Today's MONO playlist

G. F. Handel, Concerti Grossi Op. 6, Nos. 5-8,
English Baroque Orchestra conducted by Herman Scherchen

Nice to see a classical post on occasion. I have an extensive monophonic vinyl collection - mostly classical. One of my favorites is the complete G. F. Handel, Concerti Grossi, Op. 6 Nos. 1-12 on the original Westminster vinyl set of 4 disks. These performances are still the best I have heard since that time! Maestro Scherchen has a way with these gems that makes the music flow with ultimate grace. The recorded sound is smooth and sumptuous without the harshness found in the current recordings on "period" instruments.

Happy chap isn't he ? Blast from the past,

wZGb7vAh.jpg

Jazz at the College of the Pacific, Fantasy 3223, from 1956, reissue of Fantasy 3-13, another beautiful dark red vinyl lp in mono.

index.php

Dave Brubeck Quartet, Fantasy 3-320 from 1956, reissue of Fantasy 3-7. I seem to be stuck in a red vinyl groove, but I'm liking it. :cool:

index.php

Did I mention I'm looking for everything Brubeck? These are getting harder to find, and go for a little more coin than what I've posted so far.
Dave Brubeck Trio, Fantasy 3-2, a 10 inch 33&1/3 from 1951. OK, I'm now playing a record that's older than I am, but it sounds pretty good.

index.php

The Dave Brubeck Octet, Fantasy 3-3, another rare 10 incher. Also from 1951, and sounds even better than the last one. This one has to be at least a VG+ in my book. Very little surface noise only noticeable between songs. A keeper for certain.

index.php

Back to some early Brubeck. This is Fantasy 3-1, another one older than me from 1951. Dave on piano, Cal Tjader on bongos, drums and vibes, and Ron Croty on bass. It really is, as the cover says "distinctive rhythm instrumentals". Cal Tjader had no formal musical training, and once learned to play bongos overnight when he heard that Nick Esposito was looking for a bongo player to make some recordings. The vibes he picked up while at San Jose State College, while also playing in local bands. He decided at 14 he wanted to be a jazz musician. Seems to have worked out all right.

index.php

More Brubeck, with Cal and Ron, Fantasy 3-4 from 1952. Some of you may already know the story, but I find it fascinating, so here is the short version for those who haven't heard it. Dave started college planning to study to be a veterinarian to work with his father on their ranch. The head of the zoology dept. urged Brubeck to "stop wasting my time and yours", and shipped him over to the music department. There he did well, despite not being able to sight read music. He was nearly expelled for this, until several professors intervened based on his demonstrated ability to write counterpoint and harmony. Still he was almost not allowed to graduate, until he promised to never teach piano. A promise he kept, as far as I know. :)
A lot of people have a lot to thank that zoology professor for.

index.php

Back
Top Bottom