Tuner arrived today.

Whitebear15

Hi, Dont know if this question has been asked before, bought a tuner of ebay Marantz 104, it arrived today, it works fine but the turning meter is reading wrong, to me anyway .In FM mode the stereo light only comes on when meter needle is over to the right, the same as the AM postion. If I get the needle dead center the stereo light goes off and you can tell its in mono. I hope its a easy solve and just a ajustment needed. Dont want to go messing inside because I dont know what Im doing. Photo attached. Cheers Rob20170511_180508.jpg

The combination of symptoms and "I don't know what I'm doing" isn't a good one, unfortunately. It's out of alignment which isn't usually a match with "easy solve" for DIY without the typical test equipment used for that adjustment. That said, these are not particularly complicated tuners and it's not impossible that an expert could walk you through a quick and dirty adjustment on that particular issue - improvement is definitely possible, even if you don't have the wherewithal for accurate alignment on hand.

John

Hi John, Well after reading information on the net, I had ago at aligment myself. Marked all the pots, so I could return them to their original postion. Nothing made any differance to the meter needle. I managed ( after messing) to get the tuner back to how it was, just anoying that the meter is wrong. There is a vintage repair shop not to far from me. Think I will give them a ring. Many Thanks Rob

That is likely to be the discriminator transformer in the FM detector.

It is a simple adjustment using the correct, non metallic alignment tool.

Your tuner may have other issues, but this is a simple adjustment/check that may take care of your issue.

The 10.7 MHz IF is taken care of by a series of non adjustable ceramic filters (no alignment needed)

The adjustment is the top core of L106. It would be adjusted by disconnecting the FM antenna and setting the tuner to a frequency where you do not hear any station, just interstation hiss.

Adjust the top core of L106 until the tuning meter is centered. It is an inductor not a pot (potentiometer).

If you did adjust L106 and it did not make any difference then there may be additional issues.

If you adjusted the top core of L106 did you use the correct non metallic hex tool?

The service manual is available on HIFI Engine. No charge, but you do have to register. This is good site.

That is likely to be the discriminator transformer in the FM detector.

It is a simple adjustment using the correct, non metallic alignment tool.

Your tuner may have other issues, but this is a simple adjustment/check that may take care of your issue.

The 10.7 MHz IF is taken care of by a series of non adjustable ceramic filters (no alignment needed)

The adjustment is the top core of L106. It would be adjusted by disconnecting the FM antenna and setting the tuner to a frequency where you do not hear any station, just interstation hiss.

Adjust the top core of L106 until the tuning meter is centered. It is an inductor not a pot (potentiometer).

If you did adjust L106 and it did not make any difference then there may be additional issues.

If you adjusted the top core of L106 did you use the correct non metallic hex tool?

The service manual is available on HIFI Engine. No charge, but you do have to register. This is good site.
Hi, Many Thanks for the advice, 20170512_090540.jpg your a star, guess what? Meter now sorted using your advice.

:trebon:

Figured someone that knew Marantz alignment process would have a solution for you... knew it was the discriminator but I mainly do Tandberg receivers & tuners and they are a bit different.

BTW it's possible that the inductor was just jarred during shipment - usually they're pretty stiff to move but I sometimes find them loose like someone has been playing with it too much, end up having to add a drop of paint to keep it from getting knocked out of alignment again down the road.

John

Hi John, Yes it was quite loose, and could have moved while in transit. Ive even sorted the mute button out as well, so all up and running now. Looking for wooden case now, for the 104 tuner, going to cost more than the tuner to buy one. Tryed to make one today, but Im useless at wood work, made a right cockup, gave up in the end. Thanks for the advice. Rob

There's a 2100 tuner for sale locally here with the WC-122 (or equivalent) case... I kind of like that version myself, though seems most people like the full wraparound 22 style. I keep looking at the listing but have to remind myself the last thing I need is another tuner in the house.

John

The small form amps and tuners use a WC-10 cabinet. 22 or 122 is for the full sized units. I have a 1060 paired with a 105 tuner. I have a cabinet on the 1060 but still need one for the tuner. The cabinets have really shot up in price since I bought mine. Good luck with the hunt!

Does the WC-10 have that same 3-piece design like the 122? That's what I am seeing on this 2100... beveled on either side but not the top, and no bottom panel.

John

This is my attemp at making a case for the 104 tuner, still working on it, Im no joiner but hopefully it will look alright in the end. 20170513_103405.jpg

Nice work. It looks good. :thumbsup: several of the cabinets ive bought were sold cheap because they were really scratched up bad. A lot of the time the scratches are just in the clear coat. Carfull sanding and a new coat of clear they look good as new. Just keep checking that auction site for a beater. One I payed very little for because one of the joints had come loose. A little glue and clamps was all that was needed. even if the veneer is bad, you can put new veneer over the top pretty easily.

Nice work. It looks good. :thumbsup: several of the cabinets ive bought were sold cheap because they were really scratched up bad. A lot of the time the scratches are just in the clear coat. Carfull sanding and a new coat of clear they look good as new. Just keep checking that auction site for a beater. One I payed very little for because one of the joints had come loose. A little glue and clamps was all that was needed. even if the veneer is bad, you can put new veneer over the top pretty easily.
Lavane, You dont see second hand cabinets here in the UK and if you did, it would be loads of money. I cant believe the prices of vintage Hifi in America compaired to us here in the UK, we always pay top notch.

There's a 2100 tuner for sale locally here with the WC-122 (or equivalent) case... I kind of like that version myself, though seems most people like the full wraparound 22 style. I keep looking at the listing but have to remind myself the last thing I need is another tuner in the house.

John
John
The correct three piece wood case for the 2100 tuner is the WC-136. To my knowledge Marantz never made a full wrap case for the 2100 back in the day but there are some woodworkers that custom make and advertise them from time to time on eBay.
FYI an excellent reference on the classic Marantz models and the wood cases associated with them can be found at:
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html.
Carmine

Back
Top Bottom