Help identify a stereo console from an old picture...

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
I've read where people find the old family stereo from when they grew up... I want to do this. I have a house full of consoles and it would be cool to have the one I cut my eye teeth on (literally, I chewed on the edge of this as a toddler)
This picture was taken in 1978. Mom says it most likely purchased between 1968-74, so it is most likely solid state (boo). It is my brother in the picture at Halloween... the whole family doesn't look like this. I remember my brother cutting the speakers out/off and using them for a few years after the electronics crapped out.

The one detail I can remember about it, was the gold-brown pleated velvet speaker covers behind the 4 "turned" pieces. It was a really solid built unit, so I don't think it was a Magnavox... but I don't know. Someone in AK land must know... Any info would be great! Thanks!
upload_2017-5-19_16-7-30.png
upload_2017-5-19_16-7-30.png

Looks like a Zenith, but dont know which model.

I have to admit, I didn't know what made you think it was a Zenith at first... but then I checked out images, service manuals, and brochures. The split-spindle speaker grills and pleated velvet is a common design among Zeniths of '67 through '70. I didn't find a match to this one, but I found many, many similar looking units. Thanks for the help.... but I must keep looking.

I was praying for this kind of a response:

I have that in my living room, I'm one state away and if you can come get it, you can have it for $$$.

I've read where people find the old family stereo from when they grew up... I want to do this. I have a house full of consoles and it would be cool to have the one I cut my eye teeth on (literally, I chewed on the edge of this as a toddler)
This picture was taken in 1978. Mom says it most likely purchased between 1968-74, so it is most likely solid state (boo). It is my brother in the picture at Halloween... the whole family doesn't look like this. I remember my brother cutting the speakers out/off and using them for a few years after the electronics crapped out.

The one detail I can remember about it, was the gold-brown pleated velvet speaker covers behind the 4 "turned" pieces. It was a really solid built unit, so I don't think it was a Magnavox... but I don't know. Someone in AK land must know... Any info would be great! Thanks!
View attachment 933503
View attachment 933503
The Maggie's of that era were well built. I have one in my closet I want to fix that was my parent's. The wood design on the speakers screams Magnavox at me since they're oddly similar to the Magnavox I have.

The Maggie's of that era were well built. I have one in my closet I want to fix that was my parent's. The wood design on the speakers screams Magnavox at me since they're oddly similar to the Magnavox I have.

I've had about 6-7 Maggie pass through here, and I haven't seen one with pleated velvet... maybe just my limited exposure.

Dude! Forget everything else.... THIS ONE...

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/fuo/6130562158.html

Hook up an old VCR and an Atari to it and you're off to the races.

I've had a couple solid state Astro-sonics pass through here... They are worth the horns only. I have 14 consoles in my home right now, I am not looking for a stereo console, I am looking specifically for the model that I grew up with. But I do appreciate the effort.

Oh! I'm so sorry.. I didn't read something correctly... I wasn't aware you had a boatload of consoles and were only looking for that exact model... Wow...14 consoles is a LOT of consoles.

Oh! I'm so sorry.. I didn't read something correctly... I wasn't aware you had a boatload of consoles and were only looking for that exact model... Wow...14 consoles is a LOT of consoles.
No worries Manny... I know this is an exercise in futility. It will be a miracle if someone can come up with the exact model. Can you imagine how many consoles were produce in this era... sheweeee.

Back
Top Bottom