Official Grateful Dead Thread

Ah, you too! They talked me into grabbing that one as well - should arrive this afternoon!
Sounded real intriguing - with luck I'll get some listening time tomorrow, due to the rainy weekend.
My brother sent the LP box set as a B'day present. :) The SQ is so good! Played sides 1-3 last night. BTW, the label for side 3 looks like it says side 5...at least to my 57th anniversary eyes. Great story about finding the off-the-board master tapes in a Betty Cantor unpaid storage unit.
Love this record!!

May 05 / 06, 1990
*Dominguez Hell
Cal Sate Dominguez Hillls
Carson Ca

B&K 4011 cardioid pair -> Neumann p48v power supply -> Sony TCD-D10 DAT
From FOB-DFC
FM broadcast also recorded from inside show (05-05-90 KPFK public radio)

*unbearably hot days

An article from the Miami Herald about the 40th anniversay of 5-8-77.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/celebrities/article149146354.html?ref=yfp

I just bought it.

It will be my last Grateful Dead purchase.

Indeed, what a long strange trip it's been.

I have "several" rows of Dead in my collection.

MI0004234198.jpg

This CD, (Cornell) has resurrected the DEAD for me. I even changed my avatar. :music:
I don't have it yet, but it's in the mail!

Ah, you too! They talked me into grabbing that one as well - should arrive this afternoon!
Sounded real intriguing - with luck I'll get some listening time tomorrow, due to the rainy weekend.
The package arrived late Friday - had a chance to do some listening .. Sonically, its amazing. Def a sound board, if a bit bass heavy.
Musically - it didn't quite do it for me - tho I'm only halfway through so far - Maybe I'm more of an early band fan.
Most of the live I'd heard was late 60s through '73 or so ... with some time in the 80s ... -
but I'm not as huge a deadhead as I was back in the day ...

That said, its a hell of a deal -
3CDs of soundboard quality music for $22!

Last edited:
I agree, it's bass heavy, one of the few recordings that I have to adjust bass down & treble up.
I was at the farmhouse this week, all alone with the big system and a big martini, and it was great.

My favorite albums were always the studio versions. American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, Wake of the Flood, Blues for Allah, Shakedown Street. The first time I heard one of their live albums (don't recall which) was at a buddy's house, and I didn't like it at all. Not long after, I met a Deadhead who'd been to a lot of their concerts and had dozens of cassette tapes he'd recorded, and they were horrible, I thought. I listened occasionally to a couple tracks from various live albums over the years, but they never really grabbed me. WOTF and BFA got a lot of play time back then.

However, I like quite a few live albums by other artists. So this morning I Spoti-searched and discovered a confusing wealth of the Dead live. Chose one, basically at random, and wasn't impressed. So I scanned through this thread, skipping pages, but saw the albums favored by various AKers and also browser-searched the topic. All this led me to Europe 72, 5-8-77 Cornell, OFTV and Live Dead and I've been listening to those.

OFTV and 5-8-77 Cornell seem to be my two favorites, with OFTV the favored thus far. Have a feeling I'll be listening to these two a good bit for a time. Thanks for all the posts, 'heads.

EDIT, 12 HRS LATER: Listening to OFTV again. Those who praised its SQ got that right. Next thing you know I'll be ordering wireless headphones so I can twirl.

Last edited:
Don't miss out on "Reckoning" (aka "For the Faithful…")
acoustic material recorded live in September and October 1980 ...
a bit bluegrassy, its some of my favorite tracks

My favorite albums were always the studio versions. American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, Wake of the Flood, Blues for Allah, Shakedown Street. The first time I heard one of their live albums (don't recall which) was at a buddy's house, and I didn't like it at all. Not long after, I met a Deadhead who'd been to a lot of their concerts and had dozens of cassette tapes he'd recorded, and they were horrible, I thought. I listened occasionally to a couple tracks from various live albums over the years, but they never really grabbed me. WOTF and BFA got a lot of play time back then.

However, I like quite a few live albums by other artists. So this morning I Spoti-searched and discovered a confusing wealth of the Dead live. Chose one, basically at random, and wasn't impressed. So I scanned through this thread, skipping pages, but saw the albums favored by various AKers and also browser-searched the topic. All this led me to Europe 72, 5-8-77 Cornell, OFTV and Live Dead and I've been listening to those.

OFTV and 5-8-77 Cornell seem to be my two favorites, with OFTV the favored thus far. Have a feeling I'll be listening to these two a good bit for a time. Thanks for all the posts, 'heads.

EDIT, 12 HRS LATER: Listening to OFTV again. Those who praised its SQ got that right. Next thing you know I'll be ordering wireless headphones so I can twirl.

It's maybe a bit more in a standard pop/rock vein than most of the Dead's work, but I've always had a huge soft spot for "In the Dark." American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are absolute masterpieces.

Jerry Garcia Band
1987-12-04 (night two)
Wiltern Theater
Los Angeles, Ca
Acoustic and Electric

Analog Ambient Recording by Moke
TFH -- A Journey to the Impact Zone
Sennheiser MKE2002 as AB omni stereo "Hat Trick"
Sony WM-D6C
Floor, center, just below balcony edge; rear of open floor seating.
Strictly No Recording Concerts

https://archive.org/details/gd1989-02-11.fob.french.35158.sbeok.flac24
https://archive.org/details/gd1989-02-11.fob.french.sirmick.76125.sbeok.flac16

Grateful Dead
1989-02-11 (day two)
Live at Great Western Forum on
1989-02-11

Set 1
Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo
New Minglewood Blues
Candyman
Big River
Built To Last
Queen Jane Approximately
We Can Run
Bird Song

Set 2
China Cat Sunflower ->
I Know You Rider ->
Man Smart (Woman Smarter)
Standing On The Moon
Estimated Prophet ->
I Will Take You Home ->
Drums* ->
Space ->
Eyes Of The World** ->
I Need A Miracle ->
Black Peter ->
Turn On Your Lovelight
Encore
Box Of Rain

* w/ Airto Moreira, Flora Purim, and Diana Moreira

Source:
Set one: Sennheiser MKE2002 HRTF headband -> Sony TC-D5M @ 6'5" by Mike French
Set two; ~ Schoeps cmc?? cards (caps on bodies, cardioids) ORTF @ 6'4" covered by the Mike Stand (MF) at eye level. ~ Oade pre (m118 ?) -> Sony PCM processor->beta, line out (Sean Weber Small rig) -> Sony TC-D5M master by Mike French
Lineage to digital: Sony TC-D5M master deck w/ master, no n.r. -> Tascam DVRA1000 DSD recorder in high-res pcm mode, 24/96 by Mike French

Last edited:
https://archive.org/details/gd1989-02-12.fob.french.sirmick.76126.sbeok.flac16
https://archive.org/details/gd1989-02-12.fob.french.31265.sbeok.flac24

Grateful Dead
Live at Great Western Forum
1989-02-12 (day three)

Set 1
Cold Rain And Snow
Hell In A Bucket
Row Jimmy
Beat It On Down The Line ->
The Promised Land
West L.A. Fadeaway
How Long Blues*
Gimme Some Lovin'*

Set 2
Iko Iko**
Monkey And The Engineer**
Alabama Getaway**
Dire Wolf**
Cassidy**
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again**
Drums ->
Space ->
The Other One*** ->
Stella Blue ->
Foolish Heart
Encore
Not Fade Away**
Knockin' On Heaven's Door**

*with Spencer Davis
**with Bob Dylan
***with Kodo drummer
final/last "How Long Blues": 08-19-70 [1236] -
final/last "Monkey & Engineer": 10-16-81 [495]
**** d2t08 note: Tracked as one single track, because the Other One was riffed on immediately out of drums.

Source
Sean Weber Small rig, Schoeps cmc?? (cardioid caps on mic bodies)ORTF -> Oade pre (m118?) -> Sony F1/Beta rig, line out -> Sony TC-D5M analog cassette master by Mike French.
From FOB/DFC. Mics at 6'5", at eye level to Fike rench, covering the mics. The other mics were Neumann km84's, ortf-> Neu. p48v -> Sony TC-D5M @ 6'4"
LineageSony TC-D5M master deck w/ master tape, no n.r. -> Tascam DVRA1000 DSD in PCM mode 24/96

Last edited:
Did you do both the Feb. and Dec. run of shows?
As recordists, "tapers", we had these Forum runs dialed in. We had recruited enough people to tightly pack a circle of probably 30' ->35' diameter; seriously, 75 people in this area, or more, all dedicated to being quiet, and blocking drunken, drug spun "spunions", from crashing through the area where we were recording. At the intermission, and drums/space migration points, we were like this giant boulder in the river, with blockers splitting the flow around us. We were on center, and probably 25->30' in front of the soundboard, right at the Impact Zone point. I'm always shocked just how quiet the immediate area around us was in these recordings.

I too was at the Feb run. 3rd night had really intense energy. These were my first wharf rat shows. It was three years before I felt comfortable going to shows again. Still going strong 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom