What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

I decided to validate, once and for all that I'm not crazy and not just "imagining" this remastering phenomenon. So, I maintained my volume gain at the exact same level and played the title song, track#6 of both CD's, the remaster and the original, immediately "back to back" to compare them. The remaster is definitely way louder, by +6db. When defining "db", every "+3db" is 2x the power, meaning amplifier wattage output doubles (please reference this well written link, which is an easy to understand article explaining and outlining in detail the topic of db with relationship to power). I precisely measured the db level using my DBX 14/10 Spectrum Analyzer/EQ/SPL w/DRO and at 1 meter distance from each L/R speaker channel. I also measured the db level lying back in my comfy bed, which is "smack dead center" of my two Polk LSiM 707 Speakers, that are both "towed in" forming a perfect triangulation point, right where my two dumbo ears are attached to my melon sized head, resulting in a nearly perfect apex, both in the horizontal and vertical planes, the "sweet spot zone", again +6db increase in loudness. All db measurements were performed using the peak hold function of the DBX. The remaster does not have anywhere near the Dynamic Range as the Original CD. They EQ'd the top end of the spectrum of the remaster, way, way up, starting 4KHz. So, I've now listened to the entire CD and found it overall to be quite fatiguing by the time I finished it. This was at a moderate listening level of 85db.

I then referred to the very useful tool that @GSS61 shared with me: http://dr.loudness-war.info/ I wish I would have known about this WEB site when ever it first came out, again thanks @GSS61 for sharing this with me. It has a fairly expansive database of albums. I will definitely be referencing this tool prior to any future CD purchases.

GREEN = GOOD
YELLOW'ISH / LIGHTER GREEN = ACCEPTABLE
RED = BAD

So, here is where the "Rubber meets the Road":
Here is the Dynamic Range Database information of my original release AC/DC Back In Black CD - Atlantic# 16018-2 (YEAR RELEASED 1985):
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/100271
ALL GREEN = GOOD! Notice the RMS values of the songs and that the PEAK values have a corresponding number, not just 0 and a much further spread between the two, demonstrates a wide dynamic range:
View attachment 933768

So, again, here is where the "Rubber meets the Road": this clearly shows why this remaster is junk and that my ears don't Lie ;)
Here is the Dynamic Range Database information of my remastered AC/DC Back In Black CD - EPIC# 69699 80207 2 (YEAR RELEASED 2003):
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/50958
ALL RED = BAD! Notice the RMS values of the songs and that the PEAK values are a 0 and the spread between the two is much less than the original CD.
This demonstrates that there is literally very little dynamic range:
View attachment 933773

-Blitz
No doubt that remaster must sound much louder - it's average dynamic range is only about 8dB and the peak levels are all at the max allowable 0.0dB for digital audio files

The original CD has at least 4dB more average dynamic range, plus the track peak levels max out at -1.2dB... that would account for the remaster being +6dB louder

As you mentioned, the remaster is also EQ'd differently than the original CD and may indeed be hotter in the upper mid range frequencies.

That combined with the relatively high compression (and probably brick wall limiting) make for a remaster that is hard to listen to for very long

EMERSON-LAKE-PALMER-TRILOGY-REMASTERED-2-CD.jpg

Jakko Jakszyk did the remastering on this .

I decided to validate, once and for all that I'm not crazy and not just "imagining" this remastering phenomenon. So, I maintained my volume gain at the exact same level and played the title song, track#6 of both CD's, the remaster and the original, immediately "back to back" to compare them. The remaster is definitely way louder, by +6db. When defining "db", every "+3db" is 2x the power, meaning amplifier wattage output doubles (please reference this well written link, which is an easy to understand article explaining and outlining in detail the topic of db with relationship to power). I precisely measured the db level using my DBX 14/10 Spectrum Analyzer/EQ/SPL w/DRO and at 1 meter distance from each L/R speaker channel. I also measured the db level lying back in my comfy bed, which is "smack dead center" of my two Polk LSiM 707 Speakers, that are both "towed in" forming a perfect triangulation point, right where my two dumbo ears are attached to my melon sized head, resulting in a nearly perfect apex, both in the horizontal and vertical planes, the "sweet spot zone", again +6db increase in loudness. All db measurements were performed using the peak hold function of the DBX. The remaster does not have anywhere near the Dynamic Range as the Original CD. They EQ'd the top end of the spectrum of the remaster, way, way up, starting 4KHz. So, I've now listened to the entire CD and found it overall to be quite fatiguing by the time I finished it. This was at a moderate listening level of 85db.

I then referred to the very useful tool that @GSS61 shared with me: http://dr.loudness-war.info/ I wish I would have known about this WEB site when ever it first came out, again thanks @GSS61 for sharing this with me. It has a fairly expansive database of albums. I will definitely be referencing this tool prior to any future CD purchases.

GREEN = GOOD
RED = BAD

Here is the Dynamic Range Database information of my original release AC/DC Back In Black CD - Atlantic# 16018-2 (YEAR RELEASED 1985):
ALL GREEN = GOOD! Notice the RMS values of the songs and that the PEAK values have a corresponding number, not just 0 and a much further spread between the two, demonstrates a wide dynamic range:
View attachment 933768

So, again, here is where the "Rubber meets the Road": this clearly shows why this remaster is junk and that my ears don't Lie ;)
Here is the Dynamic Range Database information of my remastered AC/DC Back In Black CD - EPIC# 69699 80207 2 (YEAR RELEASED 2003):
ALL RED = BAD! Notice the RMS values of the songs and that the PEAK values are a 0 and the spread between the two is much less than the original CD.
View attachment 933773

-Blitz
Anyway, I think Hunter's nose is the best thing about this Thread .. P.S In Italy we call the dog's nose : "Tartufo"..The tartufo (truffle )is perhaps the most precious mushroom on the planet :)

GREEN = GOOD
RED = BAD

View attachment 933768

View attachment 933773

-Blitz

I played Hells Bells back to back on both copies. The remaster was definitely louder, but tbh, I could listen to either of them. I couldn't say for sure that I preferred one over the other. Perhaps a longer session rather than one track would have yielded more info.

I think to some extent, Blitz, you are listening to your equipment rather than the music. Your system is capable of definition that the rest of us have never heard, and you can pick out subtleties that we cannot. You also know what to listen for. Your experience with comparing the MSFL CDs with standard versions has given you a database from which to draw.

By the way, good morning.

Now playing:

Deutsche Grammophon CD 413 932-2 (1982)

Beethoven Symphonien 5 & 6 (Pastorale)

Karajan/Berlin Philharmoniker

I played Hells Bells back to back on both copies. The remaster was definitely louder, but tbh, I could listen to either of them. I couldn't say for sure that I preferred one over the other. Perhaps a longer session rather than one track would have yielded more info.

I think to some extent, Blitz, you are listening to your equipment rather than the music. Your system is capable of definition that the rest of us have never heard, and you can pick out subtleties that we cannot. You also know what to listen for. Your experience with comparing the MSFL CDs with standard versions has given you a database from which to draw.

By the way, good morning.

Now playing:

Deutsche Grammophon CD 413 932-2 (1982)

Beethoven Symphonien 5 & 6 (Pastorale)

Karajan/Berlin Philharmoniker
Good point, definitely a factor. I listen to a large amount of high res and well mastered CD rips through a very high quality DAC and a revealing headphone amplification setup with Sony MDR-7506 professional studio cans, so differences in recording sound quality are easy to notice. Blitz has a pretty impressive high end system that certainly reveals any weaknesses, I'm sure!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom