Lucky Find

Redoak1

First post and all.

Picked up this receiver the other day from a guy on CL who was rummaging thru his girlfriends basement in Lawson, MO. Said he had a 50 lb receiver and was tired of moving it around. He said it's a Kenwood KR 9600 and all that it will do is light up when plugged in and that he doesn't know anything about "stereos." That's the kind of guy I'm looking for when making a purchase. It's really dirty, several case screws missing, missing teeth, casing has scuffs and small rust spots on it and the on/off switch is wonky and various lamps out. Face plate looks pretty good and should clean up nicely and I'll start looking for the missing rack handles.

I powered it up and checked voltages which were all good. Relays kicked in so off to get a sacrificial speaker and start checking outputs when I noticed that the main in pre out jumpers were missing. Threw a set of jumpers on there and eureka!! It lives!! Couldn't believe it since it looks so rough and I figured someone had been in there "messing" with it since most of the case screws were missing. Connected an old pair of Bose I 601's to it and all I can say is WOW!! Don't think I've had that big of a smile on my face in quite some time. This thing sounds better than any receiver I've ever owned.

I've been reading about this receiver and some of the mods that have been proven. I will be going down that road in short order. This will be my main rig once the work has been put into it. Not bad for $20.

IMG_2094.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2094.JPG
    IMG_2094.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 7
Congrats. Buttons can be replaced as long as some of the shank is still there. Done that many times with Marantz receivers.

Congrats. Buttons can be replaced as long as some of the shank is still there. Done that many times with Marantz receivers.

Fortunately the KR-9600 set up is different than most - the push button assembly is a separate button/spring/retainer deal housed in the meter panel that just pushes on the actual switch. IOW - when you remove the meter panel the buttons come along for the ride but the actual switch stays put in the chassis.

Odd that four of them are missing unless it was pirated for parts.

I've got one of those, it's a great receiver.
If you want a great mod replace the opamp in the audio path on the tuner PCB with a modern audio grade one.
For the handles there is an inexpensive draw pull that looks very close to the originals.
The originals - when you can find them - are expensive and usually the chrome has started to lift.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-saga-of-the-kr-9600-handles.717017/#post-9648083

Thanks for the heads up on the alternate Amerock rack handles. They are on order. I'll search for the opamp thread to get more familiar with the parts needed.

Fortunately the KR-9600 set up is different than most - the push button assembly is a separate button/spring/retainer deal housed in the meter panel that just pushes on the actual switch. IOW - when you remove the meter panel the buttons come along for the ride but the actual switch stays put in the chassis.

Odd that four of them are missing unless it was pirated for parts.

Yeah, I don't know what to make of the four missing buttons. Guess I'll purchase the set listed on ebay. Don't imagine there's a clever workaround for those.

On second thought, I won't be purchasing the set on ebay. They are about $16 apiece! No way am I paying that plus shipping.

Finally got around to doing some cleaning and painting the case. Replaced the power switch with one off the bay that came from Tiawan. Next i outfitted the face with the full compliment of buttons, knobs and toggle switch covers from a very nice AK'er that sent me the missing items. Lastly the new substitute rack handles mentioned earlier were installed to give it a more finished look.

Waiting for another AK'er to respond to my email regarding lamps. I did read about a process to make your own but that seems rather time consuming but I may have to go that route in the end if I can't find what I need?

Not finished with it yet as I plan to do many of the upgrades that have been mentioned in other threads but I wanted to spruce it up a bit since it sounds so good the way it is.

IMG_2164.JPG IMG_2162.JPG

First post and all.

Picked up this receiver the other day from a guy on CL who was rummaging thru his girlfriends basement in Lawson, MO. Said he had a 50 lb receiver and was tired of moving it around. He said it's a Kenwood KR 9600 and all that it will do is light up when plugged in and that he doesn't know anything about "stereos." That's the kind of guy I'm looking for when making a purchase. It's really dirty, several case screws missing, missing teeth, casing has scuffs and small rust spots on it and the on/off switch is wonky and various lamps out. Face plate looks pretty good and should clean up nicely and I'll start looking for the missing rack handles.

I powered it up and checked voltages which were all good. Relays kicked in so off to get a sacrificial speaker and start checking outputs when I noticed that the main in pre out jumpers were missing. Threw a set of jumpers on there and eureka!! It lives!! Couldn't believe it since it looks so rough and I figured someone had been in there "messing" with it since most of the case screws were missing. Connected an old pair of Bose I 601's to it and all I can say is WOW!! Don't think I've had that big of a smile on my face in quite some time. This thing sounds better than any receiver I've ever owned.

I've been reading about this receiver and some of the mods that have been proven. I will be going down that road in short order. This will be my main rig once the work has been put into it. Not bad for $20.

View attachment 939873
Nice STEREO....lol. I have one too...rocks the house, block and neighborhood~

Congratulations on this "SCROE"! Getting harder and harder to find nice old units that don't break the bank.

While I have never owned (or listened) to one, the specs on the KR9600 are very similar to my Pioneer SX1250. If so, that baby will definitely "Rock da house" !!Supposed to have a great tuner, as well!

Back
Top Bottom