McIntosh New Product MA8900 & MCD350

Damn that MA8900 looks sweet! I might have to start selling some stuff and put together a fund!

MCD350 doesn't have digital inputs. :wtf:
I don't know why they omitted that, in this day and age. If it had DAC inputs, I would've been a buyer.

Well, Mac has decided to have a replaceable up gradable digital input module on the MA 8900, and that is what you would need for the MCD 350. So with out it they can keep the price down. This looks like an outstanding up date for that classic MCD 500. This just might make me give up my 861 for the 350 after the initial rush is over. The 891 can play my small collection of DVD-A. Its a shame that format didn't work out. Maybe they will incorporate the plug in idea with a C-2800 or C-54 as an idea. It wouldn't hurt to stick it in a MX 162 either. I don't know where they would put the module? The back of my 151 is nothing but connectors now.

Last edited:
I am wondering how the MA8900 DAC compares to the D150. Depending, I may part with my MA7900 + D150 in favor of the MA8900 by itself.

I'm afraid I'm not following your reasoning. My question still stands - who in this environment will spend $4,500 on a cd player without a couple of digital inputs? This is not 2007.

I'm afraid I'm not following your reasoning. My question still stands - who in this environment will spend $4,500 on a cd player without a couple of digital inputs? This is not 2007.

First, I have never used the additional digital inputs of any component, and have always opted to go straight to a digital inputs on a preamp. I can't imagine that I am unique in this. So, maybe they dropped the inputs because they are seldom actually used.

Also, I think Mc is trying to move in a direction of having only one DAC in a system, and they want that DAC to either be in an integrated or in a standalone preamp. This is shown by the extensive release of digital preamps D100, D150, D1100 only over the last couple years. But they still want to have a product that can be used in an analog system. It wouldn't surprise me if Mc starts slimming down their product line up in the next couple quarters. With only maybe only one CD/SACD player, and one transport, they're already dropped the MR88, and are only offering the MR87.

I believe McIntosh has spelled it out in their announcement. This is a CD/SACD player only. You will find digital inputs on the preamplifiers. Most total Mac system owners won't blink an eye at this.

The MA8900 is already on the Mcintosh webstite. I like that. I saw mention of thermal tracking of the transistors but the announcement did not specifically say ThermalTrak so I checked the owner's manual and that's what they are.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mc starts slimming down their product line up in the next couple quarters. With only maybe only one CD/SACD player, and one transport, they're already dropped the MR88, and are only offering the MR87.
Not likely, as that means fewer models to sell which translates to fewer overall sales. The broader the line, the greater the chance of having something for every customer. This also provides for lower product development and material costs across the board as certain features and architecture can be shared and amortized among units. Finally, smart manufacturers want to keep their manufacturing facilities running as often as possible, up to 24/7, as this allows them to maximize their investment in the facility and real estate as well as their contribution to the community from which they operate.

I like McIntosh's philosophy here.

Mac knows people want analog tone controls, now if we could get our variable loudness back...

I agree that Mac knows at least a minority want tone controls, myself included, analogue or otherwise, but do they really believe we want a range of +/- 12db? I mean Please, give us no more than +/- 6db.

Bringing back the variable loudness would be nice too, but less needed with the 5 band EQ.

I agree that Mac knows at least a minority want tone controls, myself included, analogue or otherwise, but do they really believe we want a range of +/- 12db? I mean Please, give us no more than +/- 6db.

Bringing back the variable loudness would be nice too, but less needed with the 5 band EQ.

Mortis:

Your comment on the "range of +/- 12db?" Gave me a chuckle. As it was timely. I was at a dealer event and in one of the demo rooms one of the attendees was a bit animated because the preamp did not have tone controls. And he was pacing in the room and pointing at the preamp and repeating, "how could it not have at least tone controls." And the person he was with struck up a conversation with me and we ended up talking about Triode Corporation product. This person had one of their amps and I had just had on loan one of their preamps. And so I asked this person whether he had tried their preamps since he very much liked the amp that he had. And the animated person, that was his friend/family member, etc., overheard me and mentioned that the Triode preamp was no good because while it had eq, the eq was only +/- 6 db. And a person needed a preamp with AT LEAST +/- 12 db, just like "a McIntosh preamp!!!" :) So, I guess different strokes...

Mortis:

Your comment on the "range of +/- 12db?" Gave me a chuckle. As it was timely. I was at a dealer event and in one of the demo rooms one of the attendees was a bit animated because the preamp did not have tone controls. And he was pacing in the room and pointing at the preamp and repeating, "how could it not have at least tone controls." And the person he was with struck up a conversation with me and we ended up talking about Triode Corporation product. This person had one of their amps and I had just had on loan one of their preamps. And so I asked this person whether he had tried their preamps since he very much liked the amp that he had. And the animated person, that was his friend/family member, etc., overheard me and mentioned that the Triode preamp was no good because while it had eq, the eq was only +/- 6 db. And a person needed a preamp with AT LEAST +/- 12 db, just like "a McIntosh preamp!!!" :) So, I guess different strokes...

While remaining topic I think this new MA7900 is a beautiful new integrated, and I'm very glad Mc are continuing to include the 5 band EQ on at least one preamp and integrated, as I wouldn't want one without it. I do however suspect that person at the dealer must be a novice on the effective application of tone/EQ. It's often very difficult to make a slight adjustment off center detent without it being too much with such an extreme rotation/db ratio of the knob. I just can't imagine anyone ever needing to push a tone control as much as +/- 12db (or even 6db) without destroying the sound.

When dealing with old movies from the thirties and 40's or playing back warped records or other imperfect sources a strong filter is a great weapon to have in your arsenal, and is why I keep my Urei variable filters stored away and my SAE Graphic EQ connected when making dubs. Every once in a while PBS or the Smithsonian channel will be broadcasting a documentary where I have to filter the sound. So I kill the digital sound to the 151 and use the analog sound to the C-34, and engage the record processor loop and start cranking in the filters. Some times as steep as 24 db per octave. News broadcasts made in high winds need filters. Some electronic music really needs to be manipulated to be heard and not instantly muted. Some CD reissues have been so manipulated I instantly need filters. Everything I have heard that is streamed from the internet needs help/ and is why I use it as a secondary source, always looking for an original. I will admit that most of the time 3 db here or there will fix the issue. Some recordings are distorted in away that reminds me of listening to speaker systems with ring radiators or tweeters with metallic diaphragms that resonate at a given narrow band. Filtering those is a real challenge. Normally I just pass.

Last edited:
I am wondering how the MA8900 DAC compares to the D150. Depending, I may part with my MA7900 + D150 in favor of the MA8900 by itself.
The D150 and MA8900 use the same DAC so i am not sure you should get the MA8900 unless you prefer only 1 device instead of 2.

What i am very curious is if you can tell me the performance of D150 compared to the MA7900 built in DAC. I have the MA6700 and i wonder if the D150 is a big improvement.

The D150 and MA8900 use the same DAC so i am not sure you should get the MA8900 unless you prefer only 1 device instead of 2.

What i am very curious is if you can tell me the performance of D150 compared to the MA7900 built in DAC. I have the MA6700 and i wonder if the D150 is a big improvement.

My interest is one box instead of two. Also, with the MA8900 + D150, the MA8900 doesn't control the D150 very well, and I'd prefer not to have two remotes. As far as performance. The D150 v. MA7900, there's a noticeable improvement with the D150. I have several devices that input to both for comparison. D150 seems to bring a slightly higher level of clarity or transparency without being bright, the MA7900 is slightly muted by comparison. However, the only reason I got the D150 was to start using transports instead of disc players.

Back
Top Bottom