Today's Blues Playlist

I grabbed a bunch of those Rough Guide To _______ Blues cds from the library recently, and I'm really digging them. I think Mystic mentioned the Blues Women one awhile back.
They have kind of a cheap look to them, but man are they full of obscure and great stuff. Highly recommended if you want to go a little off the beaten path with old blues.

They look like this one:
http://www.worldmusic.net/store/item/RGNET1334/
Then I'm going to have to give them another try. I listened to one and was not impressed so I wrote them all off. Probably a mistake.:smoke:

Then I'm going to have to give them another try. I listened to one and was not impressed so I wrote them all off. Probably a mistake.:smoke:
I can give a run down on them as I listen.
The Unsung Heroes Of Country Blues volumes were enjoyable yesterday as background music while working in the garage.

Did you spin a cd or vinyl?
I'm thinking of gifting a vinyl copy or two for Father's Day, but I haven't read anything on those yet.
I'm kinda leery of spending money on grey market looking vinyl. Too much of a crapshoot.

The one I have is A Rough Guide To African Music (I think and I can't find it right now) The quality of the record was very good, but the music didn't do much for me. I need to try more.

The one I have is A Rough Guide To African Music (I think and I can't find it right now) The quality of the record was very good, but the music didn't do much for me. I need to try more.
Was it just African music, or the African Blues one? I actually have the African Blues one in by cue right now.
I get the connection to Africa and the blues obviously, but much of the blues stuff that has come out of Africa after what we've come to know what the blues is isn't always my cuppa. Not a bash or anything, some works for me some doesn't.

The whole Rough Guide thing is still a bit confusing for me. It has a real 'such and such Guide For Dummies' vibe to it, but often knocks it out of the park.
How can a label that puts out a CD guide for Bollywood Disco also put out not one but two discs full of obscure country bluesmen/women?

View attachment 939469
This one. Just gave it another spin and I don't know why I didn't care for before as I'm diggin' it now. Ever listen to the Ali Farka Toure and Ry Cooder album. Excellent IMHO
That's one I've got.
The CD version I have also has a bonus disc by Alhousseini Anivolla.

So, you'd give the thumbs up for the quality of the vinyl?

Yeah, I own that Cooder/Toure album. Been a long time since I've spun it, I should probably dig it out.

That's one I've got.
The CD version I have also has a bonus disc by Alhousseini Anivolla.

So, you'd give the thumbs up for the quality of the vinyl?

Yeah, I own that Cooder/Toure album. Been a long time since I've spun it, I should probably dig it out.
Good Quality LP. Flat, quiet & clean.

Jook Joint Blues Volume 1, disc 1 of 4
JSP Records

The name says it all. This is a compilation of public domain recordings of smaller record labels from 1947-1957 from across the country. You will recognize some (Lightnin' Slim, Joe Hill Lewis, Earl Hooker) but their are plenty of gems. Recording quality is good and JSP list recording musicians, dates, and city. They also have Jook Joint Blues volume 2,3, and 4. Plays like a Jukebox.

Jook Joint Blues Volume 1, disc 1 of 4
JSP Records

The name says it all. This is a compilation of public domain recordings of smaller record labels from 1947-1957 from across the country. You will recognize some (Lightnin' Slim, Joe Hill Lewis, Earl Hooker) but their are plenty of gems. Recording quality is good and JSP list recording musicians, dates, and city. They also have Jook Joint Blues volume 2,3, and 4. Plays like a Jukebox.
JSP does some cool stuff. That looks really interesting.
This set is a beauty, too:
https://www.amazon.ca/Road-Robert-Johnson-Records-2007-07-17/dp/B019GLFJ3Q

Back
Top Bottom