Any Portland Oregon clubs?

There is an active group in Portland. Looks like their next meet is on Sunday. Might be worth joining them instead of reinventing the wheel.

I didn't even know about that group. Ironically, my dad is actually part of that group. If I didn't spend 10 months out of the year overseas for work, I would pay the $12 for a yearly membership.

I'm in. I live in SW Hills near Hillsdale. Went to an OTS (Oregon Triode Society) meeting once and it was fun, but got really busy with school and never made another meeting.

I'm an hour south in Salem with little kids so I don't get to Portland as much as I would like. There is an active group in Portland. Looks like their next meet is on Sunday. Might be worth joining them instead of reinventing the wheel. Here is the info for anyone interested.

https://www.meetup.com/Portland-Audio-Club/

I have been working in Salem for the past year. Reverse commute is not horrible, but I may be ready to make the move soon.

Joined that MeetUp group with 90 day trial. Will try to get to next meet.

I'm in Portland, and would love a meetup. Is Sunday still a go? Can't stay much past 6:00, but would love to meet other AKers.

I'm planning on showing up. Hope to see some people there! I'll be wearing a brown Marantz shirt.

I am in Portland.....does such a club exist yet?

Side note...anyone here deal with Jamac in portland, on sandy blvd?

As near as I can tell, the guy (Ron) is a total hack.

He refoamed my JBL L65 woofers a year or so ago and did a perfect job.

I am in Portland.....does such a club exist yet?

Side note...anyone here deal with Jamac in portland, on sandy blvd?

As near as I can tell, the guy (Ron) is a total hack.

He refoamed my JBL L65 woofers a year or so ago and did a perfect job.

I only have 2 distinct experiences, both good. In one case I took drivers from rare set of "Sylvan" speakers for re-cone and Ron recognized the fact that he supplied the drivers to the designers in the 80's. Was able to give me more information than any other source on the history of the speakers.
See thread here....
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sylvan-speakers-portland-oregon.533998/

My impression is that he/they work more with the pro audio community than audiophiles. Struck me as the type that do only what needs to be done and don't get wrapped up in, or have the patience, for tweaking. Maybe they're jaded or have seen it all before. But, I kind of like similar traits in my auto mechanic. No up-selling or getting charged for unnecessary work.

Both times I had them do work (re-foam and re-cone) they did a near perfect job.

Interesting. Here are my experiences with jamac.

1) Walked in with a pair of Fisher xp7b's to get them checked out. First ever set of vintage speakers. Ron pulled out the drivers to test them and give them all a look over. Ron pinched the speaker leads between the cabinet and speaker baskets on both 12in woofers AND left 2 screws out. I gave him this "wtf??" kind of look and he gave me his screw driver and said "if you want to nit pick do it yourself". I indicated that the leads were pinched and that I am hardly nit picking. He saw it for himself and corrected it. After everything was together he listened to every driver and said it was all good and they are ready to go. While listening to them all hooked up I noticed a tweeter was not working and I pointed it out to him. He looked at me and said "you are right, let's see if I have another one". He did and he sold it to me for six bucks. Why didn't he catch that?!?!

2) He refoamed 6 speakers for me. All came out good.

3) He recapped a crossover for me. He wanted to do it while I waited and needed my help to do it which was fine with me. In the process of removing the old caps and soldering in the new ones he melted 3 huge chunks of plastic out of the crossover bezzle. That PISSED me off although I refrained from showing it. I pointed it out and he said it does not effect performance. WTF?!?!

4) I brought him the mids out of my mach twos for refoam. He installed the wrong foam and the screws that hold the speaker in place pinch the surround. I showed it to him and he told me to silicone the speakers into place rather than screwing them down. I did not want to do that (who would?). I asked if he could redo it with the right foam and he said that's the closest foam to the correct foam he had, he refused to order in the correct foam and that the only solution he was willing to offer was to silicone the speakers into place. I refused to do that so he cut up the foam with a razor blade and gave me my money back.

Last edited:
Well that makes 2 of us!
Anymore AK'ers out there?
Got to be more than just a few.... PDX's population is exploding at the seams!

PQ

Sure, maybe we could plan another get-together? I'm finally back after a long battle with the flu ... and ready for a beer!

Aaron99 and I are on the north side - maybe the Kennedy School?

Back
Top Bottom