This is rather depressing...

Keizer

I recently purchased what was my holy grail of vintage gear. Something I would actually keep and not turn around and sell down the road. A Marantz 2385 in original mint condition. It was as described when it arrived. I have bought many vintage pieces but when I unboxed this beast it was just like unboxing a brand new piece from 1977. I couldn't find a flaw on it. That is until I found a slightly damaged area on the case in the rear lower corner. Which as it turns out slightly bent the lower steel support frame which created a slight bulge underneath. Everything functions perfectly, but it really upsets me because this would have been as perfect as perfect gets when you buy vintage gear. I could actually easily fix this bend if I had the lower steel piece out. But that would involve some work. I hate that these beautiful pieces of history are shipped all over the country.

Here's some pics of this beauty, and also the damage. I'm really depressed!

Attachments

• 20170427_124034.jpg
    20170427_124034.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 340
  • 20170427_124050.jpg
    20170427_124050.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 20170427_124556.jpg
    20170427_124556.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 321
  • 20170427_130903.jpg
    20170427_130903.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 330
  • 20170427_130923.jpg
    20170427_130923.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 335
It was as described when it arrived.
I have to play devil's advocate here. How do you know for sure that this damage wasn't present prior to purchase? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears this was an online purchase. This type of damage would have been difficult to capture in a photo. It could have been a pre-existent condition.

Also, was the receiver double-boxed and sufficiently padded when it arrived?

Beyond this issue this recvr looks great. I know a dozen methods to straighten out this but I would be one that would not mess with it.
Imagine, if it were to be stolen how easy it would be to identify. Just a thought.

The seller boxed it really well. But the puncture went through both boxes.
I have to play devil's advocate here. How do you know for sure that this damage wasn't present prior to purchase? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears this was an online purchase. This type of damage would have been difficult to capture in a photo. It could have been a pre-existent condition.

Also, was the receiver double-boxed and sufficiently padded when it arrived?

Yes it was bought off the bay. The seller has been on ebay since 2005 with a 100% positive feed back so there was no reason for him to lie. I asked for additional detailed photos with time stamps before purchase. It all looked good. Besides, I can stick my finger through the puncture that goes through both boxes. Yes It was a box in a box with more padding that I would think was necessary.

That's an indicator of rough handling, and it's too bad you didn't catch that immediately. The shipper can use that against you and claim that you caused the damage.

I'll bet it was shipped the slow method (ground) and took a few days to arrive. I've shipped a few heavy receivers, and paying for ground shipping means more hands touch the package. More hands increases the odds of a dropped package, which may incur damage being heavy as it is. I actually triple-boxed a rare Rotel receiver shipped to a buyer in Germany. It arrived in one piece and the buyer was very happy.

Last edited:

Yes it was bought off the bay. The seller has been on ebay since 2005 with a 100% positive feed back so there was no reason for him to lie. I asked for additional detailed photos with time stamps before purchase. It all looked good. Besides, I can stick my finger through the puncture that goes through both boxes. Yes It was a box in a box with more padding that I would think was necessary.
That sucks because FedEx will deal with the shipper not you.

I saw the quote above and assumed you found the damage at a later time / date. My bad, but it's good for your case!
I just don't understand what it could have been. It's a small puncture hole......not like the fork on a fork lift. Does Fed X use smaller devices to lift heavy packages. Honestly, I can't help but think it was a stressed out employee that just doesn't like heavy packages......who knows.

I'm with Keizer on this. I'd not just let this pass.

To be damage, bent like that thru all that padding means that unit took a damn hard hit at some point in the shipping process. There are heavy parts in that Marantz and I wouldn't be happy that the double-boxing saved the unit from superficial damage, but what about the brain?
You know, like football players now finding the helmet protects the skull just find, while the brain still shifts around and gets damaged.

The automated distribution systems can present a problem with the large heavy shipments.
They can fall off the systems from some high places.

Put it in a case maybe and no one is the wiser. That does suck though and I am not trying to minimize what you are feeling and I am assuming this was not a cheap buy.
It sure is pretty, congrats.

That really looks awful,You should scrap it,get it out of the house.Send it my way and you won't have to look at it,I'll pay shipping.

I'm with Keizer on this. I'd not just let this pass.

To be damage, bent like that thru all that padding means that unit took a damn hard hit at some point in the shipping process. There are heavy parts in that Marantz and I wouldn't be happy that the double-boxing saved the unit from superficial damage, but what about the brain?
You know, like football players now finding the helmet protects the skull just find, while the brain still shifts around and gets damaged.

That's kind of what I'm worried about. What kind of damage did this hit/fall cause that has yet to surface?

Back
Top Bottom