This is rather depressing...

I know a dozen methods to straighten out this

Are you talking about straightening the cover? I'm not that concerned about the cover. I'm more concerned about the bottom steel support piece that everything inside is connected to. That part is bent down which is creating the bulge out the bottom. I could easily straighten that piece with my shop press if it were out. But that would require taking everything apart.

Sure it sucks but when ever you ship this stuff around it's going to get damaged more often than NOT!!!!

I know this is of little comfort to you at this time but just be glad the damage was on the rear corner and out of sight. Consider looking for a stereo rack that hides the problem. I feel your pain brother. I bought a McIntosh from AudioClassics in NY and it was double boxed, bolted down to a wooden platform and heavily packed and wrapped. It arrived with a puncture through the front that extended right through the faceplate and into the chassis. So how did THAT happen??? AudioClassics did everything but hand deliver it and did stand behind me, they were GREAT.

If you make a claim, and I would, save ALL the boxing and wrapping materials. Take photos of everything including the boxes.

Keep up posted and best of luck however it turns out. Been there!!!!

Also PLEASE let us know if it's working OK.

charles

Bought a MINT Marantz 2235 on BT and it was shipped FED EX and it was trashed. It took a hit so hard it knocked the lighting panel off and it was laying on the main circuit board. That was the third FED EX packaged that the sender has had destroyed by them. Boxed well and somehow they managed to destroy it. My UPS packages sometimes have a ding, but never trashed.

I understand how this bothers you. I have a friend that has a bit of concern about his cars. Another friend, with the same kind of car, assisted in a knuckle-busting hose replacement. There, done, back on the road. Well John couldn't live like that as the writing was opposite of a Factory Install. John undid the work turned the hose around and reinstalled it. Other guy just keeps mentioning it, he doesn't understand.

At least you have a nice 2385 to enjoy using as you search for an even better one. Then you have a spare or one to sell. Good Luck.

Find a sheet metal shop and they should be able to fix it for less than $100. I had a lot of cases that the metal bent due to shipping. My local sheet metal shop were always be able to fix it perfectly and the cost is around $50. And the seller always refund me that given the receipt. Much easier than Fedex Claim.

My concern is the bulge, shows that the case deformed enough to hit something inside, transformer? This was a fair amount of shock.

Most likely it is either working or not, most solid-state parts are fairly resilient and don't have a latent-failure mode from external shock, ... either it broke or it didn't.

Look it over well mechanically, be sure that none of the circuit boards suffered damage, look at the transformer and amp-board mounting ears, etc. If all else if fine and it works properly you just have to choose to keep it or not.

A) Make the seller file a claim. The box is punctured. No argument about shipping damage. Get paid.
B) Fix it. Its been a while since I was in a 2385 but that is the amp location and I think that all comes apart rather easy.

FWIW, chassis are not that hard to straighten. The steel is actually fairly friendly. A good solid hit with a fair sized hammer in just the right spot will usually bring things right back to place.
I've straightened the sub-chassis on some gear without taking much apart. You would be surprised how easy it really is.

I DO understand the point though.
35-40 years of care to keep the like new look and one trip through a professional shipping company in a well packed box and damage.
I have a nice set of wood speakers that were damn near perfect except for the forklift damage caused by that last trip by the pros in a well packed box.

Just make sure that if a claim is made, they don't repossess it and trash it. I doubt that would happen with this type of damage but you never know these days.

I took the case off and here is the area directly behind the dented area on the case. As you can see the hit was very low.

Attachments

• 20170428_152606.jpg
    20170428_152606.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 96
You are right. It must be totally taken apart and handled until the bend is fixed. It may take making an fitted piece to support the main chassis.
It's a lot of work but imagine how it would be. The work involved is along the line of prototype and model work usually done for pre-production samples.
Very involved but done to check an engineers design for functionality. Years ago I worked on the front end of a small Ford car. It took forever to come close to what the designer envisioned compared to the difficulty of making the item. The most difficult area was the outside shelf directly in front of the windshield with louvers, wipers and a very wide contour. All else usually was made to fit the more structural portions. It was getting the structural parts to dimension and workable.

I have heard so many horror stories , that the last time I sold a receiver , I said local pick-up only . I could just not bear the thought of it getting damaged . It did not bother me if I did not get top dollar . I got what I was asking .

I can tell the difference in looks between one of my neglected and "cleaned up" Marantz receivers, and your 2385 well kept museum piece, That is amazing, not too overdone and not restored looking, simply the real deal!

You don't have to worry about FedEx taking your property in order to settle a claim.
However, in defense of FedEx, I've shipped packages with them on well over 100 occasions, and quite a few were heavy amps and receivers. I've had only two times where there was some damage, and both times I was compensated. Thank God it wasn't a vintage piece which was damaged!

Last edited:
I have fully restored quite a few 2385's and they are easily damaged because of their bulk and weight.

I have had several arrive with the entire amp module torn loose from it's mounting screws and the resulting carnage.

Packing these well is an art.

The best way to ship them is in a Pelican case-zero damage no matter how much they're mishandled.

Second best is to cocoon them in a inner and outer two box system.

Let me know if you need some parts.

Hopefully you can get a damage refund.

Bob

Blah, this is depressing to me to read too. I have a Scott tube amp and preamp I want to send to Craig at Nosalves to rebuild. Stories like these are pushing me to a local tech...

The best way to ship them is in a Pelican case-zero damage no matter how much they're mishandled.
Unfortunately, I've had a Pelican case arrive at my facility with a hole almost completely through it. The hole was caused by a fork from a forklift.

Nothing is safe from a sufficiently motivated person!

Blah, this is depressing to me to read too. I have a Scott tube amp and preamp I want to send to Craig at Nosalves to rebuild. Stories like these are pushing me to a local tech...

Tube equipment has the added problem of the transformers mounted on a raised metal chassis.
So if not packed properly the impact if just dropping the box will cause the weight of the transformer(s) to deform the chassis.

It's really critical to properly pack.

Bob

How are the transformer mounts? Did the power boards' mounts take any hit? How about that choke on the right amp board, it looks like it has come loose.

Back
Top Bottom