General consensus on best sounding Fisher models (POLL)

Best sounding Fisher stereo amp / receiver

• X-1000

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • X-202-B

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • X-202

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • X-100

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • X-101B

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • KX-200

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • 800-C / 500-C / 1800

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • TA-600

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 800-B / 500-B

Votes: 11 13.9%

Votes: 8 10.1%

• Total voters
Okay, I suggest all us Fisher lovers plan a gathering where we can enjoy all things Fisher. If anyone wanted to get away from the northern winter for a spell, and visit Florida, I would consider hosting the event if something were to happen. I absolutely think it would be a great time, maybe if we have enough interest, it can become a reality. Hard to imagine what kind of fun we could have. :rockon:

Okay, I suggest all us Fisher lovers plan a gathering where we can enjoy all things Fisher. If anyone wanted to get away from the northern winter for a spell, and visit Florida, I would consider hosting the event if something were to happen. I absolutely think it would be a great time, maybe if we have enough interest, it can become a reality. Hard to imagine what kind of fun we could have. :rockon:
I think the neighbors would be called for sure. I'm down! Plus, if you're hosting, I can visit Steve's Fisher tube museum.

I can't vote as I only own an X-100-2 and two Fisher tuners. If someone is willing to give me (free) an example of each one, I could help you...:p

You've already got your fair share of cool stuff Pat,leave some for the rest of us!:)

Based solely on sound/listening quality (forget about power/loudness) and regardless of preamp or source used,I have to vote the SA-100. That little guy just makes me smile for hours on end:thumbsup:

So put me down for whatever on the list is closest,haha!

Based solely on sound/listening quality (forget about power/loudness) and regardless of preamp or source used,I have to vote the SA-100. That little guy just makes me smile for hours on end:thumbsup:

So put me down for whatever on the list is closest,haha!
The SA-100 amp section is used in the X-202, so I say your okay to vote that direction.

Why no SA300 or SA100 on the list?

Edit: oops, just saw the entry two posts ago..

Why no SA300 or SA100 on the list?

Edit: oops, just saw the entry two posts ago..
Because I limited it to integrated amps and receivers, mostly because the poll will not allow any more selections. But the X202 does have the SA-100 amp section if someone likes that one.

Bumping this up in the forum to see if anyone adds any votes or changes original. I still say the X-202 is my favorite, amazing sound and power from an EL84 amp!

Bumping this up in the forum to see if anyone adds any votes or changes original. I still say the X-202 is my favorite, amazing sound and power from an EL84 amp!
I only have one Fisher to assess, a 500B (7591). However I also have an EL84 Dynaco ST-35. Both power tubes have their strengths. I’m sure an X-202 takes that tube to the next level. With that said I’m happy to have this dilemma facing me every day!

Last edited:
Most will call me crazy, but I'm going off the board here with the late-50s TA-500 mono receiver. No, I am not an audiophile, but I have had the pleasure of owning all of the 400/500/800 iterations as well as Fisher mono blocks and early 1960s receivers. My TA-500 is an early production/prototype model, and of my remaining anachronistic impractical heavy stuff that's very expensive to repair and now requires shipping half-way across the country to do so, it's the last that I will get rid of. For anyone who has never previewed a TA-500 I highly recommend checking it out: it has the thick tube tone which is the barometer by which all others are measured. Mine still has the original EL37 output tubes, though I have two sets of backups that I had the foresight to procure 25 years ago (which is likely 2 sets more than I will need in this lifetime).

You really can’t expect so many people to be involved in Fisher tube equipment, the most involvement from most people is pulling something out of a box and plugging it in. Just like a car, most people want something they can readily use without much involvement and that’s why most people are accustomed to the inferior sound of newer equipment. Most can’t research the best recordings or recording studios and go with what is convenient. It’s good to see a few people delving deeply into the hobby and restore tube equipment...but that’s beyond the norm of corporate consumerism. I remember when solid state equipment started becoming the next rave, someone gave me a 500C and I used and repaired it because I had an uncle that believed that young people are to learn things without choice.....

I've heard, and repaired, most if not all of these, but it was, with only a few exceptions, over 40 years ago ... so no vote from me.

Most will call me crazy, but I'm going off the board here with the late-50s TA-500 mono receiver. No, I am not an audiophile, but I have had the pleasure of owning all of the 400/500/800 iterations as well as Fisher mono blocks and early 1960s receivers. My TA-500 is an early production/prototype model, and of my remaining anachronistic impractical heavy stuff that's very expensive to repair and now requires shipping half-way across the country to do so, it's the last that I will get rid of. For anyone who has never previewed a TA-500 I highly recommend checking it out: it has the thick tube tone which is the barometer by which all others are measured. Mine still has the original EL37 output tubes, though I have two sets of backups that I had the foresight to procure 25 years ago (which is likely 2 sets more than I will need in this lifetime).

Yes the 500 mono receiver is one of the best Fisher's I've heard as well. I have Mullard EL37's in mine too. Most are found with 6L6GC's in them. The only problem I have with the 500's is having 2 volume controls to turn up or down.

Back
Top Bottom