Can my phono pre drive a Dynavector DV XX2 MKII?

Athalwolf

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a Nova II with a max of 60dB of gain. The cartridge output is 0.28 mV. There is no recommendation for the gain setting in the owners manual.

Thanks

Last edited:
should work fine. I used a Ortofon Vivo Blue on my PS 5.0 with 60db gain and it worked fine. I did notice that when i changed the loading from 30 ohm to 10 the volume increased so if you feel 60db isn't enough gain play with the loading.

If I'm correct the output on your Vivo is .5 mV which is almost double the Dynavector. My lowest load setting is 30 Ohm so I do not have that option.

I run a Dynavector 17D2mr with an output of 0.23Mv on my Phonomena II with good results. I am using a ARC LS16mkII preamp. I have also run a Ortofon MC20 super 0.20Mv as well, both at 80-100 ohm loads. Dead quiet in both instances when not in the groove at both 58 and 60 db gain.
Regards,
Jim

I've run the DV XX2 Mk2 through the Pure Audio Vinyl which has 62dB gain. I need to turn the volume up about 20° above when listening to CD to match CD volume.

Don't imagine that extra 2dB will make a lot of difference to you achieving a satisfactory volume level.

I run a Dynavector 17D2mr with an output of 0.23Mv on my Phonomena II with good results. I am using a ARC LS16mkII preamp. I have also run a Ortofon MC20 super 0.20Mv as well, both at 80-100 ohm loads. Dead quiet in both instances when not in the groove at both 58 and 60 db gain.
Regards,
Jim

Thanks for the info Jim.

I've run the DV XX2 Mk2 through the Pure Audio Vinyl which has 62dB gain. I need to turn the volume up about 20° above when listening to CD to match CD volume.

Don't imagine that extra 2dB will make a lot of difference to you achieving a satisfactory volume level.

Were you impressed with the cartridge?

I did notice that when i changed the loading from 30 ohm to 10 the volume increased so if you feel 60db isn't enough gain play with the loading.
Lower load impedances will reduce the volume, not increase it. If the volume increased when changing from a 30 ohm load to a 10 ohm load some else must have changed at the same time.
However, generally the load impedance seen by a low output MC cartridge doesn't have much effect on volume, or at least not until the load impedance starts to approach the same value as the cartridge's source impedance. With the load impedance 10 times the source impedance the volume drop is 0.8dB. With the load impedance 5 times the source impedance the volume drop is 1.6dB. With the load impedance 3 times greater than the source impedance the volume drop is 2.5dB.
BTW, 60dB gain should be ok with that cartridge.

Were you impressed with the cartridge?
Yes. Very nice cartridge. Used to have it on a Pioneer PL-71 and it impressed there as well (as an upgrade from a DL103r) before moving to Versalex which really let it shine.
Still keep it as a backup as it has been checked to be at about 1/2 life.

Ordered the DV XX2 MK II today. Next mission. The arm.

The store has a great deal on a Dynavector XV1S that's coming in soon. $4250.00 CAD

Back
Top Bottom