Classic Tube Audio - Camas, WA, Feedbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seamaster

I am new to deal with Pat from Classic Tube Audio - Camas, WA for a pair of restored MC30. Can anyone kindly provide some feedback to this shop? Can their restoration maintain/capture of magic of MC30? Thanks in advance.

https://classictubeaudio.com/

He redid my MC-275 and I have been very satisfied with his work. Besides that he's a very nice person to talk to. I highly recommend him and his work.

I bought a bunch of Fisher tube receivers from him and while in his shop saw countless McIntosh tube components there. I have only heard good things about him (and yes, he is a very nice guy).

Mike

I had him restore 2 MC-60's and he did a good job. Had an issue a couple of years later and he provided the expertise to address the problem (switch out some tubes).

Also restored a Fisher 800 for me 6 years ago. Still running strong today.

I asked the same thing recently and got mixed feedback. Someone referred to restorations going significantly above estimates and some contentious communication. But I have no personal experience with him.

Pat is no longer in Camas,Washington. He has moved to Wilsonville,Oregon. I have quite a bit of personal experience with him and his work, all of it good. I had Pat service and restore both my C22 and MR71 and he did a beautiful job on them. I have also bought other pieces of tube gear from him (Fischer SA-300-B and Pilot SA232) and have a couple of friends that have bought gear and/or had him service their gear and they are equally satisfied. Pat is a consummate professional and I have no reservations in recommending him for servicing your precious tube gear. :)

I absolutely recommend Pat. He's redone a 500c, Scott LK72b & LT110 tuner, and total rebuild/sale of some really stunning Mac MC60s. I've also bought a lovely MR67 from him. He's reasonably fast and has a wide knowledge of Mac and other tube brands. I'm lucky he's so close by!

Would those recommending him say his prices are reasonable and estimates accurate?
Yes indeed, his shop rate is below industry average and keep this in mind...estimates are just that. Pat does not upcharge on parts cost nor does he pad the labor charge like the automotive repair industry does.

Yes indeed, his shop rate is below industry average and keep this in mind...estimates are just that. Pat does not upcharge on parts cost nor does he pad the labor charge like the automotive repair industry does.
Ok good to know. As far as estimates go though an honest estimate would lead to the final price being lower as often as it is higher than the original estimate. Would you say that would be the case?

Are you suggesting that Pat would offer anything but an "honest estimate?" There have certainly been situations where the final job came in under estimate. In the vintage audio arena some problems are obvious to the experienced person while others don't reveal themselves until you're ankles deep into the job. If you have reservations about Pat's abilities or his integrity then either talk to him directly or look elsewhere, just don't rely solely on some other guy's internet rant and don't "re-tweet" it so-to-speak as to give it credibility that it may not deserve. I don't know any details of that situation nor do I know the other side of the "story" either. If I knew more about the negative feedback customer's story I will ask Pat about it.

Are you suggesting that Pat would offer anything but an "honest estimate?" There have certainly been situations where the final job came in under estimate. In the vintage audio arena some problems are obvious to the experienced person while others don't reveal themselves until you're ankles deep into the job. If you have reservations about Pat's abilities or his integrity then either talk to him directly or look elsewhere, just don't rely solely on some other guy's internet rant and don't "re-tweet" it so-to-speak as to give it credibility that it may not deserve. I don't know any details of that situation nor do I know the other side of the "story" either. If I knew more about the negative feedback customer's story I will ask Pat about it.
I'm not suggesting anything. I'm honestly sharing the fact that I have gotten mixed opinions on this forum. I've never met or done business with Pat and I've heard both positive and not-so-positive things and I'm trying to make an informed decision. And if you are referring to the rant that appears on multiple forums that's not what I'm referring to, I'm referring to things I've heard from two different AK members.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm honestly sharing the fact that I have gotten mixed opinions on this forum. I've never met or done business with Pat and I've heard both positive and not-so-positive things and I'm trying to make an informed decision. And if you are referring to the rant that appears on multiple forums that's not what I'm referring to, I'm referring to things I've heard from two different AK members.
But an honest estimate would imply that there is an equal chance of the final bill being lower or higher, not 'some situations' where it was lower.

And I actually have an interest in hearing honest feedback because he is one of the few techs around here.

But an honest estimate would imply that there is an equal chance of the final bill being lower or higher, not 'some situations' where it was lower.
I think that you misunderstand the concept of "honest." Nothing Pat does is dishonest in any way.

I think that you misunderstand the concept of "honest." Nothing Pat does is dishonest.
Perhaps 'accurate' would be a better word. And let me state again that I have never met or done business with him and have no reason to doubt his integrity. I have certainly heard more positive than negative things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom