General consensus on best sounding Fisher models (POLL)

Best sounding Fisher stereo amp / receiver

• X-1000

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • X-202-B

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • X-202

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • X-100

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • X-101B

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • KX-200

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • 800-C / 500-C / 1800

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • TA-600

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 800-B / 500-B

Votes: 11 13.9%

Votes: 8 10.1%

• Total voters

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
I'm interested in to see what the general consensus is on Fisher's best sounding amp / preamp, integrated amp, and receiver. I have listened to most models except the early mono amps and console stuff, so let's keep it limited to stereo models. My favorite is the X-202, if you haven't had the pleasure to hear one, you should put that on your bucket list.

61 views and only 7 votes, how lame!
I'm going to take a stab at the lack of participation issue here.....There can't be more than a handful of people alive who have actually ever heard all of these units. Thought about voting, but I'm utterly unqualified :)

I'm going to take a stab at the lack of participation issue here.....There can't be more than a handful of people alive who have actually ever heard all of these units. Thought about voting, but I'm utterly unqualified :)
Yeah, there are 3 or 4 of us that bought up all the Fisher equipment. :p

OK, not nearly as much experience with the Fisher gear, but I voted for the KX-200, but I have an X-200, not on the list! As Dave G has pointed out, there are some electronic differences between the two, but probably not much sonically. My rehabbed X-200 has always sounded marvelous to me with either the Tung Sol re-issue 7591A's or its' Fisher label Westinghouse tubes, especially into my Klipsch KG4 speakers. It also has the power and bottom end to drive my acoustic suspension speakers well, particularly the KLH Model 5's.
Dave

Steve -as much as I hate to admit it -I have never in my life heard a Fisher..But I'd love to.

OK, not nearly as much experience with the Fisher gear, but I voted for the KX-200, but I have an X-200, not on the list! As Dave G has pointed out, there are some electronic differences between the two, but probably not much sonically. My rehabbed X-200 has always sounded marvelous to me with either the Tung Sol re-issue 7591A's or its' Fisher label Westinghouse tubes, especially into my Klipsch KG4 speakers. It also has the power and bottom end to drive my acoustic suspension speakers well, particularly the KLH Model 5's.
Dave
I have (2) KX-200's, and they sound more similar to my X-202B. My X-202's are just better, it even seems like the stereo separation is more pronounced along with better detail and more solid bass. They seem specifically made to pair with Cornwalls, I absolutely love this combo, and can't believe how powerful they are for using only 7189's (EL-84's).

It's like cars--the best one is the one that runs, needs no repairs and is paid for.

Of my 2 Fishers, I prefer the X202 but am probably biased because it's in the console.

It's like cars--the best one is the one that runs, needs no repairs and is paid for.

Of my 2 Fishers, I prefer the X202 but am probably biased because it's in the console.

Having most of the units in my list, and a couple others, I hear magic in the X-202 that I only notice in my TA-600, and TA-800 also. I believe Dave G said the X-202 is a combination of the SA-100 amp, and 400-C preamp, which are commonly known as Fisher's best components for sound. I understand that the X-202 is less common these days than most of the others, so many Fisher owners have most likely not had the chance to listen to one. Every time I go back to mine in my rotation, I'm reminded of how special it sounds, if only the X-1000 had this sound combined with its extra power.

Last edited:
61 views and only 7 votes, how lame!

i didnt vote, my 500C sounds wonderful but its the only Fisher i have heard so i dont really know beans about it, but i can say its my favorite Fisher and i bought that model based on many others opinions as to how great a receiver it was and how it good it looks and i was not disapointed, If that qualifies me to vote let me know and i will for the 500C, now if you were voting about Marantz that would be a different story

The X-202 is a combination of the SA-100 Stereo Power Amplifier, and the 400C Stereo Preamp.

There was also a Model 100 power amp, but it is a completely different unit, and is mono. The C-70 preamp was a mono unit as well.

Dave

I did not vote as I have only heard in my systems my restored KX-200 and my rebuilt SA-100 amp which is not on this list. To me the KX-200 sounds better I have other Fishers but they have not been restored

The X-202 is a combination of the SA-100 Stereo Power Amplifier, and the 400C Stereo Preamp.

There was also a Model 100 power amp, but it is a completely different unit, and is mono. The C-70 preamp was a mono unit as well.

Dave
Thanks Dave for the clarification, I got my numbers a bit jumbled up I guess, I made the correction.

New to Fisher, but hopefully will be able to vote soon! Just bought a 500c and 800c. Going back to the seller tomorrow to hopefully get a 202t and another 500c. None of them have been restored, so by "soon" I mean however long it takes me to get them all back up to spec. :)

New to Fisher, but hopefully will be able to vote soon! Just bought a 500c and 800c. Going back to the seller tomorrow to hopefully get a 202t and another 500c. None of them have been restored, so by "soon" I mean however long it takes me to get them all back up to spec. :)

Nice haul!

I forgot I have a X 100 running 6BQ5s I have never had it in one of my main system, does sound very nice in my bedroom system

Back
Top Bottom