Maintaining a Sansui AU-517

Tdogzthmn

Hello,
I recently purchased a Sansui 517 in great condition from a seller off Craigslist. Prior to picking up the amp, I had been reading that it can be a good idea to replace/upgrade some of the capacitors and resistors to bring the amp back up to spec.

Before deciding to make any alterations or repairs, I though about bring the unit to a local repair shop that advertises its work on vintage audio gear to check if the amp is functioning optimally. If the amp is functioning properly is there still a need to recap it?

They can test it and tell you it's functioning optimally, but if it sounds lifeless (which is likely at this age) then it needs to be reconditioned - and I don't mean 'recapped' I mean reconditioned, in my book there is a difference. However, if they test it and say it's OK - and you like the sound of it, then that's OK too.

NB: Tdogzthmn - It's considered bad form to post the same question twice.

Once I'm able to discuss the amp with the repair technician I will follow up in this thread.

I've been trying to learn more about the usual issues with these amps so I can properly vet the repair shop's knowledge of Sansui gear.

Does anyone have tips for removing that reddish brown glue that was used under the capacitors? Is a solvent required or can it be chipped away without damaging the board or surrounding components?

Does anyone have tips for removing that reddish brown glue that was used under the capacitors? Is a solvent required or can it be chipped away without damaging the board or surrounding components?
A drop of acetone and a wooden little stick, is what I use. After that, alcohol and a q-tip.

And some of the alcohol should be taken orally for stress free results. :D

(a somewhat different kind of alcohol - to be clear ;) )

Edit update
And in other news, I have just refitted the power modules to the AU-517 I am reconditioning, DC offset and bias set perfectly. I have to do 'the business' to the Phono amp and remount the new speaker terminals, then it is done.

Last edited:
I'm now in possession of the amp and overall its in great condition. There are some minor scratches on the top and sides which I can sand and repair easily. The faceplate is very nice but there are one or two tiny scuffs that I'd like to address. The aluminum black seems to be a good method to address these but i'd like to hear for others who have restored amps.

I've had a few days with the my newly refurbished amp and I am very pleased with its performance. I've owned a few SET amps and the Sansui is somehow able to present music in a similar way. Its hard to articulate but its a warm familiar sound that brings back memories of my 2a3 integrated amp. The bass is rock solid and very articulate coming through my Vandersteen Model 1C speakers. There is more than enough power for my speakers and I've actually added some attenuators to help add some play to the volume. Looking forward to letting it burn in more and settle down!

Yes, I see many years of audio bliss. That and your AU-517 was built on assembly line 22 during June of 1977 and was the 167th unit built on that line that month.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom