Pioneer CS-A700, Level Controls, and Age

welcomdmat

I have posed this inquiry previously, but not in the Pioneer Audio section.

I have a really great set of Pioneer CS-A700s. I am running them with a single amp and enjoying it.

The problem I have is that the controls on the face (under the grill) don't work. They do change things, but they make the sound dull and getting clarity back is like tuning in a weak radio station.

It's my guess that they could use some DeoxIT/ contact cleaner, but I am not sure how to go about it. The insulation inside the cabinets is working well, and I am hesitant to disturb it.

Is my path to these controls through the back?

Also, the insulation looks dangerous and smells like cigarettes.

I have a really great set of Pioneer CS-A700s. I am running them with a single amp and enjoying it.

The problem I have is that the controls on the face (under the grill) don't work. They do change things, but they make the sound dull and getting clarity back is like tuning in a weak radio station.

It's my guess that they could use some DeoxIT/ contact cleaner, but I am not sure how to go about it. The insulation inside the cabinets is working well, and I am hesitant to disturb it.

I am posting a reply to your question because I am in the SAME EXACT situation. I have a pair of CS-A700 and they, too, sound great... but when I turn either one of the dials on the front of each speaker it has no pleasant or noticeable effect other than it seems to "muddle" the sound regardless of the direction I turn the knob... I don't understand what the deal is but I would love to know how to fix this issue.. or maybe we are missing something and doing this wrong? Anyway... hope you (and I) get an answer to this question...

Sorry- one last thing.. your path to the controls is through the front... each circular dial housing has three screws... carefully remove each screw and the entire housing will come off... I examined mine a while back... interesting set up in there...

DeOxit will help with the pot. But if the crossover network hasn't been worked on (replace the 45+ year old caps) and the caps are worn out or bad, then no amount of DeOxit will help. I would unscrew each speaker driver and lift up enough to check underneath on the wiring near each driver for caps also. Replace them all with at minimum 200v bipolar caps. Parts Express has an in-expensive bipolar speaker cap that works quite well. DO NOT CHANGE the VALUE! If they don't have an exact value, you can parallel them to get the value needed.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom