Older Rega Planar 3 pulley upgrade?

Scortch

I recently purchased a metal pulley for my older model Planar 3 but noticed (before attempting to remove the plastic one!) that the metal one was decidedly larger in diameter. The pulley is from Analogue Seduction and listed as a Rega part, designed for the P3, but I am guessing that there is a difference in the pulleys of today and the ones of yore? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Any advice on how to proceed (or not)?

Recently replaced the pulley on my mid 80's planar 3 with a brass. 33/45 from Tangospinner. the original came off without too much struggle, just used my fingers. it took a bit of trial and error to get the new one on at the correct height, but it's not really difficult.
I would say give it a shot, as it should be a reversible process if it is the wrong one. If you want more assurance before you proceed with the swap maybe post some pics so we can see what you're dealing with. There is also getting out a set of calipers and measuring the ta=wo so you know exactly what you've got.

I see now that they (Tangospinner) have size variations. Of course I just ordered a subplatter from them... Oh well, the shipping wouldn't be THAT bad if they have what would work. My calipers are with the gf, so I need to snag them this weekend.

Here's a couple of pics for comparison:

2017-05-16 18.32.45.jpg 2017-05-16 18.33.06.jpg

Yeah, sorry dude that pulley won't work.
You need a pulley for a 60hz standard.

Yup- as I research more, I am seeing that exact fact. At least it wasn't expensive. Never made that consideration, but hey, I learned something new, so it's ain't THAT bad a day!

Thanks, chaz, for heading me toward the yea/nay on changing. Now, just to decide where I get the proper pulley from!

No worries.
Good on you for asking before you went ahead and took the old one off.

Tangospinner have 50Hz & 60Hz versions, as does Michael Lim. I have Lims version and the main difference between that and the Tangospinner is Lims models have a small grub screw to tighten it onto the spindle. Lim also sells dual and even triple pulleys but you'd need a 3rd party control box like the Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 to change speed if you bought one of them.

http://lpturntables.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/metal-pulley-upgrade-for-rega-planar-2.html

http://lpturntables.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/double-or-dual-metal-pulley-upgrade-for.html

http://lpturntables.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/4545-rpm-dual-pulley-for-music-hall.html

James H

I haven't had a Rega in 20 years and I'm just asking out of curiosity, so please don't take offense...

Does changing the pulley make any audible difference? If so, please describe...

Changing the pulley is typically done in an attempt to try and correct speed inaccuracies ( or with some folks 'just 'cus'). My mid 80's deck kept really good speed for most of it's life, but a little over a year or so ago it started to have issues. After doing some reading online there seemed to be a fair number of reports of folks who had speed issues solving the problem by swapping the pulley for a metal one. I figured that the swap was rather inexpensive, easy to do myself and reversible - so it was worth giving it a shot.
The result was that the speed issues, that had recently set in, disappeared and my deck went back to steady and stable.
So, Yes the difference was audible in my case, though not strictly in a SQ sort of way.

Thanks for the clear objective hype-free reply, Chaz. No motor problem with your mid-80's deck?

Motor problem? If you mean, is the speed from the motor steady, then as far as I have been able to discern - there are no speed issues with the motor itself.
Except for the pulley, bearing, belt and the addition of a thrust plate the table is stock.
I have been toying with the idea of isolating the motor assembly from the plinth, but no concrete steps have been taken in that direction.

About 2 years ago. I swapped the stock plastic pulley on my (around 1990) planer 3 for one of Gus' tangospinner brass pulleys. That and a new sub platter easily brought about the biggest improvements. Speed, timing, and bass were all tighter and improved.

Not sure if just a pulley would make as much difference. But the combo was great.

I've replaced the counter weight and platter (Groove tracer), belt (rega White and tangospinner silicone) and wiring (Incognito). The above made the most noticeable and best improvements.

Originally went with a Tangospinner subplatter. Currently have an Isotek and I think it is a little better.

Back
Top Bottom