Votes: 33 37.9%
  • Home - Win 10, Work - Other

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Home - Other, Work - Win 10

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Home - Other, Work - Other

Votes: 25 28.7%

• Total voters
Very few have actually patched the hole (Red Hat is one). You actually, with most distros, have to patch the hole manually. This includes Android and these are not being patched fast at all.

I'm not sure what to do about my Android phone, but I use Ukuu Kernel Update Utility to install kernel updates on my laptop. Works great.

There is no doubt that running Linux requires a little more knowledge and effort than running Windows.

Last edited:
botrytis said:
XP and Vista are both dead. There are no options other than to unplug them from the internet.

Only if you let your mind get filled with MSM garbage.. Then you will be thinking LIKE THEY WANT YOU THINKING!!

Otherwise no...... Use whatever OS makes you happy :)

I use Windows 10 on my recently built gaming PC. I disabled Cortana , silent install and few other telemetry features of Windows 10 . So far so good . I only switched to Windows because Windows 7 and 8.1 are not supported with my processor ( i7 7700k).

...I am typing this on an OLD Centrino DUO notebook, I am using lxle linux, which is meant for older PC's. This is an indestructible PC, an old Toshiba, just using it for stuff like this :D

Haha! Me too :)

This is a 2008ish Tecra A-10 Centrino Duo (core 2 Duo P8400 2.2GHz). I was given it for free. I love resurrecting quality machines and now it has a 250G Intel 540 SSD in it and Win10. It's faster than just about every other machine in the house now- it's insane. I love quality hardware, like pre Lenovo Thinkpads and the older top model Toshibas. They go forever, cost nothing and are a joy to use.

I have to maintain a win95 (pentium 100) machine for my audio aquisition hardware too! That's fun and games, hacking into a Dallas RTC to replace the battery is no fun.

Last edited:
I use Win 10 on my rather elderly HP 'NetBook' (remember them? :D) with an Intel 'Atom' processor - I added a GB of ram, for 2GB total, (the maximum) it is reasonably fast, and usable for my needs.

I just fixed an 'update' problem on it, by effectively re-installing the OS for a later revision, it kept all my data and apps as promised, but I had them backed up anyway. ;)

I use Windows 7 at home and at work ;)

Last edited:
I changed my vote from "Home - Win 10, Work - Other" to "Home - Other, Work - Other". I wanted to play ball with Windows 10 cuz it was on my machine when I bought it new and it didn't seem like a bad OS assuming I could fight and disable all the intrusiveness and telemetry. But this recent battle to stop the forced installation of the "Creators Update" was the last straw.

Windows 10 is now wiped clean from my machine and I'm now running Linux Mint. WOW !!!!!! I'd forgotten how cool computers can be. I feel like a kid who just got the greatest 1990's type Christmas present. I love the command line "SUDO" installs - and I even built a few things from source tarballs (and git "clone"). I wish I'd done this two years ago when I bought the machine at Walmart.

I use win 10 home on my dell latitude 5420.I did install a hybrid 1 tb hard drive.Works fine and I downloaded it for free from ms about 2 weeks ago.You have till the 31,st to download for free under upgrades for people who need assistive tech.No requirement to prove you are disabled.

I installed Windows 10 (Had Windows 8.1) if for no other reason to extend the useful life of a recent Laptop purchase with support services.

Understand I am usually one of the last people to adopt new technology. If the Windows XP on my old desktop was still supported, I would still be using it.

My biggest compliant is regular updates keeps me from using it sometimes. I went through the settings to try to correct it. Its OK now.

I think a clean install and careful attention to settings would go a long way to making life with Windows 10 easier and more effective. A clean install might eliminate some useful apps though. I just uninstalled the apps I don't want. It may not be as effective as a clean install, but it works well enough for me.

Last edited:
NOWHERE.

M$ can shove 10 where the sun doesn't shine. I will continue to use 7 while eventually migrating to Linux. If I still need Windows for any of the software I use after 7 is no longer supported, I'll run it on a dedicated machine with no 'net access or in a dual boot setup with no 'net access when Windows is booted.

NOWHERE.

M$ can shove 10 where the sun doesn't shine. I will continue to use 7 while eventually migrating to Linux. If I still need Windows for any of the software I use after 7 is no longer supported, I'll run it on a dedicated machine with no 'net access or in a dual boot setup with no 'net access when Windows is booted.
The same here at home. Communications with banks etc requires the use of supported software.
So, I use Windows 7 only because I must, to comply with banking rules and some of my hardware needs it (for example: DCA75 transistor tester...).

My 3 XP machines I keep at service pack 2 level not newer, so I can just swap over the disks to a newer machine if I want, install some drivers and it just runs without the changed hardware check. No need to reinstall anything.

There is nothing I have yet, needing windows 10.
Where I work they're sticking with 7 for as long as possible. At home I'm still using XP and Vista (yecch) on the lab computer. There was never a free upgrade option for me. Soon I'll replace the XP machine and probably go with 10. My fear is it might not support my nice old Epson scanner and original 5p printer.
Windows 7 supports the HP 5P and 6P although HP took drivers from the site, but you can use the "generic pcl"driver. Mine are both parallel and for win7 I needed to read the chip type on the parallel card to find the driver for it...
I love these small printers. I bought my 5P and 6P for nearly nothing and including NOS cartridges I spent maybe 200 for 10 years of printing (excluding paper). Small and reliable.

This thread is a bit old, but a while back I treated myself to a new machine. It's more of a CAD and image processing machine, than a gaming machine. i7-7700K, 4.2 GHz & a Nvidia K1200 video card. Went with Windows 10 Pro and couldn't be happier. My old HP5P printer works, and my Epson 4490 scanner works. Viewsonic VP2468 monitor for the image processing stuff as it offers a fair bang for the buck.

Well, it is your PC that is the issue OR the way you setup the dual boot NOT Win 10. People always blame MS when 90-95% it is either them or the hardware manufacturer.

Just remember Linux supports only name brand peripherals and the problems you had with Windows, well, you can have those EXACT same problems with Linux. Linux is not a panacea.
Well, there really is no "issue" right now. I never said there was one.:dunno: As I said, I just choose not to run Win 10 on any of my computers. There are many reasons for it, and I'm not going to argue about them, but ultimately it is still MY CHOICE.

home
and i like it, but
i have had it die during updates 2 times, turns out it doesnt like my pcie usb card
i have shut off Cortana and applied an app to go back to the old style desktop

Guess I just don't like change as much as I use to, always welcomed new widows programs but I absolutely hate Window 10. Put it on my tower and removed it 4 days later. I have a nice laptop that has win 10 on it, almost 2 years old now and hardly used it. I tried several of the programs that immulates the win7 start up menu and it's better to me, but still don't like it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom