Shure M7D?

To resuscitate an old thread, I found a NOS M7D at a thrift last year with box and papers. I decided to try it on a Pioneer Pl-L1000A I just got going. Set at 3g (recommended 5g) it sounds very good, very good dynamics and tracking. Where would be a good place to get the lower tracking stylus, which would be the M7-N21D? I'm assuming this one has the higher tracking stylus.

Shure M7/N21D – High Compliance-Extended Response Stereo Dynetic Cartridge

Channel separation: over 20 dB
Frequency Response 20 to 20,000 cps
Output Voltage per channel at 1000 cps: 4 mv
Recommended Load Impediance: 47k ohms
Compliance: 9.0x10-6 cent. per dyne
Tracking Force: 2 grams
Inductance: 420 millihenrys
DC Resistance: 280 ohms
Stylus: N21D: .0007 inch radius

Price (1964) $17.95

I gotta get me one of those...

Can anyone offer some comparison/contrast between the M3D/M7D and the Denon DL-103, another classic low compliance cartridge from the same era?

The one I have is tracking at 3g and sounds great. I assuming it is the original that speced at 5g. But would like to get the one and run at 2g.

Jico sent me this.

The specifications of our 'N-21' [e007376] are as follows,
Tip : conical 0.6 mil,
bonded diamond tip
Tracking force : 1.5-2.5g
Output Voltage : 4.5mV
Channel Balance : within 1.5dB at 1kHz
Compliance at100Hz: 7×10-6cm/dyne(lateral)
7×10-6cm/dyne(vertical)
Frequency range : 20 - 20,000 Hz

I've got one of those M3D's in the carts-that-need-stylii box, tested working...

Worth getting a stylus for?

Yes, David. Worth getting a stylus for. Tip, if possible hunt for a N21d stylus, tracks lighter than the 4 grams nominal on a N3D. Jico makes good styli for these.

I gotta get me one of those...

Can anyone offer some comparison/contrast between the M3D/M7D and the Denon DL-103, another classic low compliance cartridge from the same era?

I'd like to read a comparo, too.
I just got a DL-103, which I put on a big ol' Rek O Kut arm on a Rondine DeLuxe. It sounds pretty good, but does pick up all the nasties on the record.
I've been keeping an eye out for either M3D or M7D. Last week, the big site only had a collector calibre M3D from England pushing $400...neat early version with a paper or foil label, but just more than I'd be comfortable with, especially not knowing how it would compare with the DL-103. But just now, there was a M3D with stylus for a more gamble-worthy Buy it Now price, and I scarfed it up.
So it would be nice to hear what others think of the two.

My first TT was a Bogen with an M7 cartridge. It sounded fine to me. When I replaced that cartridge with an ADC "brick", I heard things on my vinyl that I had never heard before. Based on that, IMO, there are better options in cartridges.

My first TT was a Bogen with an M7 cartridge. It sounded fine to me. When I replaced that cartridge with an ADC "brick", I heard things on my vinyl that I had never heard before. Based on that, IMO, there are better options in cartridges.

I think my heavy tonearm really wants some pretty hefty VTF and stiff compliance, which would rule out the ADC (...so far as I know). Almost looks like the ADC and M7 are polar opposites?

The one I'm using is fairly quite as far as surface noise. And it's the original tip. I'm tracking at 3g.

Last edited:
Hmm, that's not been my experience at all.

I wouldn't imagine your Jelco 750D/TD-124/DL-103 would sound too much like my steam powered ROK, using whale oil bearing lubrication, with block and tackle rigging to maneuver a cast iron tonearm laden with soggy sandbag headshell weights. :)
I'm probably tracking quite a bit higher than you (currently 3.0)
And please don't misunderstand, I'm not complaining about the pops and tics. If they're on the record, and the DL-103 reports them, well, that's a good thing (in a way). I'm just wondering if the M3D-M7D won't be a more proper match for my heavy tracking requirement. And it looks as though the highly recommended N21D stylus would be too light for me, and I'd need to stick to the original stylus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom