McIntosh Shipping Boxes: McIntosh OEM box or Audio Classics?

Thanks - should the two boxes (inner and outer) from Audio Classics be placed inside a third box? Or is it fine to ship with just the double boxing (inner and outer) exactly as received from Audio Classics just like below photo?

View attachment 929373

No reason a third box cannot be used but it really shouldn't be necessary so long as the unit is properly secured within the center of the inner box.

Make sure to tape the lids tight of the inner box to hold it down.

Audio Classics box was fine, not a dent in it . I can't recommend either shipper as both are a luck of the draw so to speak.

My MCD500 was triple boxed from the music room and the 1st box was suspended in the original Mc box by four Styrofoam inserts and the outer box was completely surrounded in cut pieces of Styrofoam around the Mc box. It traveled across the country for a week 3x via FedEx and arrived safely each time.

Can anyone share WHO at Audio Classics is the right person to contact about boxes? I did a "contact as" on their site to one of the fellas yesterday and got no response yet.

Yes that's a shame for that beautiful 402.

I used AC box for my vintage tube amps and so far was very happy with them. No damage.

Personally I think these shipping boxes should have additional foam on all sides especially the bottom, my AC box was in perfect condition but the MX114 inside was damaged, likely from being dropped.

It doesn't matter which shipper. It is the idiot that handle this boxes. It is a mess and challenge to replace this glasses.

It doesn't matter which shipper. It is the idiot that handle this boxes. It is a mess and challenge to replace this glasses.

The shipper does matter. I've heard anecdotally that Fed Ex can be faster and more fair in compensating for damages, while UPS may try to push back if they didn't pack it and refuse payment. Good luck!

I have bought several McIntosh units in the past 10 years. There is no McIntosh dealer within 200 miles of me - plus - I can't afford the new units.
So, I have had to have them shipped to me.
To me, Audio Classics is the best. I had a MC2255 that needed repair. They sent me a box. It cost $110.00. I was a little taken aback at the price, but when I received the box, I understood why. It was a TRIPLE box - with wood on the bottom with screws to hold the amp in place!!!
I have 16 McIntosh units that I have kept - I have refused to accept four or five due to shipping damage. One man took an amp (still in the wood case) to FedEx and asked them to package it. The unit arrived in terrible condition. I refused to accept delivery. The seller said he thought a shipper like FedEx would know how to ship electronics - NO WAY did they have any concept of an 85 pound unit with a glass front would survive!!!
One gentleman used an original McIntosh box - but it was about 20 years old. Remember - cardboard is just thick paper. Over time it will absorb moisture and lose its rigidity. That happened to the MC2255 he sent me. He had put it properly in the box - but the box was old and the MC2255 arrived with a broken face plate. My first reaction was to refuse to accept the unit - BUT - I could trace the provenance of this particular unit back to Apogee speaker company. It was worth it to me to keep the unit and find a replacement face plate - which was difficult at that time since NO ONE would admit to having any. Finally two showed up on Ebay - I bought both. I have four MC2255s, and with that many identical units, there is a chance that I might make a mistake and break another face plate - if so, I have a spare.
I think someone earlier in this thread mentioned McIntosh using plywood in their boxes now. If so, that is a great step in the right direction.
But - for my money - even if they are more expensive - Audio Classics is the place to get your shipping boxes for McIntosh gear.

P.S. - Do NOT try to ship a McIntosh unit in the wood case. The case will NOT survive shipping with an amp in it - and the amp also may not survive!!!

What ever you do don't put bubble wrap in front of the glass it will push in the glass and break it. This happens a lot.You can build A wood crate.That works.

Back
Top Bottom