ClassicalPop/Rock
Styles

Modern CompositionKeyboard

4/5

Available June 2nd, 2017

Roger Waters

RogerWaters.jpg

Editorial Reviews ( From Amazon.com )
Roger Waters, the creative power and songwriting force behind Pink Floyd, presents Is This The Life We Really Want ?, his first rock album in 25 years. The album is produced and mixed by Nigel Godrich (Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Beck, U2, "From the Basement"), and includes 12 new Roger Waters musical compositions and studio performances.

Roger Waters' last studio album, 1992's Amused To Death, was a prescient study of popular culture, exploring the power of television in the era of the First Gulf War. This long-awaited follow-up, Is This The Life We Really Want ?, is an unflinching commentary on the modern world and uncertain times, and a natural successor to such classic Pink Floyd albums as Animals and The Wall.

Tracks on Is This The Life We Really Want ? include: "When We Were Young," "Déjà vu," "The Last Refugee," "Picture That," "Broken Bones," "The Life We Really Want," "A Bird In A Gale," "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World," "Smell the Roses," "Wait For Her," "Oceans Apart," and "Part of Me Died." The lyrics for Wait for Her were written by Roger Waters and inspired by an English translation by an unknown author of "Lesson from the Kama Sutra (Wait for Her)," by Mahmoud Darwish.

The musicians on Is This The Life We Really Want? are: Roger Waters (vocals, acoustic, bass), Nigel Godrich (arrangement, sound collages, keyboards, guitar), Gus Seyffert (bass, guitar, keyboards), Jonathan Wilson (guitar, keyboards), Joey Waronker (drums), Roger Mannning (keyboards), Lee Pardini (keyboards) and Lucius (vocals) with Jessica Wolfe and Holly Proctor.

Available June 2nd, 2017

Roger Waters

View attachment 917990

Editorial Reviews ( From Amazon.com )
Roger Waters, the creative power and songwriting force behind Pink Floyd, presents Is This The Life We Really Want ?, his first rock album in 25 years. The album is produced and mixed by Nigel Godrich (Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Beck, U2, "From the Basement"), and includes 12 new Roger Waters musical compositions and studio performances.

Roger Waters' last studio album, 1992's Amused To Death, was a prescient study of popular culture, exploring the power of television in the era of the First Gulf War. This long-awaited follow-up, Is This The Life We Really Want ?, is an unflinching commentary on the modern world and uncertain times, and a natural successor to such classic Pink Floyd albums as Animals and The Wall.

Tracks on Is This The Life We Really Want ? include: "When We Were Young," "Déjà vu," "The Last Refugee," "Picture That," "Broken Bones," "The Life We Really Want," "A Bird In A Gale," "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World," "Smell the Roses," "Wait For Her," "Oceans Apart," and "Part of Me Died." The lyrics for Wait for Her were written by Roger Waters and inspired by an English translation by an unknown author of "Lesson from the Kama Sutra (Wait for Her)," by Mahmoud Darwish.

The musicians on Is This The Life We Really Want? are: Roger Waters (vocals, acoustic, bass), Nigel Godrich (arrangement, sound collages, keyboards, guitar), Gus Seyffert (bass, guitar, keyboards), Jonathan Wilson (guitar, keyboards), Joey Waronker (drums), Roger Mannning (keyboards), Lee Pardini (keyboards) and Lucius (vocals) with Jessica Wolfe and Holly Proctor.

Record Store Day Edition, limiting myself to new releases and skipping the reissues.

R-10174317-1492876358-9227.jpeg.jpg

Drive-By Truckers ~ Live In Studio · New York, NY · 07/12/16
ATO Records (22 April 2017)

Nothing fancy, just a live run-through of 7 songs in the studio with no overdubs, recorded simply and clearly. Five tracks are from their latest album, with "This ****ing Job" and "One of These Days" as the older songs. Like most RSD releases, this is more of a "for the fans" release than something a DBT neophyte would be interested in. It did come with an MP3 download card.

R-10173298-1492871208-6949.png.jpg

The Fall ~ Live in Clitheroe (The Grand, 25th April 2013)
Dandelion Records (22 April 2017)

This one has bootleg sound quality and is definitely just for us few Fall aficionados. This show was shortly before the release of the band's 30th studio album, Re-Mit. Orange wax, which matches the Fall live album from RSD last year.

R-10174000-1492874138-1512.jpeg.jpg

dope ~ Drugs EP
Environmental Studies (22 April 2017)

The most obscure thing I picked up on RSD, this appears to be the first release by a new Julian Cope side-project. The back cover claims " 'Drugs' is taken from the album SEMI-LEGAL ON THE EDGE OF CULTURE Lyrics by JOHN SINCLAIR/JULIAN COPE". Other than a credit to Julian's daughter Avalon for the cover design, that's all I know.

Four drawn-out psychedelic songs from Cope and the usual suspects (Fat Paul, Philipe Legende, Christopher Holman, Holy McGrail). I also picked up the LP release of Cope's Drunken Songs which was another RSD release, but I posted here about that recording when I bought the CD earlier this year.

R-10167113-1492874016-3621.png.jpg

The Smiths ~ "The Boy with the Thorn in His Side"
Warner Bros. (22 April 2017)

Alternate takes of "Boy" and "Rubber Ring", neither too different than the originally-released recordings, no alternate lyrics or anything. It does have "TRUMP WILL KILL AMERICA" inscribed in the dead wax on the A side.

Here on Earth
Very reminiscent of Bill Frisell's Americana stylings, this is the soundtrack to the movie Kannapolis: A Moving Portrait, a collection of motion picture vignettes taken all over the Piedmont region during the Great Depression by H. Lee Waters. Waters captured the lives of poor but rugged people who lived in the forgotten, rural pockets across the Eastern U.S., images that resonated with Scheinman, who grew up in a smaller, isolated community as well.

2ele3bm.jpg

The Shins ~ Heartworms

This has been out for about a month but I just picked it up late this week. I've only listened to it through a few times and I have mixed feelings about this. "The Shins" haven't really been for a long time, just James Mercer and production. Still, any music that Mercer has put out has always been worth a listen. It's a bit of what you'd expect but also a bit what you might not. A tad too many tracks that just don't do it for me, but the good ones are great. "Fantasy Island" sound like it could have been the title track for a 1980's/John Hughes movie, but that's not a bad thing. Very slick and poppy. "Mildenhall" is the highlight of the album. It reminds me a lot of J.J. Cale, just a guy, a guitar and a synth-drum track. It's hella catchy. I wish there were more tracks like these two and perhaps after a few more listens this will grow on me, but I don't think it will. Still, I'm glad I bought it, that Mercer keeps evolving, and that my pittance of a payment will help support his future efforts.

3/5 rating

61qkUXTqASL._SS500.jpg

Ralph Towner - My Foolish Heart
Release date: February 3, 2017

Towner's first solo guitar release in 10 years, this one may well be my favorite of all his solo guitar releases. While this is mostly Towner on his classical guitar, there are a few tracks that feature his 12 string guitar. From start to finish the writing and playing are varied and engaging. The title track is the lone cover tune, a tribute to the late Bill Evans and his trio recordings at The Village Vanguard, which Towner cites as a major influence on his musical developement in the liner notes (which are extremely rare in the Oregon/Towner catalog).

I've been following Towner since I purchased my first Oregon album, Distant Hills, back in 1974. In the intervening 40+ years I've managed to acquire nearly all of the Oregon releases, most all of his solo projects and some of the earlier work he and the other founding members of Oregon did with The Paul Winter Consort. The good news is that a new Oregon release is also scheduled for later this year.

Back
Top Bottom