Multi-disk CD Players?

Ross6860

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Anyone want to recommend some multi-disk CD players I can research? Can be new or used. but prefer used for bang-for-the-buck.

Looking for at least decent quality and reliability. Three disks is enough.

Just want it for my bedroom system so I can load it up and go to sleep.

Thanks in advance.

Since I like Yamaha I'll have to look at the CD-C600

Found a couple on CL local. A Technics NIB and a Nakamichi.

How is Nakamichi's reputation for CD players?

You might look at a multi-disc DVD player too. I have an old Sony 5 disc DVD player that is built like a tank. I see them and others on CL all the time for next to nothing.

I gave my Mom an Onkyo 6 disk player that sounded good and lasted a long time. Pretty cheap too. Can't go wrong. It had a random feature that was fun.

I have used CD carousels for more than twenty years. I like players that have a power button and the ability to kick out the tray on the remote. I dislike players that have the disc buttons located under the tray. It's difficult to access when the tray is open. A new player that I like is the Onkyo Integra CDC 3.4 . They are difficult to find however. Onkyo also makes a cheaper player that you can find on Amazon or Crutchfield.

Last edited:
The Sony in my signature has been used daily for almost three years and still works great. Peace and goodwill.

I have an old RS CD5000 6 disc cartridge player that has been used a lot since it was bought new. Its a rebranded Philips/Marantz. Its used at my bench now. It had constant daily use for the first 20 years of its life and keeps chugging along.

I like the Yammies too. My daily driver CDC-655 has been a workhorse and other than a new drawer belt, no problems with it.

I'm using a Sony NC555ES. It's a DVD changer and does SACD also. They are silver though which is great is you have silver faced gear! Sounds great and can be had for not much dough!

I have been using a Yamaha DVD-CX1 5 disc changer since 2003 or 2004 and it is still going strong. It was a flagship piece at the time and is a very solid performer. Plays DVD's, DVD-A, and CD's.

I have the NC 555 ES in my office system. It's CD dedicated. Nice to have the SACD option there. My master Bedroom system has the C 701 ES. The original ES changer I believe. both sound spectacular.
Yes Sony's.

Sony ES series if you can find one (I don't have an ES). I have several non ES 5 disc Sony's and they work well. Sound better than a TEAC 5 disc I had prior to these.

I was able to acquire a Sony CDP-735 5-Disc changer for the low price of Free! :) Co-worker made a bad decision that I took advantage of...

It is a great-sounding player, well designed in my opinion, and sounds excellent. It also has a Digital Audio output, which is nice. You can get them on eBay and such for less than $100. Here's a pic, from a random eBay listing:

$_1.JPG

If you are into it you can set various audio EQ profiles into memory, and add reverb/EQ with a dial to make it more/less. I ignore that stuff, though, and just use Digital out.

I used to think they were all trash.
Too many moving parts to be long term reliable.
When I first got back into audio, a friend gave me a Kenwood rack system thing.
The drawer belt was bad (or table belt, or ?)
I fixed it and went on a 8 year hate of multidisc players.
What a cheap junk pain in the butt!

Then I started getting the "good" multi disk players.
Higher end stuff.
The Sony ES stuff is sweet and the belt on one I opened was "Right There!" (and it was good!)
I have/had Marantz too. Real nice.

Good used players are available.
IF you can determine that the old one WAS higher end in the beginning, you got a chance at a decent deck.

As said, some of the higher end multidisc DVD are pretty nice too.

I still recommend avoiding the cheap light mostly plastic ones.
I throw a lot of those away.

Can't recommend multi-disk systems except for convenience. Some higher end Sony Mega-storage models have variable output which is a very useful feature.

Can't recommend multi-disk systems except for convenience. Some higher end Sony Mega-storage models have variable output which is a very useful feature.

The old Technics I use in my bedroom has a variable output (actually a six step attenuation if I remember). This is extremely useful since I run it through a vintage receiver with no remote.

I agree on Yamaha ; of course. I have a new CD-C600 which sounds great. But for really inexpensive I have to give a shout out to the JVC XL-F series players...they sound quite impressive and look pretty nice to boot! They have a sort of pewter finish to them.

Back
Top Bottom