Dual 1246: Fix or not?

Luvmonterey

I'm new to this site and to vinyl, and looking for some help/advice. I'm on a budget and have been looking at turntables for a while, particularly the UTurn Orbit. I found a 2016 Orbit Custom in new condition with the Ortofon cartridge on CL for $50. The seller also had a Dual 1246 that looked to be in great shape, and the seller said worked fine, for $75, so I bought both. The Dual had problems from the start. The muting switch was out of adjustment and the right channel wasn't working. The seller refunded my $75 but let me keep the turntable. I downloaded the service manual and found someone to work on it locally. The fixed it to the tune of $100 and supposedly lubricated it per the specs in the manual.It worked fine for a few days, but the auto start/queuing stopped working. I took it back and they made some adjustments, and this time it worked for a day. Now when I hit start, the tone arm moves about and inch and shuts off. The auto stop works fine. I really like the vintage look and feel of this table, but it seems about as reliable as an old Fiat at this time. I tried troubleshooting it myself, but I'm afraid that I may do more damage than good. I could take it back for repairs a third time, but I'm not sure the repair tech I'm using is up to the task. At this point I'm only into the table for $25, and the Orbit is working fine, but I do like the Dual. Should I give up on it, or try to find someone more qualified to repair it? I am willing to drive it up to San Jose, or possibly San Francisco if it's worth it. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would try to find someone more competent. But they are few and far between. Those are good, reliable tables, but tricky to work on. I've done several, including my own.

Where are you located?

I would try to find someone more competent. But they are few and far between. Those are good, reliable tables, but tricky to work on. I've done several, including my own.

Where are you located?
I'm in Monterey Ca; about an hour south of San Jose.

You may need a new steuerpimple. Common ailment to Duals with tonearm issues.

Here's a handy steuerpimple video:

Easy fix too. Tons of seuerpimple videos on YouTube.
Yes! That is probably the issue. I'm relatively mechanically inclined, and can probably replace it myself. I haven't figured out how to remove the table from the wood base to expose the underside. Do you know how to do this? Thanks!

Yes! That is probably the issue. I'm relatively mechanically inclined, and can probably replace it myself. I haven't figured out how to remove the table from the wood base to expose the underside. Do you know how to do this? Thanks!

There should be some round silver screw head-looking things (I think there are 3 on my 1226). You loosen them and then tilt them to release the TT from the plinth. It's heavier than you will probably think. There are tons of other YouTube videos - search for Dual turntable repair. There you can see videos on removing the platter, removing the deck, etc. Also, ebay has many steuerpimple purchase options.

Typically, on those old Dual's, you'll see three, (maybe four), "shipping" screws. Unscrew them part way until the sort of "flop" around loosely. Now you can take one and tilt the top outwards. Underneath tilts inwards. That releases it from its slot and you should be able to tilt the table up, revealing the other slots.

Jones beat me to it. ;)

There should be some round silver screw head-looking things (I think there are 3 on my 1226). You loosen them and then tilt them to release the TT from the plinth. It's heavier than you will probably think. There are tons of other YouTube videos - search for Dual turntable repair. There you can see videos on removing the platter, removing the deck, etc. Also, ebay has many steuerpimple purchase options.
Thanks. I have three of those screws (black on my 1246). I tried to remove the deck yesterday, but was cautious and didn't get it apart. Just didn't want to break anything. I will give it a shot tomorrow.

Typically, on those old Dual's, you'll see three, (maybe four), "shipping" screws. Unscrew them part way until the sort of "flop" around loosely. Now you can take one and tilt the top outwards. Underneath tilts inwards. That releases it from its slot and you should be able to tilt the table up, revealing the other slots.

Jones beat me to it. ;)

You did a better job though.

Thank you. I will try it today. I appreciate the help!
I was finally able to get the deck off the plinth and indeed, there was no steuerpimple to be seen. I made one out of coax cable as a temporary fix and it solved the problem! I'm happy to say that it was absolutely spotless in the inside and appeared to be well lubricated. I'm listening to it now. Thanks for your help all!

Thanks. I also have an Orbit Custom, which I have been using as my backup, but I really like the Dual, and appreciate the fact that it's completely mechanical. Not much built like that anymore. I do like the Orbit; very well made and simple. Their customer service is fantastic as well, but something about the Dual appeals to me.

So you ended up with a functuonal Orbit and a mostly functional Dual for $75?

HECK of a deal!

:thumbsup:
Yes! The Orbit Custom was basically new and was $50. The Dual was $75, but got my money back and he let me keep it. After repairs and service I'm in it for $25, so yes a total of $75!

These Dual's are underrated, in my opinion. Have worked on many rim drive Dual's. Never a belt drive model. Took it in trade for a 1229 and $50. My 601 was to be a gunea pig. Sat on the bench for over a year. The Mrs is away for several weeks. Last Sun a customer brought in a minty 1219. Dead on arrival. Had the stuerpimple issue. Had several old ones around here. Did not fix the customers. Looked at my 601 and now is the time. The old "pimple" was laying on they bottom of the cabinet. Used an old one off a junk 1219 that refuses to be fixed. That's another story. The 601 sounds wonderful with a Pickering XV-15. Has a speed issue with the motor. It runs too fast occasionally. Moved the 601 to my bedroom. Glad I fixed it. My 1219 developed a noisy motor after 4 yrs. The 601 took its place. Funny, since I moved it upstairrs the motor has not run fast! Play a record to end day. If your 1246 is anything like my 601, you are in for a treat. Enjoy! A pic of the 601. Easy on the eyes too.image.jpeg

Last edited:
These Dual's are underrated, in my opinion. Have worked on many rim drive Dual's. Never a belt drive model. Took it in trade for a 1229 and $50. My 601 was to be a gunea pig. Sat on the bench for over a year. The Mrs is away for several weeks. Last Sun a customer brought in a minty 1219. Dead on arrival. Had the stuerpimple issue. Had several old ones around here. Did not fix the customers. Looked at my 601 and now is the time. The old "pimple" was laying on they bottom of the cabinet. Used an old one off a junk 1219 that refuses to be fixed. That's another story. The 601 sounds wonderful with a Pickering XV-15. Has a speed issue with the motor. It runs too fast occasionally. Moved the 601 to my bedroom. Glad I fixed it. My 1219 developed a noisy motor after 4 yrs. The 601 took its place. Funny, since I moved it upstairrs the motor has not run fast! Play a record to end day. If your 1246 is anything like my 601, you are in for a treat. Enjoy! A pic of the 601. Easy on the eyes too.View attachment 934375

Back
Top Bottom