This is rather depressing...

That is exactly what I would have done, It's not like you can just go out and grab another 2385 anytime you want, at least not in that good of shape.

You-Have-Chosen-Wisely.jpg

After much thought from everyone's reply's in this thread, and conversing with the seller of my 2385, I've decided to keep the receiver. Hoping to ship it off to Bob later this summer, but will be packing it according to all the photos he sent me.

Great choice. Now contact Bob on how to pack these beasts!!!

the main problem is the corners and the weight. there is some sort of foam you pack the corners with. Remember, this box is going to be thrown and dropped deliberately, pack accordingly. Contact Bob - he's a MASTER of packing!!!

And don't try saving money on packing, It's part of the cost of restoration.

Great choice. Now contact Bob on how to pack these beasts!!!

the main problem is the corners and the weight. there is some sort of foam you pack the corners with. Remember, this box is going to be thrown and dropped deliberately, pack accordingly. Contact Bob - he's a MASTER of packing!!!

And don't try saving money on packing, It's part of the cost of restoration.

Bob already sent me all the packing photos that I really appreciate.

I've got to wonder if FedEx has different grades of service. Last year I purchased an amp that was shipped from a shop in Seattle to New Jersey and the box looked like it was carried by hand!!!

Each corner was square and not a trace of abrasion anywhere.

I know Randy had a 2600 shipped to him in a pelican case, I think that is the only way I would ever consider shipping my baby.

pelican-tough-travel-hardcase-lifetime-case.jpg

I was thinking maybe a small safe. Wrap the receiver in a plasric bag, put in the safe, then fill with spray foam. Kidding of course. I like the pelican case isea.

I was thinking maybe a small safe. Wrap the receiver in a plasric bag, put in the safe, then fill with spray foam. Kidding of course. I like the pelican case isea.
But with weight it's still the internal wrapping of the edges that's important. The momentum on those edges when the Samsonite gorilla throws it around is intense.

Update: Got an email from Fed X today. They said "
We have completed our review of the claim you filed and we will send you a letter with our decision
in the next five to seven days."

I'll update as soon as I hear from them again.

I use Star cases to ship big heavy amps. They are designed for hard road use. Right now I have my RTR packed away in it because I have no tapes LOL. At least I know it's safe until I can enjoy it again. Glad your keeping it!!

Well, yesterday I got a "confidential" letter from Fed X. In a nut shell they are not going to take responsibility for any damage claiming that the receiver was not packaged correctly. Oh well.

I actually repaired the case damage. I ended up stripping it to bare metal with aircraft paint stripper. Then straightened the damaged area using small wooden dowels and a hammer. I then primed the case, applied a textured spray from Duplicolor, then top coated with SEMS Landau black. The repair is totally unnoticeable.

Attachments

• P5232150.JPG
    P5232150.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 29
  • P5232160.JPG
    P5232160.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 29
I'd really like to have a wood case made now for my 2385. I have a local custom cabinet maker that has made cases for my other gear. The pics are what he did for my Pioneer amp and tuner. The cases were made from solid Sapele mahogany. What's different with the 2385 is that it requires so much ventilation area that there won't be all that much wood showing. I need to come up with a neat design.

Attachments

• P8061843.JPG
    P8061843.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 29
  • P8231860.JPG
    P8231860.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 28
Wow that looks awesome. It's one of the units on my short list for sure . Looks like it could survive some pretty severe handling packed as such.

It's that transformer, it's just too heavy for the unit to be able to take a drop. I've had this happen before, to a tube amplifier.. ended up totally taking it apart, cleaning everything, straightening the metal frame with autobody tools, a vice, clamps, even a bit of hammering.. got it all back together and it's great. Sure made my heart sink when I first saw it though!

I just sent this 2385 back to it's owner in North Dakota yesterday:
bxxSkz4.jpg

In this Pelican case:

SWN51T9.jpg

DXTiw77.jpg

I know it will arrive safe and sound.

Bob

When I send mine to you Bob, I'm going to put it in a pelican case, inside another pelican case.......then have a pelican deliver it instead of Fed X. Seriously though that looks like a full proof way to avoid damage. But, wouldn't it suffer the same amount of shock if dropped?

A pelican case is nice but not critical.

90% of my shipments back are double boxed with foam board linings between unit and inner box and between inner and outer boxes with additional innovative and proactive protective measures taken.
I insure for full restored value and have full confidence that it will arrive safely .

It's just two different methods of shipping with the pelican case being simpler to pack.

Bob

A pelican case is nice but not critical.

90% of my shipments back are double boxed with foam board linings between unit and inner box and between inner and outer boxes with additional innovative and proactive protective measures taken.
I insure for full restored value and have full confidence that it will arrive safely .

It's just two different methods of shipping with the pelican case being simpler to pack.

Bob
I've received dozens of shipments from Bob. That guy knows how to pack!

I actually repaired the case damage. I ended up stripping it to bare metal with aircraft paint stripper. Then straightened the damaged area using small wooden dowels and a hammer. I then primed the case, applied a textured spray from Duplicolor, then top coated with SEMS Landau black. The repair is totally unnoticeable.

That corner of the case looks great...better than new!

My 2 cents on packing: I use the foam pieces that are used in computer server packaging, and as others have said, make sure nothing moves. Also, if it's a valuable piece, I would personally drop it off at one of the FedEx hubs (Global Ship Center?) and ask the buyer to go pick it up at a hub near them. That limits the amount of handling.

Back
Top Bottom