Old Guy8

My Jazz buddy's: Cliff (RIP) & Cleo
Subscriber
IMG_20170518_113847.jpg
Fourth edit: Rubbing rotation noise was solved by polishing bottom thrust plate to remove .003" concave dimple from bearing ball. That raised spindle, likely bach to original position. Added oil to spindle bearing. I posted another thread showing process.

THIRD EDIT: Think oil lube not so good idea for spindle. Will run out. Grease it is.
Still unclear cause of noise/vibration. Spindle/bushing/thrust ball wear OR marks on taper of aluminum platter.

SECOND EDIT: Anyone know if oil was in the spindle bearing originally? Does it hold oil without leaking out?

EDIT: Changed title. Appears I MAY have a noisey spindle/motor bearing? Intermitent rubbing with platter rotation. Anyone with experience with these or a link of related thread.

Original post:
Thought I'd use an original Shure M95ed cart and stylus I had, on newly aquired Pioneer PL570 table. First time useing table.
Had local shop inspect stylus. They said it was ok. I used it back in late 70's.
Mounted cart on Technics headshell. Set overhang to 49mm mark I made on Technics gauge. Mounted, adjusted weight for 1.25 grams. Checked alignment on 2 point protractor. Raised tonearm to level. Adjusted cuing and rest heights. Adjusted antiskate useing a Shure test record. Table seems to function from what I see.
Playing a few records I get a constant pronounced shuuuuuush noise when stylus is on record. I've cleaned the tip. Could this just be noise of a WELL worn stylus? This is only extra cartridge I have available.

Last edited:
If you are getting balanced sound the cartridge body it is fine, they don't really wear out. It might useful to try a cheep EVG replacement stylus on there to see if it helps. Are you sure the platter is not scraping anything? I have never heard a whooshing stylus but I have heard that sound from the platter scraping the plinth. Lubricating the spindle and checking the bearing on the table would not be a bad idea either.

Now I took off the rubber mat. I can hear an intermittent noise as the motor/platter rotates. Hopefully just a dry bearing. Platter only wants to lift a 1/8" or so, then stops. It can't be easy, can it. The operating manual from Vinylengine says it uses oil-less bearings. Guess I'll have to find way to get to them. Anyone run across info on how to lube the Pioneers?
Changing thread title.

Last edited:
Found service manual at Vinylengine. Hope will show how to get to bearings for lube.

take the platter off. lifts off vertically.
Underneath is a cover plate, take this off via the screws around the edge.
I think there is then another cover to remove via screws but my memory is a little hazy.
finally you will see the spindle with a black metal "bell" type housing. Pull the spindle straight up and it will come out. look out for the ball at the end of the spindle.
now you can add some lube. Use a light grease as the bearing is not sealed and oil will run through over time.

IMG_20170519_145953.jpg
take the platter off. lifts off vertically.
Underneath is a cover plate, take this off via the screws around the edge.
I think there is then another cover to remove via screws but my memory is a little hazy.
finally you will see the spindle with a black metal "bell" type housing. Pull the spindle straight up and it will come out. look out for the ball at the end of the spindle.
now you can add some lube. Use a light grease as the bearing is not sealed and oil will run through over time.

Jack,
Have tried to lift the platter off, as first step. It stops after an 1/8" or so. Don't want to damage, if there is something I'm missing. Could there be bracket under platter, keeping it from coming off. I can't see anything through two platter lift holes.
The service manual I found on Vinylengine is for different PL570.

The platter fits on a taper on the spindle. Try putting your fingers in the holes and your thumbs on the spindle so you can push down on the spindle as you pull up on the platter

Took some force, but came off. Think I'm good from here. If not, I'll get back to you.
Would not have pushed that hard on it, without your knowledge. Think I'll take some pics as I go for posterity. May look for some moly grease..
Thank you,
Old Guy8IMG_20170519_154912.jpg

View attachment 933417

Jack,
Have tried to lift the platter off, as first step. It stops after an 1/8" or so. Don't want to damage, if there is something I'm missing. Could there be bracket under platter, keeping it from coming off. I can't see anything through two platter lift holes.
The service manual I found on Vinylengine is for different PL570.

Pioneer made 2 PL-570 models. The one you and I have from the 70s and a black plastic one from the mid 80s I presume.

IMG_20170519_162531.jpg IMG_20170519_160617.jpg IMG_20170519_160501.jpg
The taper for platter is shallow and self locking. Took fingers in two holes and thumbs on spindle. Used a plastic bottle cap I had handy on spindle to help force down.
Removed plastic cover by just removing three small screws. Not large screws as I started to do. Pull off spindle assembly.
Will buy some grease. Maybe not moly around windings. Grease ball at bottom and bronze bushings. Make sure you don't pull ball out by accident. Grease shaft OD and end contacting ball.
Will reassemble and see if noise goes away.

Ah yes! Funny but in my memory, the bell housing was black but now I see your pictures I remember it. Zinc yellow.
Light smear of grease on the ball and shaft.

Ah yes! Funny but in my memory, the bell housing was black but now I see your pictures I remember it. Zinc yellow.
Light smear of grease on the ball and shaft.

So making more noise than before. Maybe either the zink spindle housing is pushing up on plastic cover or platter is rubbing plastic cover.
Grease is keeping air from escaping, of course. May try running without plastic cover but platter on.

Last edited:
Without plastic cover I don't hear the scraping. Still some vibration or motor noise. And speed is much too fast.

View attachment 933551

If this is the case, then would adding the grease create some adverse issue ??

I really can't answer that. No turntable expert, muchless Pioneer turntables. I worked in manufacturing though. Pioneer made two model PL570's. That service manual page was for the later plastic case version.

I pushed down on the spindle housing til the air bled out, a few minutes. Then reassembled. The speed holds fine. With ear close to rotating platter, can still hear a little noise. Back to square one where I started. Stylus picks up that vibration. Grease has not solved issue.
Ideas anyone ?

The extract I posted above came directly from the S.M. for the Vintage PL-570, not he plastic cased one.
How loud is the noise ?
Can you hear it during music playback ?

The extract I posted above came directly from the S.M. for the Vintage PL-570, not he plastic cased one.
How loud is the noise ?
Can you hear it during music playback ?
Yes it is loud enough during leadin etc. I have a Shure test record with blank area for antiskate setting. Plenty loud there.
The spindle bearing is a steel shaft mating to bronze bearing. Ball at bottom riding in V of shaft end. Presses against plastic disk.
Wish I knew if it would hold oil or leak out. A Thoren TD165 that I have is similar bearing but holds oil, which when filled tames noises.

Last edited:
Have any PL570 owners found that thie bearing was oil bath lubricated, when they looked?

Back
Top Bottom