Ok here goes: One mans experience and opinion about the over sampling ripping of ALL HIS CDs ...

Without any paragraph breaks - which makes reading posts like that brutal. :)

I also have an Oppo 103 with my music backed up to a 256 GB flash drive. It works, but you are very limited in how you access the tracks and there is no search. Therefore, it you want to find say the Windham Hill stuff, you have to press the remote a zillion times to locate it.

Your next step should be to use server based software like LMS to house the music. It offers vastly more options for locating content and allows for quickly creating playlists on the fly. All accessible from your smartphone remote. And centralizing the content allows for sharing it across multiple systems as I do. All you really need for playback is a Raspberry PI computer with a digital interface or HAT based DAC for about $120. House the data on any computer/laptop.

Enjoy the world of not having to shuffle disks in and out of jewel cases!
Well, I hear what your saying about the OPPO.. And if that lack of friendly interface was important to me in my needs then I would agree.. I prefer to just start the playing and either toggle shuffle or random and let it do it`s thing `cause I like not knowing or caring what will pop up next being all the ripped CDs(rock , jazz, classical, ect. are music that I like, even if every track isn`t a favorite one.. Like I said, this setup is for my daily background music enjoyment only.. And is simple.. If I want to critically listen to music I fire up the big tri-amp Mac powered living room system and select pure audio, SACD, ect..

Like I said, this setup is for my daily background music enjoyment only..
Why limit flexibility for only that purpose?

If I want to critically listen to music I fire up the big tri-amp Mac powered living room system and select pure audio, SACD, ect..
You can do the same thing with advanced streamers like the microRendu I use. It plays DSD (ripped SACD) as well as PCM formats. I use the microRendu with an Uptone LPS-1 power supply in the main system feeding an Audio Research DAC8 using the balanced outputs to an SP20 preamp.

Don't be silly. Just hit the enter key a bit more often. :)
I didn`t know procedure and would think hitting enter key would send un-finished typing with very little experience with typing as is for me a awkward means of communication and really have had no mentor/schooling.. Also I must say from ongoing observation of this site of nearly a year-- lots of bad spelling from supposedly higher learned & educated individuals, but nobody seems to pounce on them for their errors !! SCROE !!! WTF ? I want to add "TUM" after removing the E so it fits !!! And one popular member likes to spell very often teh for I guess the !! Really !! Be more global when criticizing grammar/spelling and paragraph formatting !! Other well known and revered posters :bowdown: have had long winded non-broken up paragraphical posts, but nobody pounces on them !! I have wondered--- Is this site worth my time and efforts to contribute what I think might be helpful to a member or two.. I really contemplate sometimes ?? Tell me to go away and I`ll request the moderators to delete and ban me from this site forever so I can get back to something more productive with my retirement.. Regards, William D, Ferris III (retired "Independent" Sound Services NE. FL.)

facepalm.gif
Oy vey!

Without any paragraph breaks - which makes reading posts like that brutal. :)

I also have an Oppo 103 with my music backed up to a 256 GB flash drive. It works, but you are very limited in how you access the tracks and there is no search. Therefore, it you want to find say the Windham Hill stuff, you have to press the remote a zillion times to locate it.

Your next step should be to use server based software like LMS to house the music. It offers vastly more options for locating content and allows for quickly creating playlists on the fly. All accessible from your smartphone remote. And centralizing the content allows for sharing it across multiple systems as I do. All you really need for playback is a Raspberry PI computer with a digital interface or HAT based DAC for about $120. House the data on any computer/laptop.

Enjoy the world of not having to shuffle disks in and out of jewel cases!

No "Smart phone" here.. Not now, not ever..
No playlists, and no favorites wanted or needed. Just set to play and tell the unused and now repurposed OPPO to engage it`s "random number generator"( shuffle or random)..
For me, about as KISS as I can make it with excellent SQ.
After all, as I`ve indicated many times.
that this setup is primarily for all day background music.. Set and forget..
With the highest quality sound that a reasonable investment can offer.

In the past when the 103 was main player in the living room`s rack and I was usb streaming music through "main system" while waiting on guest to select a DVD for watching.
They would sometimes request a particular band and song to listen to. I don`t recall struggling to find and engage for them !
Maybe 120" projector screen makes doing so easier ? :dunno:

Anyway E-Stat, responding here to you allowed me to try the enter button to break up my "diatribe" for easier reading...
I will explore more and try to improve.
Kind regards, OKB

No "Smart phone" here.. Not now, not ever..
To each his own. I use mine for so many useful tasks - cannot imagine hot having access. I'm off for a run where I use Runkeeper to track my progress.

Anyway E-Stat, responding here to you allowed me to try the enter button to break up my "diatribe" for easier reading...
I will explore more and try to improve.
Kind regards, OKB
Thank you! It is so much easier to grasp your thoughts when there are visual pauses. :)

To each his own. I use mine for so many useful tasks - cannot imagine hot having access. I'm off for a run where I use Runkeeper to track my progress.

Thank you! It is so much easier to grasp your thoughts when there are visual pauses. :)

Your welcome Sir. And I agree.. Nobody ever complained, even in my long winded e-mails, before, except on AK.
Never thought to use/try enter ! B-in-L(face book addict !) explained last night.
No typing classes in JH, HS !! More interested in taking shop classes(Industrial arts) in the mid sixties~early seventies..
Thanks again. Take care. Regards, OKB

Your welcome Sir. And I agree.. Nobody ever complained, even in my long winded e-mails, before, except on AK.
Never thought to use/try enter !
Think of it more as a well intentioned suggestion. :)

I do quite a bit of public speaking and recording of short software demos. I've had lots of sales training as to the human attention span and what works most effectively.

The trick is to hold one's interest and not run too long or do anything distracting. Your previous response was a good example using the rule of threes. Remember to have some white space between each thought. Folks tend to retain content more readily when presented with a limited number of clearly delineated points. Like audio systems, just a bit of fine tuning can do the trick!

Here's the thing about the interwebs- you don't have to read the postings. Before going into road-rage mode, THINK. Is it really going to make a difference in your life tomorrow? Next week? Is it worth the temporary soothing of your ego to cause someone you don't know and probably will never meet a few nanoseconds of grief? Read a book. Listen to some music. Go to a museum. Patronize your local music store, audio shop. Keep the vintage audio going.

Think of it more as a well intentioned suggestion. :)

I do quite a bit of public speaking and recording of short software demos. I've had lots of sales training as to the human attention span and what works most effectively.

The trick is to hold one's interest and not run too long or do anything distracting. Your previous response was a good example using the rule of threes. Remember to have some white space between each thought. Folks tend to retain content more readily when presented with a limited number of clearly delineated points. Like audio systems, just a bit of fine tuning can do the trick!

To Bill Ferris - First, the courage it takes to soldier on is admirable. Your story is a noble one, also, I was VERY interested with this entire thread. I too have a purpose-built laptop for only music, and yet, it too has drop outs. Far too often.

With that said, I had to resort to highlighting the line I was on just to continue to read your most recent post (about the new setup).

I get it - this is difficult for you. Please understand, I WANT to read what obviously is a challenge for you to write.

No need to feel a ban is in order, or that you should "go away" or anything suggesting such. Please, just remember, a line break every so often simply makes the transition from your mind to mine far easier.

Keep rocking, Bill. And please, stick around. This is a great place.

To Bill Ferris - First, the courage it takes to soldier on is admirable. Your story is a noble one, also, I was VERY interested with this entire thread. I too have a purpose-built laptop for only music, and yet, it too has drop outs. Far too often.

With that said, I had to resort to highlighting the line I was on just to continue to read your most recent post (about the new setup).

I get it - this is difficult for you. Please understand, I WANT to read what obviously is a challenge for you to write.

No need to feel a ban is in order, or that you should "go away" or anything suggesting such. Please, just remember, a line break every so often simply makes the transition from your mind to mine far easier.

Keep rocking, Bill. And please, stick around. This is a great place.

Thank you kind Sir.(AKA onwardjames.)
I have now recently learned about the enter button line space break for easier reading of my
long winded diatribes. I guess I don`t get out much ?? :dunno:
And promise to make all my future replies & posts a bit more readable..

I have been "lurking" for over a year here and there are a few of you folks, including you, who are patient and understand my forum interface learning curve and I`m grateful, and especially glad you choose to not pounce on me..

I stumbled upon this site a year and a half ago during a search looking for a volume control for a Fisher 500 receiver volume control and became curious..
And thought maybe I can learn some specific items/knowledge, and hopefully maybe helpful on a thing or two in return..
I`m new to all this forum concept and trying to properly learn readable paragraph formatting 101..
Thank you Sir. for being the diplomatically considerate gentleman that you and a few others have conveyed to me..
Take care and I hope you have a great weekend..

Very kind regards, OKB

Onwardjames - you should not have dropouts. A few weeks ago my music computer went wacky. Disk activity went crazy. Tried all sorts of fixes. Ended up doing Windows upgrade and that fixed it. I think it tried to do an upgrade and somehow got stuck in a loop. Running upgrade fixed it. This was causing dropouts.

While trying various fixes I downloaded JRiver and eventually paid for it. It runs faster. (Not play faster). Scrolling for instance does not lag. It seems to me that internal database is more efficient. That might be one solution.

Would need information about your setup.

Onwardjames - you should not have dropouts. A few weeks ago my music computer went wacky. Disk activity went crazy. Tried all sorts of fixes. Ended up doing Windows upgrade and that fixed it. I think it tried to do an upgrade and somehow got stuck in a loop. Running upgrade fixed it. This was causing dropouts.

While trying various fixes I downloaded JRiver and eventually paid for it. It runs faster. (Not play faster). Scrolling for instance does not lag. It seems to me that internal database is more efficient. That might be one solution.

Would need information about your setup.

It doesn't happen too often, but it does indeed happen. I've tried JRiver over and over, and I just......don't......like it. Old Winamp fan, and habits die hard. I'm sure Winamp could be part of it. I also CHOSE Win 7, and use a Meridian Direct DAC.

I suppose having nearly 27,000 songs and almost 600 gb of music could be the issue? Honestly, it's not that big a deal, but I would like to run it down. Thanks for the tips, and suggestions.

And Bill Ferris, we need more peaceful, understanding folk here, so I attempt to lead by example. Seems you're off to a great start as well. This, to me, is the essence of AK - group participation in a shared pleasure.

As I've said before, it ain't a potato sack race.

Peace, everyone.

I am running JRiver through a Raspberry PI3 with the files streamed to it from my PC hard drive with cat5 cable. When I first started with this setup, on rare occasions and always with 24/96 FLAC there would be a split second drop about 10 seconds in. I think I fiddled with the buffer settings a bit and now I have not had a dropout in months. Often it is a simple fix.

Back
Top Bottom