Today's MONO playlist

lm6073-cover.jpg

A nice box set where Landowska plays both harpsichord and piano...

Jazz Impressions of the U.S.A. by the quartet, featuring Paul Desmond, with Norman Bates on bass and Joe Morello on drums. Columbia CL 984, in mono six"eye" from 1957. I love Dave's Summer Song.

Impressions USA.JPG

I've been on a Brubeck kick lately, and I figure I'm in this far - I might as well just keep going. So here is another Columbia six "eye" from 1957 - CL 1034.
Jazz Goes to Junior College. The DB Quartet - Brubeck, Desmond, Bates and Morello. When they started out the only reason they named the quartet after Brubeck is his name was the most well known in the venues they were playing.

Junior COllege.JPG

Last edited:
Now up - Dave Digs Disney, Columbia CL 1059 also from 1957, and also with six "eye" label and in mono. Dave's version of Alice in Wonderland is a favorite - mine and his. It ended up on a few of his albums.

Dave Digs Disney.JPG

Dave Brubeck and Jay and Kai recorded live at Newport on July 6, 1956. Columbia CL 932, six "eye" of course, and mono. Side one is the Brubeck quartet, and side two is by the J.J. Johnson - Kai Winding Quintet. The quintet is unusual in having two trombones, and a rhythm section with Dick Katz on piano, Bill Crow on bass, and Rudy Collins on drums.

Dave Jay and Kai.JPG

Hey Gannon,

I see you have Vol.5, your going to have to tell me AGAIN what volumes you need! :D Can't seem to find that piece of paper with the volumes you told me.

Ha ha! Yeah it's Vols. 7, 8, and 9. Are Santa and the Elves on the case? :D

Mono?! Probably a Generation ahead of me (loved it when my parents would spin Sinatra), but listened to his music very frequently over the past 15 years, that song being a favorite. I never noticed. Hell, I think that I may as well sell my various systems, and get a 1970's Era turntable speaker inside a little box! :whip::wtf:
P.S., how is this possible?

Back
Top Bottom