Kenwood Owners Show Us Your Kenwoods!

Here's mine. A KA7100 stuck in a Pioneer box, lol, until I can find someone to throw some love at it. I don't trust anyone in town to touch it (springfield, MO), but wouldn't mind any suggestions....(I hear EchoWars is in K.C.)
Perhaps I should say I don't know of anyone in town that I could trust it with, as of yet...

Right channel has lost some of the lower range. Heard it's likely a cap issue, but I've only just started getting acquainted with soldering and electronics so my confidence to tackle this is lacking. Still plays and does everything fine, except for something goofy with the loudness switch from time to time and the freq range of the right channel.

Right channel has lost some of the lower range. Heard it's likely a cap issue, but I've only just started getting acquainted with soldering and electronics so my confidence to tackle this is lacking. Still plays and does everything fine, except for something goofy with the loudness switch from time to time and the freq range of the right channel.
Start with tinning all your speaker wire ends , then a old circuit board from anything, a couple types of solder and play and learn at the same time. Learning melting points with whatever solderer you have is very important , get some solder wick . Have fun walk away if you get frustrated and put some tunes on Cheers

I've been practicing and studying, but still pretty fresh. Thanks for the tips and advice, though. I have learned the value of a good tip on an iron! Huge difference, lol. Gotta take care of your tools...

I've been practicing and studying, but still pretty fresh. Thanks for the tips and advice, though. I have learned the value of a good tip on an iron! Huge difference, lol. Gotta take care of your tools...
Yep for sure, But remember you dont need high end tools basic middle of the road tools are fine because it will be you that masters the tool not the other way around.. Practice Patients ,Reading. Keep it up it gets real rewarding when you solve the issue, There are let downs also along the way. I look for things that appeal to me working or not and making them better and hopefully!!!!they can stay around for another 40 50 yrs. Sometimes they are junk but others are doing the same thing so parts are important to have on hand. Happy MDWeekend

get a soldering sponge and keep it moist for keeping the tip clean while soldering.
If not using iron for awhile unplug it. it will last longer.

I searched this thread and did not find a single post for this model so I figured it's long overdue.
You can enjoy my restoration thread for this one which was greatly ignored.

Kenwood KA-1400G

oqbJLJ.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful work as usual John - thanks for posting it. How's she sound?

I'm actually pretty impressed with this unit. I listened to it intermittently throughout the restore process. It's only like 13W/ Channel or so. After replacing the six 2sc458 and the main filter cap it started to come alive, but the kicker was the replacement of the carbon trimmers. The stock ones were poor quality, probably the flimsiest style I've seen. Both left and right channels had the bias dangerously floating all over the place. With the multi-turn added and the spec dialed in ,,,whooo it's on a whole nutha' level.

I also love the fact that this 2002 has pre ins & outs, I think that got scrubbed with the 2002A if I'm not mistaken. A pretty cool feature to have in this price range.

Edit: From a serviceability standpoint it's a straightforward job with the nifty inclusion of a removable bottom panel, unlike say a KA-3500 or the KA-1400G I did recently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom