best internet radio tuner to add?

bret53147

I'm interested in adding an internet radio tuner to my home stereo. I just cancelled xm and am tired of using an fm transmitter to run the computer or mp3 player through my stereo. I'm not up on the technology anymore, but want to get the right equipment. Please advise me.

Thanks,

Bret

Yes, these units do not have speakers which is what I like about them
The just plug in with RCA connectors

Have you considered Chromecast Audio? $35 retail. Cast whatever radio station you want from the free Tunein app on a smartphone or tablet.

I want to add it to my stereo like adding another component. I don't like cell phones, so that route is not available to me. If it was, I think I'd just get bluetooth adapters for everything. I bought a factory refurbished Grace Primo GDI-IRCA700 to try out. I think it's the newer version of the unit you guys recommended above. Please let me know what you think. I'll report on it when it gets here.

Thanks,

Bret

As others have stated, go with the Grace Reciva (Mondo.) There is no screwing around with smartphones or tablets. The Grace will sense your network and you will need to input your network password to get the Grace up and running. If you want to use Pandora, you will need to get an account for that. There are thousands of Internet stations to choose from.

As others have said, there are analog outputs to connect to your home audio system. You do need to choose between the speaker on the unit or the external jacks. These Grace units run around $150 on Amazon.

To update: The Grace is just what I wanted!

Glad to hear that it works for you. I have two Grace IRA-500. It's a simpler, smaller, and cheaper device, so that's probably why they discontinued it. One is hooked up to my Sony STR-6055 and the other to the Tivoli system in my office. I've been really satisfied with them.

OK so tear me a "New one" but how does it sound? Years ago I had a Roku job that was 'OK' but not great. When it died (Power supply) I swapped in a Macbook Pro aluminum (2008 era) and used iToons. My library is over 14K files, and about 2100 of them were Vinyl to Digital which took me almost 3 years, transcribing most Saturday and Sunday mornings for 3-6 hours. I think internet 'radio' has some super wonderful 'stations' so under 200 bucks is a GREAT PRICE, so..........how does it sound.

That all depends on how you hookup the Grace radio and also the quality output of the internet station you are listening to. You have the option of listening to the small speaker on the unit or running interconnects to your audio system. Internet radio quality is all over the map. The best stations run at 320kbps.

I have my system tricked out a little bit. I run from the output of the Grace to the analog inputs of my Sonica DAC. From there the Sonica is hooked up to my McIntosh C52 preamp. On the higher bit stations the sound is quite good, almost CD quality. It boils down to how involved you want get on improving the sound quality.

That all depends on how you hookup the Grace radio and also the quality output of the internet station you are listening to. You have the option of listening to the small speaker on the unit or running interconnects to your audio system. Internet radio quality is all over the map. The best stations run at 320kbps.

I have my system tricked out a little bit. I run from the output of the Grace to the analog inputs of my Sonica DAC. From there the Sonica is hooked up to my McIntosh C52 preamp. On the higher bit stations the sound is quite good, almost CD quality. It boils down to how involved you want get on improving the sound quality.

This is all very interesting to me because I have been racking my brains out trying to figure this all out too. I'm an old fart with digital audio.

Turns out that the Grace GDI-IRDT200 HiFi Internet Radio Tuner was exactly something like I was looking for but its no longer available.

Like the OP, I would also like a component style unit instead of using my old iPod Touch G4 with the TuneIn app through my PURE i20 DOC/DAC pugged into my McIntosh C50 preamp.

I read that the Yamaha WXC-50 has a high quality DAC. Does anyone know if the Yamaha WXC-50 will perform this function using my laptop as a source of internet radio wirelessly (wifi) to the Yamaha then plugged into the McIntosh C50 preamp. I don't quite understand how to find something to do this. The guy I called at Crutchfield said the Yamaha WXC-50 is only a one-way interface and it wouldn't work with my laptop for internet radio. He said just to use the vTuner built in.....but I would prefer to use my laptop and internet. Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm lost. Thank you.

Last edited:
This is all very interesting to me because I have been racking my brains out trying to figure this all out too. I'm an old fart with digital audio.

Turns out that the Grace GDI-IRDT200 HiFi Internet Radio Tuner was exactly something like I was looking for but its no longer available.

Like the OP, I would also like a component style unit instead of using my old iPod Touch G4 with the TuneIn app through my PURE i20 DOC/DAC pugged into my McIntosh C50 preamp.

I read that the Yamaha WXC-50 has a high quality DAC. Does anyone know if the Yamaha WXC-50 will perform this function using my laptop as a source of internet radio wirelessly (wifi) to the Yamaha then plugged into the McIntosh C50 preamp. I don't quite understand how to find something to do this. The guy I called at Crutchfield said the Yamaha WXC-50 is only a one-way interface and it wouldn't work with my laptop for internet radio. He said just to use the vTuner built in.....but I would prefer to use my laptop and internet. Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm lost. Thank you.

I stream radio from my laptop to a chromecast audio that is plugged in to my stereo system.

Eric

Thanks Eric....I was looking at the chromecast since you mentioned it. Are there any other options?

Yes.

If youre on a Mac, Airport Express would do the same thing.

Of course you can also stream from your Phone/Iphone to a Chromecast Audio (CCA) or Airport Express (AE) which is really handy IMHO.

To be honest, the CCA's ability to stream content from a tab in the Chrome browser is a really easy way to do radio.

Eric

I am casting from my inexpensive android phone to my chrome cast audio with optical cable out to a Fiio Taishan dac to a Chinese SMSL amp to Bose Acoustimass speakers. You start the 1st song on Pandora and cast, and then you can turn your phone off and it keeps playing songs till you go back on your phone and shut down Pandora. It don't get much easier than that.

I am casting from my inexpensive android phone to my chrome cast audio with optical cable out to a Fiio Taishan dac to a Chinese SMSL amp to Bose Acoustimass speakers. You start the 1st song on Pandora and cast, and then you can turn your phone off and it keeps playing songs till you go back on your phone and shut down Pandora. It don't get much easier than that.

I would like to use the DAC in my McIntosh C50 preamp....I read that the CCA DAC is not the greatest sounding. What kind of outputs does the CCA have to bypass the built in DAC so I can use the DAC in my C50? Thanks

The CCA DAC is surprisingly good IMHO and certainly adequate for streaming Radio.

Try it both ways, It might surprise you.

Just remember to have the "Full Dynamic Range" enabled in the CCA setup.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom