Oppo UDP-205

Some very nice input/output options.

Output
Analog Audio: 7.1ch, 5.1ch, stereo.
Dedicated Stereo Analog Audio: XLR balanced, RCA single-ended.
Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS.
HDMI Audio: up to 7.1ch/192kHz PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD, Bitstream.
HDMI Video: UHD/1080p24/1080p/1080i/720p/576p/576i/480p/480i, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.

Input
HDMI Audio: up to 7.1ch/192kHz PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD, Bitstream.
HDMI Video: UHD/1080p24/1080p/1080i/720p/576p/576i/480p/480i, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.
USB Audio: up to 2ch/768kHz PCM, up to 2ch/2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz/11.2896MHz DSD.
Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC.

Eric

I have multiple Oppo units installed in different stereo hi-fi systems: BDP-105, BDP-95, and DV-980H. I bought the UDP-205 because I wanted a universal player in another of my systems - not to replace an existing BDP-105 or BDP-95.

I received my Oppo UDP-205 today, and so I’ve had time to perform only brief testing – all positive thus far.

I’ve set-up my UDP-205 the same as my BDP-105 and BDP-95 when connecting the dedicated stereo analog RCA outputs to a stereo amp, and connecting a powered subwoofer to the Oppo (i.e., 2.1 configuration). Per Oppo’s instructions for earlier units:

“In order to utilize the dedicated stereo outputs in a 2.1 configuration with bass management, you will need to change the Stereo Signal setting under the Setup Menu / Audio Processing to Front Left/Right. This will allow the Speaker Configuration section of the Audio Processing menu to apply to the dedicated stereo outputs:

Go to the Setup Menu and select Audio Processing.
Select Stereo Signal and change it to Front Left/Right.
Go to Speaker Configuration.
Set the Downmix Mode to Stereo.
Set each of the connected speakers to Small and set the subwoofer to On.
Exit Speaker Configuration and set the Crossover setting to whatever your preference is.

When the player is configured as detailed above, audio from a source that does not have a dedicated .1 or LFE track will be directed to the subwoofer based on the crossover frequency you select.”​

In order for SACDs to use the subwoofer, I’ve found that under “Audio Format Setup”, “SACD Output” needs to be set to PCM. (IME, if “SACD Output” is set to DSD, bass management doesn’t work.)

Under “Audio Processing”, I have crossover set to 80Hz. “Power up Volume”: 40. “Max Volume”: 100.

I’ve just completed basic testing to ensure that low freqs go to the sub, everything else goes to the main speakers. So far so good.

Currently I have the dedicated stereo RCA outputs of the UDP-205 connected to a pair of 1950s era McIntosh MC30 tube power amps (no pre-amp), and I have a powered subwoofer connected to the UDP-205. As with the BDP-105, this configuration sounds fabulous. (I have no way to A/B switch between the BDP-105 and UDP-205 to compare audio quality.) If I have any revelations after more listening, I’ll report back.

I sometimes connect my Oppo directly to a tube power amp, and sometimes to a stereo integrated amp. I have more than 2 dozen amps installed in 5 systems, and I’ve found equipment combinations/configurations that work well. (Not all do.) In 3 of my systems I have a power amp that I drive directly from the Oppo. However, some power amps sound better with a pre-amp. (In each system I have switches and patch panels that enable me to select which amp I want.)

I also connected a Chromecast Audio via a TosLink cable to the UDP-205, and it works successfully.

One early observation: I’m very happy that the “Netflix” button is gone!

I have multiple Oppo units installed in different stereo hi-fi systems: BDP-105, BDP-95, and DV-980H. I bought the UDP-205 because I wanted a universal player in another of my systems - not to replace an existing BDP-105 or BDP-95.

I received my Oppo UDP-205 today, and so I’ve had time to perform only brief testing – all positive thus far.

I’ve set-up my UDP-205 the same as my BDP-105 and BDP-95 when connecting the dedicated stereo analog RCA outputs to a stereo amp, and connecting a powered subwoofer to the Oppo (i.e., 2.1 configuration). Per Oppo’s instructions for earlier units:

“In order to utilize the dedicated stereo outputs in a 2.1 configuration with bass management, you will need to change the Stereo Signal setting under the Setup Menu / Audio Processing to Front Left/Right. This will allow the Speaker Configuration section of the Audio Processing menu to apply to the dedicated stereo outputs:

Go to the Setup Menu and select Audio Processing.
Select Stereo Signal and change it to Front Left/Right.
Go to Speaker Configuration.
Set the Downmix Mode to Stereo.
Set each of the connected speakers to Small and set the subwoofer to On.
Exit Speaker Configuration and set the Crossover setting to whatever your preference is.

When the player is configured as detailed above, audio from a source that does not have a dedicated .1 or LFE track will be directed to the subwoofer based on the crossover frequency you select.”​

In order for SACDs to use the subwoofer, I’ve found that under “Audio Format Setup”, “SACD Output” needs to be set to PCM. (IME, if “SACD Output” is set to DSD, bass management doesn’t work.)

Under “Audio Processing”, I have crossover set to 80Hz. “Power up Volume”: 40. “Max Volume”: 100.

I’ve just completed basic testing to ensure that low freqs go to the sub, everything else goes to the main speakers. So far so good.

Currently I have the dedicated stereo RCA outputs of the UDP-205 connected to a pair of 1950s era McIntosh MC30 tube power amps (no pre-amp), and I have a powered subwoofer connected to the UDP-205. As with the BDP-105, this configuration sounds fabulous. (I have no way to A/B switch between the BDP-105 and UDP-205 to compare audio quality.) If I have any revelations after more listening, I’ll report back.

I sometimes connect my Oppo directly to a tube power amp, and sometimes to a stereo integrated amp. I have more than 2 dozen amps installed in 5 systems, and I’ve found equipment combinations/configurations that work well. (Not all do.) In 3 of my systems I have a power amp that I drive directly from the Oppo. However, some power amps sound better with a pre-amp. (In each system I have switches and patch panels that enable me to select which amp I want.)

I also connected a Chromecast Audio via a TosLink cable to the UDP-205, and it works successfully.

One early observation: I’m very happy that the “Netflix” button is gone!

How do you select after pressing Set Up?

What? Stupid question? I have a 95 I've never hooked up to a TV. I just received my new 205, strictly for 2ch. Why? Because I was right when I suspected it's sq would be second to none. In fact, it's very noticeably better than the 95. It appears dsp settings require a screen. Okay then.

So I have a question about the 205. I am thinking about removing my Outlaw 975 pre-amp out of the equation and using the 205 as the pre-amp for my 5.1 system. Let the 205 do all the processing. My question is. I want to use the dedicated stereo outputs for 2 channel listening. Is that possible to do with wanting to use the other analog outputs for my center and surrounds? Or will I just have to use the dedicated 5.1/7.1 channels for everything?

So I have a question about the 205. I am thinking about removing my Outlaw 975 pre-amp out of the equation and using the 205 as the pre-amp for my 5.1 system. Let the 205 do all the processing. My question is. I want to use the dedicated stereo outputs for 2 channel listening. Is that possible to do with wanting to use the other analog outputs for my center and surrounds? Or will I just have to use the dedicated 5.1/7.1 channels for everything?
Check page 67 in the manual.

To anyone interested. This 205 is stunningly dynamic. Resolution is awesome. Just a fabulous player. I didn't hear a whole lot of difference when I upgraded from a Rotel HD to the 95. But this is huge.

This looks like one helluva machine! If I wasn't so incredibly satisfied with my BD-103 I'd order one.

With me it's all about sq. If you auditioned one you'd probably want it.
The only thing I would use it for audio wise would be DVD-A and SACD. The sources in my sig are my primary 2ch playback sources. I have often wondered how good the 105 would be via its XLR outputs for 2ch SACD - just don't own enough of either discs to justify the upgrade. Primarily, I'd use it for movies at which the BD-103 leaves little to desire. A reference audio source, it isn't.

The only thing I would use it for audio wise would be DVD-A and SACD. The sources in my sig are my primary 2ch playback sources. I have often wondered how good the 105 would be via its XLR outputs for 2ch SACD - just don't own enough of either discs to justify the upgrade. Primarily, I'd use it for movies at which the BD-103 leaves little to desire. A reference audio source, it isn't.
I recently was seriously considering a RR because I discovered the Tape Project. But progress is at a snail's pace so no real play list and the tapes are just too much money on top of it. I haven't abandoned the idea but it's on the back burner unless I see a great piece available like maybe a Nagra T-Audio or some such. I love the gear too. I'm not into HT at all. However I am looking forward to viewing the DVDs that are included in some of the recorded live CDs I've acquired.

Back
Top Bottom