That thing is HUGE! What's your largest receiver?B

ChefE

The Golden Age of Audio made some monsters. The HD Age has brought some big'ones too. Vintage gear such as the Wintec R-1120 makes the big Sansui QRX-9001 look small which trumps a newer
Nakamichi R-1 in comparing size. As does a Yamaha RX-V1400 and the like because every feature conceived is stuffed inside. I don't know about you, but I NEED "Hall- Concert- Sci-fi mode B- Church" options when I'm listening Air Supply or Iron Maiden on cassette tape or record or CD or DAT or LaserDisk or BluRay or BetaMax or 3 video tapes or on ITunes or Spotify or XM or FM or AM radio from my rig's main LR speakers up front and those at my side and in back and those way up in the ceiling, and especially in Room 3 because tone controls aren't enough.

Bigger does not equal better and there's everything in between. But what are the biggest receivers ever made ? (yes a G-33000 counts since it can be one unit) And how and where did you keep them? Who makes a audio component cabinet with interior shelving for gear over 19" wide?IMG_1130.JPG

Top to bottom : Wintec R-1120 stereo receiver, 24 1/8 inches wide x 7" x 19" including knobs.
Sansui 8900ZDB, 22 1/4" wide.
Sansui G-7700, almost 20" wide.
Sansui QRX-777, 22" wide.
Dual C830 cassette deck and Infinity 2500 speakers on stands.
* They all work.

I'm going to have to say that the pig I have on my bench presently is without doubt the winner in my case.Huge doesn't even begin to describe it!
Rotel RX-1603. 23 5/8''w x 7''h x 18 7/8''d & 73lbs. For you metric geezers,that's 600w x 180h x 480d & 33kg's.

Pic from the net:

Rotel%2BRX-1603%2Btop.JPG

back-in-rack.jpg

And ya ... finding a cabinet that works for one of those bad boys can be a problem. I ended up building my own. On the bright side, that left lots of room to upscale the monitor on the HTPC ...

home-again.jpg

PS ... the size isn't just for looks either ... there's a LOT packed in ...

completed-xformer.jpg

IMG_3191.JPG IMG_1661.JPG IMG_1659.JPG Not sure if newer receivers are allowed in this thread, but thought I would share one of the last great sounding Uber receivers that's built like a tank, at 73lbs 18in long 17in wide 9in tall rated to 4ohms and a true 150wpc, it's definitely a back muscle puller as it did just that to my back when I foolishly thought I'd just pick it up right quick and move it to another rack (not smart). Anyway onkyo did a very good job with this one (onkyo TX-nr1000) and extremely clean on the inside as well. Great looking receivers on here and lots of good listening, happy listening all :thumbsup:

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
Don't currently own it, but I'd have to say my biggest was the Fisher RS-1060. I think it measured at 23" wide, weighed a ton.

View attachment 929376 View attachment 929379 View attachment 929380 Not sure if newer receivers are allowed in this thread, but thought I would share one of the last great sounding Uber receivers that's built like a tank, at 73lbs and a true 150wpc, it's definitely a back muscle puller as it did just that to my back when I foolishly thought I'd just pick it up right quick and move it to another rack (not smart). Anyway onkyo did a very good job with this one and extremely clean on the inside as well. If this doesn't fit in with this thread I apologize and i'll take it down. Great looking receivers on here and lots of good listening, happy listening all :thumbsup:

Audiofreak71

Anything with that much transformer and heatsink certainly deserves to be here,even if it was manufactured after the golden age.From their biggest to their smallest,Onkyo was always a high quality,class act.

Last edited:
Anything with that much transformer and heatsink certainly deserves to be here,even if it was manufactured after the golden age.From their biggest to their smallest,Onkyo was always a high quality,class act.
Well thank you for letting me grace these pages with mine along with these very fine pieces of art from the Golden era of receivers.

View attachment 929376 View attachment 929379 View attachment 929380 Not sure if newer receivers are allowed in this thread, but thought I would share one of the last great sounding Uber receivers that's built like a tank, at 73lbs 18in long 17in wide 9in tall and a true 150wpc, it's definitely a back muscle puller as it did just that to my back when I foolishly thought I'd just pick it up right quick and move it to another rack (not smart). Anyway onkyo did a very good job with this one and extremely clean on the inside as well. If this doesn't fit in with this thread I apologize and i'll take it down. Great looking receivers on here and lots of good listening, happy listening all :thumbsup:

Audiofreak71
My back hurt's lookin at it.What's the model #.

My stereo enclosure was formerly a rack mount, so now I am limited to 17 1/2. Had to take the wood panels off of my Sony 2000esd and it just fits. Was going to use a Kenwood 6030 but it would only fit after removing the wood end panels and the steel cover.Couldnt do that. Next up for a change a Sansui AU 999, TU999 will get a test fit soon

The biggest receiver I own is the Pioneer SX-1980.

I think there are a few that are larger and more powerful (that I haven't owned), such as Marantz 2600, Technics SA-1000, Sansui G-33000, Hitachi SR-2004, Rotel 1603 (referenced above), and maybe one or two more. These "monster receivers" can be fun, until you get old, and have difficulty lifting and carrying them safely. :eek:

FWIW, I also like my Kenwood KR-9050, and Marantz 2325 (not shown - it's installed in a different system).

100_2059_zpsnjlun0tb.jpg

Onemug - let's see a list of those receivers. :)

I also had to have the table shown above custom made - quarter sawn oak - all mortise and tenon construction. BTW, not more expensive than nice "store bought" furniture.

Back
Top Bottom