered mine together. OLA version.
Thinking about going with tube amp. Would you guys think VTA ST-70 be powerful enough to run them connected in parallel?
Or should I go for ST-120?

adv.JPG

Attachments

• room.JPG
    room.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Grindfix, I really like the way they look in your set up. I'm digging the balance in the room. How do they sound? Also, I'm curious what is the take on having them cornered? I understand that a turn in is good but are these speakers cool with being cornered, just curious as I'm learning. I have a pair listed in a post above and really dig the thought of how they must sound stacked. I noticed a big difference having my pair off the floor about 18" on stands.
I also need to read up on what goes into stacking and connections as I have always been a straight connect guy.

Thanks for sharing.

I stacked and veneered mine together. OLA version.
Thinking about going with tube amp. Would you guys think VTA ST-70 be powerful enough to run them connected in parallel?
Or should I go for ST-120?
Tubes are not well suited to driving Advents which really need lower source impedance SS amps to sound optimum.

While the VTL MB-450 tube monoblocks (450 watts each) used with my stats sound great driving them, I once tried them on the Advents just for grins. Sounded overly dark and boomy.

It's a question of matching. They sounded their best with a Threshold Stasis 3 I used to have. :)

Grindfix, I really like the way they look in your set up. I'm digging the balance in the room. How do they sound? Also, I'm curious what is the take on having them cornered? I understand that a turn in is good but are these speakers cool with being cornered, just curious as I'm learning. I have a pair listed in a post above and really dig the thought of how they must sound stacked. I noticed a big difference having my pair off the floor about 18" on stands.
I also need to read up on what goes into stacking and connections as I have always been a straight connect guy.

Thanks for sharing.

I know that placing speakers in the corner is not optimal and causing lower mid frequencies to overwhelm the sound, but this is the only room I have for this setup.
SX-1280 in picture has too much power (185 wpc into 8 ohm) to drive them in 4 ohm parallel connection. 8 o'clock on the volume dial and its already too loud for relaxed listening. Connecting in series makes 16 ohm setup and they sound much, much better but not as clean and punchy as I remember them sounding as single 8 ohm pair. So, it is definitely a matter of amp to speaker match. I have Sansui 9090 that I think will sound much better with them when I'l finally find time to finish re-cap.
One other thing I want to try is to make angled shims to put between tweeters and cabinets to direct high frequencies to ear level.

Back
Top Bottom