What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Just finished listening to Crest of a Knave by J Tull.

Barney
My name is listed on that LP! I (and a few hundred close friends) were selected to listen to the tracks, prerelease, and vote on the ones to go on the LP as opposed to all on the cd. It was still cool, and I got a promo copy of the album and a nice letter from Ian Anderson. That being said, Farm on the Freeway, Steel Monkey, and Budapest are favs. The whole damn album is great!

I'll have to compare my 2 copies some time. I have CD 16018 and a 2003 remaster (Epic EK 80207) by George Marino "from the original master tapes" The remaster has some distinctive packaging, cardboard with AC/DC Back In Black in raised lettering, black on black.
I'll be interested to see your results. @Bill Will you might have gotten lucky. As per me and @GSS61 the AC/DC CD remasters are junk. However, curious what Kevin reports. My AC/DC Back in Black junk remaster CD is: EPIC K 80207-S1 Bar-Code# 6 9699-80207-2 6 (see attached pic of the now said coaster). I also find it funny how well the file name of my pic ended up "EPIC Junk" :)
ACDC Back in Black Epic Junk K 80207-S1.jpg

Now Playing the one that sounds good! Another example, once again that on some early CD's, which I have many, that they "got it right" "first time out of the gate" - demonstrating the full potential of CD Audio :)
ACDC Back In Black Atlantic 16018-2 -CD0.jpg
-Blitz

Last edited:
7751.jpg

Disc 2

Never heard of her.....Must find her on the tube and give her a listen. She looks like a real beautiful Doll though! View attachment 933745 ;) Thanks for sharing musichal

I also like her "Worrisome Heart" album a lot. The title cut is superlative, a nice smooth and sultry voice - just the sound you hope to find in a piano bar. At least, that's what I think. [If anyone is wondering why I keep using that phrase... I got weary of imo and YMMV. Maybe I should make it TWIK, or ALTWIK. Refuse to consider TWIT.] Yes, she's very easy on the eye, too.

Last edited:
So I spent the past couple hours putting together one of the towers and I'm listening to it now... it sounds good so far! I had to de-solder and remove the old wiring from the speaker terminal cup, plus bypass the small crossover attached to it.
Then I soldered new wiring from the terminal cup to the new two-way crossover, and from the crossover to the new drivers. I also put a moderate amount of Poly-fil in the cabinet to help reduce any unwanted resonance it may produce.
The pictures below show the basic sequence of assembly - after the fourth picture I simply secured the new woofer and tweeter to the speaker baffle with some screws and it is finished... now on to the next one!

IMG_0653[1].jpg IMG_0654[1].jpg

IMG_0655[1].jpg IMG_0656[1].jpg

Last edited:
I'll be interested to see your results. @Bill Will you might have gotten lucky. As per me and @GSS61 the AC/DC CD remasters are junk. However, curious what Kevin reports. My AC/DC Back in Black junk remaster CD is: EPIC K 80207-S1 Bar-Code# 6 9699-80207-2 6 (see attached pic of the now said coaster). I also find it funny how well the file name of my pic ended up "EPIC Junk" :)
View attachment 933739

Now Playing the one that sounds good! Another example, once again that on some early CD's, which I have many, that they "got it right" "first time out of the gate" - demonstrating the full potential of CD Audio :)
View attachment 933740
-Blitz
I'm not certain that all the AC/DC remasters sound bad... I do know that as the years have gone by, the newer releases appear to have been remastered with less dynamics (more compression) which can be a problem, although I have heard some modern rock and pop recordings with a lot of compression that otherwise sound pretty good. Remasters (and thoughtful remixes) can certainly bring out nuance and detail in recordings that may not have been noticeable in older releases.

Fleet Foxes with the new song off their upcoming new album. This song was just released today:

I was lucky enough to hear them perform this live tonight on their first concert back from their hiatus.

(correction - third concert - evidently they played the Knitting Factory in Spokane and the Crystal Ballroom in Portland before they played in the city adjacent to their home town)

-D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom