"Any New Age Music Listeners Out There?"

I don't really have a top five, but I do have a favorite. Andreas Vollenwieder

:thmbsp:

There used to be a radio station in San Diego back in the 80's that was called "The Wave" (if memory serves). Stumbled across the station and they were playing his music. Was immediately stunned by the remarkable sound. The first CD I ever purchased was White Winds.

Last edited:
I lived in the LA area thru most of the 80s and we had "The Wave" there also. I believe it was 94.7 on the FM dial. They would have their little voice "jingle" that went " 94.7.......The Wave ". That's where I first heard what was called New Age and it's all history from there on.................

:thmbsp:

There used to be a radio station in San Diego back in the 80's that was called "The Wave" (if memory serves). Stumbled a crossed the station and they were playing his music. Was immediately stunned by the remarkable sound. The first CD I ever purchased was White Winds.

Addendum to above post:

I found that I still have the CD that 94.7-The Wave produced called "Wave Aid". It contains several artists including Richard Burmer, Suzanne Vega, Mannheim Steamroller, David Benoit and Yanni to mention a few. I believe there was a second CD produced a few years later but by then we had moved north and I never did get that one.................

Having a cup of coffee this morning and listening to Liz Story Solid Colors while writing this post. Love the piano compositions that come out of the New Age genre. World music can often blend into the New Age landscape, and Shadowfax does seem to be influenced that way.

When talking Windham Hill it does seem necessary to mention William Ackerman. I like his guitar compositions also. Got a few other duets that are intereting. Ira Stein and Russel Walder, Darol Anger and Barbara Higbie....really like their album tideline, Mike Marshall and Darol Anger is another duet that is pretty nice.

R-2227488-1290969548.jpeg

I have a couple of discs that are probably considered some for of Electronica, but are still New Age influenced. One is a self titled disc called Oracle, lots of chant and nature type sounds over a bass line. The other are the works from Enigma, which are a bit more techno based compositions, but have a similar flavor. I like this type of music as well.

$(KGrHqEOKkUE21(6J!U+BN2pr8Cipw~~0_12.JPG

Seems like there are more fans of the genre than what I would have thought. Lots of people talk bad about it, but in my opinion there is a lot of interesting music to be heard.

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:
This a a very dangerous thread. Now I will have to start tracking down more of the recordings mentioned!

I find that much of the music in this general mode really makes me open my ears and listen with great attention. Often there are really new sounds to be heard. Definitely a genre which requires a decent system to be enjoyed fully IMO.

Can't believe 6 pages and no mention of my favorite: David Lanz. I have a couple of solo albums plus some of his collaborations. His solo work is more orchestral but collaborations tend to be more New Age.

I also like the usual big names: Kitaro, Enya, Yanni, David Arkenstone, Ottmar Liebert, Tangerine Dream, yada yada yada.

Various Artists - Relax (A Windham Hill Collection)

upload_2017-5-17_14-46-3.png
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: Audioquest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9250B

You betcha! I listen to genres in patches over time...have been in a strong jazz phase for past two years, but have recently added a lot of early Tangerine Dream vinyl to my rotation/collection. I have a LOT of Windham Hill artists on CD and vinyl. Favorites include Liz Story, Phillip Aaberg, Wm Ackerman, Michael Hedges and George Winston. Got to meet George at a small concert a few years ago, what a positive human being he is. Right now, I'm deepening my appreciation of Electronica. I find all of these genres related, I find things across all of them that color and inform my appreciation as a whole.

Last edited:
I's a genre uses so many elements of music that are smooth and still...tribal, and has it's place with me because of the way it explores sound and what it does for a good speak to show off strengths (in you face like).

In the late 1980's a local FM station began playing New Age and Smooth Jazz, which seemed so complementary it's hard to draw clear lines between the two. But they both lie firmly in the relaxing, non-engaging end of the musical spectrum. Perfect hotel lobby music.

Shadowfax is one artist I remember from back then, and Scott Cossu and Lee Ritenour.

Interestingly, working in the tourist industry in 1990, I spent a lot of time in hotel lobbies and heard a LOT of Lee Ritenour being played there.

You betcha! I listen to genres in patches over time...have been in a strong jazz phase for past two years, but have recently added a lot of early Tangerine Dream vinyl to my rotation/collection. I have a LOT of Windham Hill artists on CD and vinyl. Favorites include Liz Story, Phillip Aaberg, Philip Ackerman, Michael Hedges and George Winston. Got to meet George at a small concert a few years ago, what a positive human being he is. Right now, I'm deepening my appreciation of Electronica. I find all of these genres related, I find things across all of them that color and inform my appreciation as a whole.

Back in the early 80s, when I was in high school, I had an English teacher, every Thursday, pulled the curtains close, turned down the lights and played New Age music. He encouraged us to put our heads down on our desks, close our eyes, and free our minds. After about 30 minutes, he would stop the music, open the curtains, and have us write a paragraph or so on whatever is on our minds. I remember the two guys sitting in the next row over, always in their black Dio T-shirts, had quite a reaction when this was started. I think the music did win them over by the end of the quarter though.

Some of the best New Age music were released on Windham Hill (George Winston, Liz Story, Michael Hedges, etc.) and Private Music (Yanni, Patrick O'Hearn, etc.), before these labels were swallowed up by the big music companies.

Some pop/rock artists also create music in this genre. Dan Hartman, of "I Can Dream About You" and "Instant Replay" fame, released a New Age album on Private Music called "New Green Clear Blue" and it was excellent.

There's also an artist who used the name "The Fireman" for his output in this genre; otherwise he goes by the name of Paul McCartney. He used to have a band called the Beatles (some of you may have heard of them).

Been a new age music listener since the '70's. I listen to a 4 hour radio show every week and record it on a VHS Hi-Fi VCR.(poor mans reel-to-reel) Have a nice selection of Tangerine Dream, Steve Roach , Robert Rich and Hearts of Space playlist on Amazon. Lots of good new age, ambient and other "slow music for fast times" on Amazon especially with a unlimited membership ($4 a month if you have a Echo)

Don't buy a ton of this genre of music as it is so available for gratis from many sources. Big fan, even though they like you are a little strange around here for listening to this style of music.

"New age" music is such an over used term and it under-describes the music completely. As an example, is Andreas Vollenweider or Kitaro considered new age music? Them where does Freidmann fit in. Maybe even Thomas Dolby could be described as being a new age artist. How about "The Human League".........

Last edited:
^^^ It's true that this is a broad, wide reaching genre. The radio show "Night Tides" that I listen to weekly, has all types of "slow music for fast times". Then all of a sudden there is a nice Electronica piece that comes on. Just a FYI is that 90% of the music is without vocals.(my preference).

Last edited:
Don't forget about "Hearts of Space" broadcasts with Stephen Hill. I think they have been broadcasting since the early seventies.

Along with many compilations available on CD of the content. I have Universe 3, Universe 4 and the Absolute Sound collection (Harry Pearson was a fan).

I listen to a great deal of that genre. It was back in '82 or so at a record shop that I first heard George Winston and Michael Hedges...

Reading through this thread I was beginning to wonder if anybody would bring up the Hearts Of Space label and its catalog of marvelous recordings. I learned about them by way of The Absolute Sound's review of Robert Rich's Gaudì. My first listen to Gaudì led me to seek out not only more of Robert Rich's fine work but also those of other artists recording for Hearts Of Space.

Besides Gaudì, Rain by Kevin Braheny & Tim Clark is probably my favorite Hearts Of Space title.

I need time to go through my CD's from the HOS catalog and draw up a more complete list of my favorites, but that will take more time than I have now so I'll revisit this thread again later.

Back
Top Bottom