CD Player recommendations??

dantay

I am replacing my older Nad Cd player that is acting up .... I don't use it too often but would like to buy used in the 400-600$ range. I have seen Shanling, Camdridge , Exposure and Quad. Any opinions?

I can't fault the neat little Oppo SACD player that I picked up recently. Paid $100 for it and it works perfectly. I have it hooked up to my DAC so I'm only using it as a transport, but reviews on its sonic performance indicate that it's a decent performer.

I recently purchased an Onkyo 7030 because of all the hype, and the Wolfson dacs. Skipped on every cd I played and found out they are using AK4482VT budget dacs. Sent it back and searching for something new. Many retailers still advertising as having Wolfson chip. F.Y.I.

The 7030 needs more than just a while to break in, takes like at least a hundred hours before it starts to open up...

djcool, that may be tru in some cases, but mine has not exibited that characteristic.
I have heard nothing but excelent sq out of it since day one.
My only complaint will be if it doesn't have the Wolfson DACs as advertised.
I will be checkig that

There were 3 chips big eunf to be called DACs non of which had a number matching AK4484VT
and non of which were labled Wolfson.
The user manual says it has a Wolfson DAC in it and thats good enuf for me.
So I would like "Jmodified" to prove his claim of non wolfson DACs in the C7030
if he can.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Marantz 72U. Uses Philips components and sounds fabulous. Very analog sounding. Not thin, or harsh, and fantastic bass. I believe the Philips CD-60 is the equalivent player. There's a nice CD 80 for a little more than your budget on fleabay now.

I am replacing my older Nad Cd player that is acting up .... I don't use it too often but would like to buy used in the 400-600$ range. I have seen Shanling, Camdridge , Exposure and Quad. Any opinions?

Find old Oppo 83se. This is best player you can get. It plays ALL kinds of disks and have audiophile quality stereo DAC. Newer players from Oppo also good, but have some restriction in what they play.

If you only play commercial pressings of CD and SACD, then used Sony 5400 is an excellent choice.

New, I really like my Yamaha CD-S300. My main CD player. Direct out bypasses all sound shaping.

I also have a TEAC CD-P650 as a prior poster suggested. It can dub direct to a USB drive, so that's a cool option if you can use it.

Cheap and used, I really like the old Technics players. There's lots of info out there on them One I have is from the mid-80's and I use it several times a week in my bedroom system.

No idea about multi-disk units. I'll be posting to ask about them as I can use the long play time.

New, I really like my Yamaha CD-S300. My main CD player. Direct out bypasses all sound shaping.

I agree with this; cd-s300 is a nice player with USB input. I also use a Yamaha cd-c600, this is the carousel 5 disk player, also with USB input. These are well built units with excellent sound quality.

Old Technics players are fine, but when I replaced it with the Marantz, it was astonishing how much better my CD's sound, no contest!

I like my TEAC CD-P650. Peace and goodwill.

Second this. I paid a little more than it can be picked up for in the US, but if you are using the player's onboard DAC (instead of digital out), and you'd like a better DAC to use with your iDevice, it is super for the money. Was a great upgrade as both a DAC for my iPhone, and as a CD player from the Integra DVD I was using as a CD player in my single disc system.

Although it is heavily discounted right now, I do believe it was once in the $400 range at launch.

I will throw another nod in for the Yamaha CD-S300. Probably one of the best budget players. Solid build and great sound. Was gonna primarily use it as a transport but the analog out is top notch.

I have joined the ranks of Yam CD S300 owners . It is a very fine sounding mach.
Wonderful low freq responce and overall excellent SQ.
Especially like the USB port. I use it to play the thumb drives from the car and other portable music player.
Different song mixes all in one place so do not have to change discs as often..
Really glad I got it. Definatly recommended.

Last edited:
There were 3 chips big eunf to be called DACs non of which had a number matching AK4484VT
and non of which were labled Wolfson.
The user manual says it has a Wolfson DAC in it and thats good enuf for me.
So I would like "Jmodified" to prove his claim of non wolfson DACs in the C7030
if he can.

I just got the Onkyo C-7030, made in Malaysia June 2017.
I opened it check the inside and when I looked at the chip dac it resembles more the AK4484VT than the wolfson look at the pics.Now I am no tech but I do believe that is the Dac chip but if Im wrong let me know.
I bought it with the understanding of getting the Wolfson, the manual does not have the woflson dac listed in specification.
To be honest the cdp sounds great out of the box but still debating if I will return it.

https://goo.gl/photos/emCzovy2DvYNwpSz5

Last edited:
I heard they switched to an AKM chip. (Which is excellent as well.) Not sure when though.

I wouldn't worry to much about it as the DAC chip has little to do with the final sound. It's more about the analog output stage, power supply and implementation of all the components as a whole. The DAC chip equates to about 10% of the equation. You can have a component with the best DAC chip in the world but if it's not implemented correctly/poorly then it can sound like crap. Same goes in reverse.

The bigger question is how does the Onkyo sound ?

I heard they switched to an AKM chip. (Which is excellent as well.) Not sure when though.

I wouldn't worry to much about it as the DAC chip has little to do with the final sound. It's more about the analog output stage, power supply and implementation of all the components as a whole. The DAC chip equates to about 10% of the equation. You can have a component with the best DAC chip in the world but if it's not implemented correctly/poorly then it can sound like crap. Same goes in reverse.

The bigger question is how does the Onkyo sound ?

you are right implementation is everything.
Now to put things in perspective I came from a mid to high quality system mostly Quiksilver audio set up down to a Denon AVR-3803/1083 with older BDP-S550 Sony bluray Dual Turntable and pioneer reference speakers.
so old stuff but quality still. I used to own thousands $ in Tube equipment. My prized possession was a highly upgraded N.E.W crossroads tube cdp with two 6922 Tungsol tubes which sounded just spectacular see pics. https://goo.gl/photos/Zx8WVwjM1QXFHJBt7

That makes it hard for me to review digital stuff overall as transparency lush and liquidity is what I used to have and craved..
Now without being too harsh the Onkyo is quite dynamic and forceful, cleaner tight bass.With my Acoustic Zen audiophile analog demo recordings,it sounds very impressive clear/transparent/dynamic with a nice soundstage but those quality recordings are a big part of it.
Now on my decent standard cds and female vocals with my current system I actually find the 7030 much less forgiving a bit "glassy" neutral sounding to my ears in this low FI front end of mine.

The blu-ray player in comparison because it is not as detailed and focused it actually feels more warm/fuller but also sluggish if that makes any sense?
I did have a few skips on track 6 of Fiona apple cd (played fine after a quick clean) the bluray player would have no issues and also with the black layered audiophile CDR disk I'm listening to right now it keep skipping the song even after cleaning.

So yes the laser reading issue is diminishing my excitement quickly :)

Reviewing audio is always tricky as it is system dependent.but that skipping issues that I can share without hesitation.
So likely will return it but not for another likely will give a try to another CDP and likely will have to pay a bit more because cost to value is hard to beat.

I'll add to this thoughts later if need be. (had to edit to correct some typos) :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom