Dead 2220B. What should I do?

Progress!

I went ahead and sprayed down the mpx board phono and power amplifier boards with simple Green. A little scrub time and a bit of a rinse and blew them out with something called a sidekick baster. I use it to detail my cars. Blows filtered warm air at an insanely high rate to "blast" water out of edges and crevasses of a certain. Worked perfect for these boards.

I have a question for Steve. When you washed and windexed your unit. Did you disassemble anything?

Attachments

• IMG_20170503_220611.jpg
    IMG_20170503_220611.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 53
Progress!

I went ahead and sprayed down the mpx board phono and power amplifier boards with simple Green. A little scrub time and a bit of a rinse and blew them out with something called a sidekick baster. I use it to detail my cars. Blows filtered warm air at an insanely high rate to "blast" water out of edges and crevasses of a certain. Worked perfect for these boards.

I have a question for Steve. When you washed and windexed your unit. Did you disassemble anything?
Your boards are looking fantastic. To answer your question, no I did not remove anything for the cleaning. Set the receiver in the driveway. Soaked with Windex (except for meters), scrubbed with a paint brush, rinsed with water hose at light pressure, used the brush to help the rinse, (still stayed away from the meters), blew it dry as possible with compressed air with special attention on the pots and switches. Gave it three thorough washings of pots and switches with Deoxit, sprayed Faderlube in pots, dried again with compressed air. The real kicker for me was that it was mid-summer in Texas. My garage probabaly gets 120-130 degrees in the daytime. I left it in there for 2-3 days and had no concerns about water in transformers or anywhere else. It was hot to the touch. When I fired it up, almost all of the noise and hiss was gone. I believe it was because of the Deoxit cleaning of the controls. Anyway, that's pretty much it. If I did it in a cool climate, I would probably let it sit for a couple of weeks before firing it up.
Steve

Your boards are looking fantastic. To answer your question, no I did not remove anything for the cleaning. Set the receiver in the driveway. Soaked with Windex (except for meters), scrubbed with a paint brush, rinsed with water hose at light pressure, used the brush to help the rinse, (still stayed away from the meters), blew it dry as possible with compressed air with special attention on the pots and switches. Gave it three thorough washings of pots and switches with Deoxit, sprayed Faderlube in pots, dried again with compressed air. The real kicker for me was that it was mid-summer in Texas. My garage probabaly gets 120-130 degrees in the daytime. I left it in there for 2-3 days and had no concerns about water in transformers or anywhere else. It was hot to the touch. When I fired it up, almost all of the noise and hiss was gone. I believe it was because of the Deoxit cleaning of the controls. Anyway, that's pretty much it. If I did it in a cool climate, I would probably let it sit for a couple of weeks before firing it up.
Steve

Thanks you've answered my question. I was specifically concerned about the transformer. Wonder how low my oven goes if I could cook it at 120 degrees. That sidekick blower blows pretty powerful and I think i'll use that to dry it out as much as possible. Plus the air comes out a little warm.

Really... once I've deep cleaned this thing I can start to reassemble it and put in an order through mouser for my caps. :) Hopefully! it works once its clean. If not... its troubleshooting time!

Thanks for all the help so far Steven and EVERYONE posting on this thread.

My brother in law has a 2238B across the street and I went over and listened to it. Very nice and looking forward to this little 2220B. I've got to track down some efficient speakers for it though. Any suggestions? I have a set of Boston Acoustic A400's and a pair of Pioneer HPM-40's. I think those would work.

Look at the tone board!

Wow the last guy that owned that didn't take very good care of it. :D

I would give your speakers a shot with it once you have it fired up. I have a 2216 (that has some issues), but it will push my Paradigm Titan bookshelf speakers easily, and the are high 80's efficiency. I bet it will push your speakers nicely for moderate listening levels.

Behold. A clean(er) 2220b.

This was a spray down with simple Green and scrub what I could get at with a toothbrush. Then rinse. Then spray again, let sit, scrub, rinse and blow dry with my sidekick blower.

It worked really well! I think whoever owned this receiver was a HEAVY smoker. Some of the aromas coming off this was a hint of cigarettes as I was rinsing and scrubbing.

Hopefully I didn't ruin anything. Oven only goes down to 170. Not sure that is low enough to dry it in there so I'll just let it sit for a couple weeks while I finalize my cap list. Looking at doing a full silmic recap and a partial job on what patfront listed in his "state of the art 2220b" post.

Attachments

• IMG_20170504_213327.jpg
    IMG_20170504_213327.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20170504_213403.jpg
    IMG_20170504_213403.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20170504_213319.jpg
    IMG_20170504_213319.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20170504_213327.jpg
    IMG_20170504_213327.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 47
OK i just put in an order for all the caps. Had to order from two places in that mouser did not have 3.3uf 50v elna silmic II caps. I ordered from handmade electronics as well and picked up some new wire for filter caps as per patfont's "state of the art 2220B post."

some of the caps are backordered and I elected to have it all ship once they are in. I'll do a bit of waiting in the mean time. :p

That's it. You might also want to get some Caig Faderlube F5 to follow the D5 in the pots. Then blow it out with compressed air to get rid of the excess liquid.

THanks, i called my local shack to see if they had it but they said they aren't getting any for two or three weeks... so much for trying to buy local :/

THanks, i called my local shack to see if they had it but they said they aren't getting any for two or three weeks... so much for trying to buy local :/

Also, when we are talking pots we are talking more than just the dials on the front. All the small ones on the boards as well yes?

AND! THermal paste. what kind! Looking at putting an order in amazon today or tomorrow I need to fill out my cart for that free shipping :)

Last edited:
A common thermal paste is Dow 340. I think Deoxiting the trimmers is a good thing. But they won't need the Faderlube since they are set once and left alone.

Parts are almost all in. I think in need a new soldering iron. I've got a cheap 60W iron but i believe its TOO hot. I also ripped a pad off one of the boards while removing one of those tiny square posts. I'll have to use a jumper to connect it to where it was originally going.

Here's hoping the rest of the parts get in soon. Should be up and running within a month or two!

Back
Top Bottom