Marantz 2270 nearly mint

rhodus

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just received from eBay. It is the cleanest and most unmolested vintage receiver I have purchased so far and it sounds incredible. It has obviously been stored away most of its life and only lightly used. I'm not going to do anything but clean the controls, change the faceplate to black, and put it in a custom cabinIMG_20170505_120241720.jpg et to enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_20170505_120254138.jpg
    IMG_20170505_120254138.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20170505_120304349.jpg
    IMG_20170505_120304349.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 80
Wow. That's beautiful! Nice find. It's hard to choose between the silver and the black which one looks best. I'm with you. If it sounds great, just listen to it. :thumbsup:
Of course I am keeping the original faceplate in storage in case I want to change it back. The case is German made mdf with piano grade black lacquer....stunning. Pictures do not do it justice..

I have a wood veneer case from what I'm sure is that same German company. Beautiful cabinets. I've seen the pics of the black lacquer case on their website. I always thought that case and black faceplate would be stunning.

I have heard of the mating of a 2270 preamp to a Pioneer SX1250 amp. I now have had the fortunate opportunity to try it and hear it for myself. It is a match made in heaven. The 2270 preamp is superior to the 1250 preamp in my opinion. The difference is not subtle. I have the parts to make a "Frankenceiver" from a Pioneer SX1250 and a Marantz 2270. This will be my next project. Do not worry, the 2270 and 5590 in the above pics will not be touched for this project. I have other units that will donate to this cause. More to come!

If I may ask, where are you sourcing the black faceplate from? I currently have a 2270 that should be arriving tomorrow and am considering the same faceplate swap.

If I may ask, where are you sourcing the black faceplate from? I currently have a 2270 that should be arriving tomorrow and am considering the same faceplate swap.

I got one a few years back from AK member TMZ2. I live in Canada; he shipped to me from the States. It's flawless and looks great. Here's a pic:

IMG_1701.jpg
Alternatively, they are available here, but I've not seen one of these in person.

Get it from TMZ2 - you won't be disappointed!

Thanks Captain581, I saw the alternative and sent them an email earlier this morning. Apparently they have experienced difficulty with getting the plates anodized without damage and have tried three different shops. This is actually bad news since they were planning to offer black with champagne lettering along with standard silver.

Tony's were the real deal!
Professionally produced,true laser etching,the proper oem thickness aluminum,anodizing was perfect!

Bob

I sent Tony a note through AK, my understanding is that there may be a waiting list for the next batch if he does it again. If he could do one like this it would be outstanding:

2270_fp.jpg

Last edited:
I found mine on the bay about a year ago. I had it for another 2270 that needs restoration. Can't remember the name but it is probably the same AKer that we hear about, TMZ2, Tony. The black case I purchased from Pathe Wings in Germany. I was on a waiting list for it and then it took 4 weeks to get here but it is worth it. The build quality is outstanding. They also make solid walnut cases.

I have heard of the mating of a 2270 preamp to a Pioneer SX1250 amp.

I think i will try that. i dont listen to my SX1250 much and was thinking of selling, my 2270 is right beside it so its an easy jump. if i like how that sounds maybe i will try the 1060 though it and see how that sounds with some power behind it

Back
Top Bottom