Gunsmith in the house?

Looks like a pin from 1911 hammer strut assembly.

Interesting.

Laying the pin across the back of the hammer, between the frame sides, it's a good fit lengthwise.

But, I did not take the pistol down that far and the hammer seems to cock, lock, and release normally. :idea:

If you google 1911 hammer strut pin, it appears that it's flat on one end and tapered on the other - similar to the one in you photo.

Interesting.

Laying the pin across the back of the hammer, between the frame sides, it's a good fit lengthwise.

But, I did not take the pistol down that far and the hammer seems to cock, lock, and release normally. :idea:

Does the grip safety work?

Yes, it does.

Maybe I'll try breaking down to that level just to fully bottom out if it could be a pin like that. It seems not likely, IMO, there would have been a spare part floating around somewhere for this long (have had the 1911 for quite a few years now - 15, 20 maybe) and it just now fell out.

But, I got nothing better for a lead at the moment.

Last edited:
Hope this helps you some.

I've never in the forty years of owning mine had to take it down this far in cleaning tho.

DSCN7523.JPG DSCN7522.JPG

I've taken mine down that far out of curiosity. Broke the sear spring trying to put it back together the first time.

Would be nice to have the dimensions for the hammer strut pin so I could compare without tearing down that far. Checked on line but didn't see anything about diameter or length.

Would be nice to have the dimensions for the hammer strut pin so I could compare without tearing down that far. Checked on line but didn't see anything about diameter or length.

Had you removed it?

This is how I took one down for a cleaning today.

Barney

DSCN7526.JPG

Then I'd say it is not from a GM!

Barney

Therein lies the problem. It doesn't seem to belong anywhere, yet there it was laying on a towel on which I had just cleaned some guns...and had shaken the towel very well before starting. :dunno:

I think it is from another, not the GM.

The pin will not come out without persuasion on this one!

Barney

His wife/girlfriend put it there.

I did similar to my boss as he finished up a new belt in a VCR for a coworker. Just as he put the top cover back on I reached over with a small spring hidden between my fingers and acted like I just picked it up off the bench and said "What's this for?". The look on his face was priceless but I let him off the hook right away.

Back
Top Bottom