question regarding a vanished thread

lini

just me...
Subscriber
Hi guys,

just a short question: Can a thread starter delete a thread to which a couple of replies have already been posted, so that the thread vanishes completely from the forum?

Why would I ask? Well, I'm pretty sure I've recently posted a reply to a thread with the title "If VTA is non-adjustable?" (thread# 772320, started by "ferninando"), and both my browser chronic and a quick search via Google would seem to confirm that I'm not just imagining that this thread existed. But that thread appears to have vanished in the meantime. Hence I wonder how that can happen.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

A subscriber can delete threads they start even if there are replies. Not sure if a non-subscriber can do so.

yes I deleted my thread because of smart ass replys
This will only encourage them.

Request in your OP that responses need to stay on topic and keep the subjective and unnecessary wiseassery to a minimum. Report the offenders, the mods will oblige you if anybody posts comments that violate the terms of your OP.

Your membership comes with a handy set of tools, use them.

yes I deleted my thread because of smart ass replys

I resemble that remark..:p

But seriously, I remember posting first there but never went back, don't know what happen but it did not seem to be anything contentious about the question.

Last edited:
I resemble that remark..:p

But seriously, I remember posting first there but never went back, don't know what happen but it did not seem to be anything contentious about the question.

No 4-2-7 I did not mean you so please do not be resembled OK?
I should have chosen a diff word.

ferni: No matter whom you actually meant, I still think deleting a thread isn't really good practice, 'cause it's somewhat disrespectful to those who have already contributed with a serious/well-meant reply.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Hiya,

I dunno.

Deleting a thread just because you did not get the response or adulation you seek is bad form in my opinion.

People here are by and large smart asses and most of the time its far from a personal attack as well.

I know I have been one of those smart asses myself at times. But don't ask open ended questions and not expect the peanut gallery to start doing what they do which is throw peanuts.

Frannie

I do have a question about this, I was banned by mistake once, and my posts disappeared while I was banned,
I didn't check, If I was the original poster, would the thread have disappeared as well?

Just checked your threads, looks like you started 59 total. The thread in question here is one ferninando started.

This was just after the new format change / upgrade. My posts were gone while I was banned,when the problem was fixed, they returned. I didn't check if my threads disappeared as well during that time.

Many possible reasons, humourus responses aren't always appreciated or welcomed, argumentative responses tainted with attitude or combativeness poisoning a thread, ect.

there are plenty of posters who post
1. incorrect information
2. incomplete information
3. simply to thread crap
4. have anger issues from elsewhere and they come here.

having dealt with these folks in my previous (long) career and occasionally
here
1. i'd ban them - so I don't see their posts
2. outlogic them - helps to have only 1 IQ point higher
3. disassemble their statement, logic, facts, etc
4. or simply ask them to stop thread-crapping - I am sure the good guys will have your backs.

there's one guy who thread-craps all the time with some really defenseless logic and I laugh
because the several times I see his posts (yes, it's a male) the threads get closed and he still
doesn't stop the crapping. As Einstein says, insanity is doing the same over and over
again, expecting a different result.

FWIW, using the ignore function is probably the easiest and least painful way to deal with the more profligately moronic/argumentative members.

FWIW, using the ignore function is probably the easiest and least painful way to deal with the more profligately moronic/argumentative members.

What does "ignore" do exactly ? Does it completely rid the thread of comments from that member, or just hide it from whoever hit "ignore"?

If someone starts a thread it's theirs to retain or delete IMO. I understand some think this is disrespectful to those who chose to comment, but in many many cases the people who comment are not very respectful to the OP. Some who comment are rude, snarky, some completely hijack threads, some make it their personal place to converse when they really should be sending a PM to another member.... Mostly I see thread after thread that just gets pulled completely off course by people who couldn't care less what the original topic was.

The Ignore function completely hides the other member from you, I'm not sure if even a PM is ignored as well.
I tried it once a while ago when bartertown was flooded with a single sellers stuff, and it worked well to let me see everybody else's stuff besides his, things improved with the rules put in place since then, and I no longer ignore that person.

Back
Top Bottom