How to mark speaker position on the carpet

Gaffers tape will leave residue on the carpet that is almost impossible to remove. A better choice would 3M blue painter's tape. It won't match the carpet, but it won't ruin it either.

I was thinking painters tape also. It will come off clean. But I think you're stuck with blue so cosmetically.......

Lay out a wire under the carpet. Get one of these locators.

Dynatel 1420 250 x 250.jpg

Or install 2 very strong magnets between the carpet and subfloor and two matching magnets on the bottom of each speaker. When the speaker snaps into position, you know everything's lined up!

Take three different colored strands of yarn and cut desired distance from the wall. If there are angles involved then the 3 strands go at the top of the back of the speakers. You put one on the right, middle, and left...could do two to get the angle but three gives a clear visual. Cut them where there is no slack left.

When pulling from the wall, hopefully you'll remembered to keep the lines parallel and true, but after that the strands are in their eye hooks or anchored in via your way.

The yarn is forgiving and will break before either anchored end is stressed enough to yank out.

Ball Park them. Probably good enough.
The hope is to get all my ducks in a row and quit messing around and swapping for a little while. This includes new speakers wire cut to length and precise placement -- so that all I have to do is plug my stuff in :)

PSA: I have tried painter's tape/masking tape. It does not stick on my rug. Totally cool if it works in other spaces, but I have tried it, and it lasted for all of 15 minutes before lifting.

I have already ordered gaff tape which matches the rug. That's what I'll be using.

The hope is to get all my ducks in a row and quit messing around and swapping for a little while. This includes new speakers wire cut to length and precise placement -- so that all I have to do is plug my stuff in :)

I think your making it way to complicated. I always use the KISS method whenever possible ( Keep It Simple Stupid)

Take three different colored strands of yarn and cut desired distance from the wall. If there are angles involved then the 3 strands go at the top of the back of the speakers. You put one on the right, middle, and left...could do two to get the angle but three gives a clear visual. Cut them where there is no slack left.

When pulling from the wall, hopefully you'll remembered to keep the lines parallel and true, but after that the strands are in their eye hooks or anchored in via your way.

The yarn is forgiving and will break before either anchored end is stressed enough to yank out.

And if you've got cats... they will love it too.

I use cardboard templates that fit between the back of the speaker and the wall. A small pencil mark on the molding will be all you'll see. This way I can also run string between the templates to get the spacing and the tilt correct.

Back
Top Bottom