Gunsmith in the house?

whoaru99

Epic Member
Whilst picking up after cleaning the following pistols I have the dreaded leftover mystery part.

Ruger MkII
1911A1
Beretta 92F
Colt Anaconda (is stainless so pretty sure it ain't from that).

I've torn down the first three again but not seeing where/if this belongs. I know it was not on the bench before starting because I was working on a towel that I'd shaken out numerous times prior to starting.

It is roughly 5/16" long by 1/8" diameter.

Any ideas where it might belong?

2017-05-07 22.27.51.jpg

Barrel link pin on 1911? Not sure how you could get them back together without this pin?

All of them cycle?

It's not #33/spring plug. The mystery part is way, way smaller than that. It's only 5/16" long and 1/8" diameter.

Thanks for doing some looking, but I think not #11 either. I believe that would be hollow but the mystery part is a solid pin.

Thanks for doing some looking, but I think not #11 either. I believe that would be hollow but the mystery part is a solid pin.
I would suggest in the future to do one gun at a time unless you have more then one work station. Myself i have different stack-able trays . so i can never mix parts. I do all my own loading also . Take it slow an steady. Aim small miss small

I would suggest in the future to do one gun at a time unless you have more then one work station. Myself i have different stack-able trays . so i can never mix parts. I do all my own loading also . Take it slow an steady. Aim small miss small

I did disassemble only one at a time, but didn't notice the mystery piece until I was rearranging to start on the rifles. As well, I know that I did not intentionally remove that part. It had to have fallen out of something when I set it to the side to work on another part of the same pistol.

What seems odd is that they're all back together and seem to cycle fine. I don't like the idea of having to run live ammo through all nine guns again just after cleaning them...but I suppose at some point the function has to be checked in a live fire manner. :dunno:

Next time though I will for sure be using a towel that doesn't have a pattern with dark spots and moderately deep pile on it.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't live fire any of them until I found out where that pin came from. The manufacturer didn't put in in there for laughs.

Where is your manuals and exploded view of all the parts? I would check into that if still a mystery, and no way would I start firing with unknown missing parts.

I always do one gun at a time as suggested earlier for similar reasons.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't live fire any of them until I found out where that pin came from. The manufacturer didn't put in in there for laughs.

I don't disagree, but I've been through the parts diagrams several times and have since disassembled/reassembled them twice more now with no indication where that came from/where it goes. Can only repeat the same action so many times getting the same result before you have to move on to something else/next step.

As far as the manufacturer putting it there, yeah, I get that. However, by the same token there has to be a place for it to go and all spaces seem properly occupied.

I've had all these for years and have disassembled all of them numerous times to this same level (basically field strip, not total disassembly) with no recollection of a part like that needing to be placed back.

Hell, at this point I'm not even sure it came from any of the guns. That's just my assumption since I don't have any better explanation why it came to be where it was. It's a real headscratcher!

(As previously mentioned, while I did do multiple in succession, there was never more than one disassembled/reassembled at any given time).

Last edited:
It is roughly 5/16" long by 1/8" diameter.

View attachment 925787

Is it 2 pieces? The color makes it look like a blued part fitting into an unblued part.

Hell, at this point I'm not even sure it came from any of the guns.

I don't see any wear on it. Any of the pins that would come out might have some bearing wear even slight. Granted I don't have any of the same handguns but I can't think of any with a part like that.

It's just one piece. Black, almost like a coating on each end, not really like blued per se. There are a couple real small spots on it, but to your point nothing that really looks like bearing/pivot point wear.

I might have to break down and bring it by a couple shops for their opinion. Unfortunately none right in town so it'll have to be a one-of-these-Saturdays road trip.

Not knowing what any of the springs in your guns look like, could it be something someone put in behind a spring to shim it up?

Back
Top Bottom