Votes: 33 37.9%
  • Home - Win 10, Work - Other

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Home - Other, Work - Win 10

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Home - Other, Work - Other

Votes: 25 28.7%

• Total voters
Reading the results, I'm surprising that over half of respondents are using Win 10 at work. For those of you that responded that way, do any of you work for a large company with its own IT department? Most corporate IT departments that I'm familiar with are sticking with Windows 7 for the time being.

Home: 2 Win 10 devices, 1 Win 7 (my laptop). I decided not to upgrade. HP said that model hadn't been tested with it by them.
Work: Very large corp (Fortune 100) . Current env is Win 7 but there's a project to move to 10. My team is testing our apps for compatibility as I type.

To be honest I just haven't used 10 much as my wife and daughter use our Win 10 devices pretty much exclusively.

Windows 10 and Linux Mint on my PC at home, at work we use Windows 7. Every OS (and I've used loads of them) has its pro's and con's. Just keep an eye on your privacy settings in W10.

I have WIndows 10 on four laptops, three gaming machines, one server and a HTPC. Works very well in all cases. Win 7 at work..

I just upgraded to 8.1 Pro here on the HTPC. Not sure why, as I don't use any of the advanced features. At least this way, I still get the updates.

Still trying to figure out how to upgrade my Acer desktop to Pro ... it came bundled with the standard Home package. Wouldn't mind getting BitLocker to work on that machine, and that only works with Pro, but not sure it's worth a full re-install. Seems to me that would be fairly painless, but I expect I'd want to run a full backup first, just in case.

PS ... I did download the full offline install package for W10 a while back. Wonder if that still works now that they're past the "free" period ...

Oh. Another fan of Classic Shell emulating the XP interface here. Metro has no place in my world.

Outside of PCs or software for a particular plan or aim (like a HTPC) the OS platform is becoming less important. I use Mint, OS X and Windows 10 but do the same thing on each.

My wife uses Win 10 for her volunteer stuff on her home PC. I use Win 7 at work because my employer requires it, and they own the laptop. LInux for my personal use, including my home music/media server.

Still trying to figure out how to upgrade my Acer desktop to Pro ... it came bundled with the standard Home package. Wouldn't mind getting BitLocker to work on that machine, and that only works with Pro, but not sure it's worth a full re-install
Type "activation" in the Cortana box and follow the prompts to upgrade. All you need is to have, or buy, a Pro product code. No need to do a full re-install.

Cortana is a W10 thing, and I'm currently on W8.1 ...

- Just tried the "change activation key" in W8.1 Home and put in the key from a fresh unused copy of W8 Pro ... didn't like it.

- Also tried the Add New Features and that said I had a good key and started to check the computer. Blew out after a couple minutes and said something went wrong ... real helpful there. Once, twice, three times ... screw it ...

- Also tried the W8 Pro installation disk, which eventually prompted me to Save Nothing from the old installation. Yikes! It would have saved all my data, but I'd have to reinstall all my other software. No thanx! I guess I can live without it.

Win 8 at work, Win 7 at home. Our machines are very slow, the upgrade to win10 did not go well on the few who attempted.

For my personal PC, It was built at the tail end of 2010, with win7, and i7 and 16gb ram. It still runs smooth, and games fine, I have no reason to upgrade to win10 anytime soon.. and at this rate my PC will probably keep going till it hits 10yrs old lol.

Reading the results, I'm surprising that over half of respondents are using Win 10 at work. For those of you that responded that way, do any of you work for a large company with its own IT department? Most corporate IT departments that I'm familiar with are sticking with Windows 7 for the time being.

I do work for an outfit with roughly 150 employees. We're mostly sticking with 7 for now, but a few of the newer laptops (including the two I use) have been permitted to use 10. Mostly upper-level execs, a few higher-level managers, and me - the IT manager (my boss) prefers 7 and is sticking with it. I guess I'm among the lucky ones...if you can call it that. I'd rather use 8.1 but my boss hates 8.1 so none of our computers have that.

Mine locked up this weekend on a scheduled of Windows 10. I couldn't get it it to start in many ways. I was lucky enough to go back a couple of updates and that took. Beware!

If the day ever comes I can no longer use Win 7 I will swing everything over to my Linux box. I've worked in the computer field starting in 1979 and retired a few years ago as a free lance troubleshooter flying all around the country for Fortune 500 companies. I have worked with, and troubleshot, every version of Windows ever sold. Having said all that I wouldn't touch Win 10 with a stick. For you folks concerned with protecting your privacy and think you have turned off all the privacy concerns within Win 10 the only thing I can say is you only think you have turned it all off. What you have done is turn off everything they told you about, and nothing more. MS didn't give away their newest iteration out of the goodness of their heart so ask yourself, what's in it for them? Think about it.

If the day ever comes I can no longer use Win 7 I will swing everything over to my Linux box. I've worked in the computer field starting in 1979 and retired a few years ago as a free lance troubleshooter flying all around the country for Fortune 500 companies. I have worked with, and troubleshot, every version of Windows ever sold. Having said all that I wouldn't touch Win 10 with a stick. For you folks concerned with protecting your privacy and think you have turned off all the privacy concerns within Win 10 the only thing I can say is you only think you have turned it all off. What you have done is turn off everything they told you about, and nothing more. MS didn't give away their newest iteration out of the goodness of their heart so ask yourself, what's in it for them? Think about it.
I know, I think Bill Gates is trying to talk to me through my computer right now!:eek:

Seriously though, I agree, and after hearing that the new TV's are doing bad things...and abuse of power these days I am not surprised...I think what you are saying just like those kits for your DNA is an 'innocent' way of saying, we are going to gather information about everyone (not sure why yet - power/control) Google is behind the BS too I would think since their street cams can peek in your yard through the back alley!!

That is it time to go underground! ha ha

So do you know something specific about privacy you can share or is it an assumption? If it is that is not saying it isn't true, likely it is but I do like specifics..

Well, general updates for Win 7 have stopped and only is getting security updates. When 2020 hits, Win 7 is dead.

People that are all up in arms about Win 10 probably also have cell phones and they report MORE than Win 10. Also, Win 7 also reports back, so does win 8.1 and OS X, it is just that MS decided to tell you WHAT they are collecting and that you can turn it off in Win 10. You can't in the others.
botrytis so are there still updates for win7 that we can get or is it shut down...I was not sure as I disconnected my win 7 stuff thinking they or thought it was over for window 7?

Only major security updates. Most people have Intel CPU's and those have a huge hole. I would more worry about that :D (I have several myself).

https://arstechnica.com/security/20...-in-intel-chips-is-worse-than-anyone-thought/
Good thing I use AMD in those ones 6 cpu and quad...I built the 6 cpu in 2012 just plugged it in two months ago! Oh, well I like vintage! ha ha ha

I could run a line to it and see if there is an update for FooBar 2000, I was going to try that Jriverxxx I hear it is better than Foo but I try to be as cheap as I can be to save for garage sales!!! LOL

Where I work they're sticking with 7 for as long as possible. At home I'm still using XP and Vista (yecch) on the lab computer. There was never a free upgrade option for me. Soon I'll replace the XP machine and probably go with 10. My fear is it might not support my nice old Epson scanner and original 5p printer.

Back
Top Bottom