Tannoy westminster royals build

I'm in awe. You're right not to call yourself a carpenter, you're a cabinet maker! By the way, don't even tell me that the body of that car is made of wood!!! :) Excellent work. I'd like to make a pair of RCA LS-II cabinets for a pair of my LC-1s but they're out of my league from both a skill and equipment standpoint so I would never dream of taking on cabinets of that complexity. Very, very nice.

Whenever you feel like you want to get better sound out of your speaker, the crossover is where you want to be (it's fun to play around with too).

The coil placement on the right could be better, if you can't position them in another way, try to position one of the coils in a 90 degree angle. This will surely help the coils perform in its intended value. See:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

Yes once they are up and running ill tweek to suit see how they sound first as they are made to the tannoy spec and if they sound average i can start tweeking

They will probably sound magnificent already. But if there i a place where to improve, the crossover is the place to look.
Did you ever came across Jeffs Place? It's a blog of a dude messing around with Westminsters. It became a bit of a product placement platform... And it came to a point where everything he changes becomes an epiphany, Makes me skeptical. But still a great read for you to think about the possibilities for changing/improving your speakers. And I honestly believe you don't have to go that far (as in sinking that much $$$) to really improve the sound, work on critical positions and move on from there.

I think the description of the capacitor test (from the caps I've heard) from humblehomemadehifi pretty darn accurate. Anyways, this is a really fun part of working on a speaker. You can change everything back to how it was if you don't like it, etc. etc. Just be sure that when you change something, don't listen to one speaker. You don't replace 2 wheels of a car to check if the tires improve driving comfort..

As previously mentionned, you should read on inductor interactions, locating them far from each-other and orient them so they don't crasstalk. I would sooo use a air core instead if the ''transformer''... You are doind an awesome job, take it all the way while you'r at it:beerchug:

Yes i did and that was inspireing but unlike them im not going to spend $12,000 on crossover components lol im going good quality on my budget and see how it sounds then i will update as they go if i have too also for now im stressed just trying to get the cabinets finished and home then i can get the drivers and wireing in cant wait to hear them.

Yes i did and that was inspireing but unlike them im not going to spend $12,000 on crossover components lol im going good quality on my budget and see how it sounds then i will update as they go if i have too also for now im stressed just trying to get the cabinets finished and home then i can get the drivers and wireing in cant wait to hear them.

Seems like you've got your priorities straight!

I bet you can't! I have trouble waiting the 2 days for something to get delivered to me on Amazon prime, I don't know how you've managed to maintain your patience over the long term with a project like this. I'm dying to see them finished and I can't even hear them! They look absolutely beautiful!

Thanks guys im surprised ive lasted this long too lol im trying to do everything right and not rush them which has been extremely hard but im hanging in there and its been very hard to work out the trimmings as ive never done it its hard to do the angles and next is matching the trimming stains and back panels im still waiting on more wood for that. Keep you all posted

20170517_203019_001.jpg Well did a lot of trimmings tonight on the Tannoy Westminsters bit adventurous on the clamping but worked a treat. I started the sides and made 3 different peices i finally got the right angles for the side grills with no instructions or plans to work off its very time consuming.20170517_203019_001.jpg 20170517_203333.jpg 20170517_203355.jpg 20170517_210640.jpg 20170517_210648.jpg

Attachments

• 20170517_193326.jpg
    20170517_193326.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20170517_172943.jpg
    20170517_172943.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 29
Got the top and bottom trims done today ready to attach. And got the wireing ready havnt been able to spend much time on the cabinets will be able to in a couple of weeks.
Pick up the timber for the back panels tommorow and measure them next week ready to cut all the boreing stuff 20170530_160303.jpg 20170522_155835.jpg

So spent hours tonight cutting back panels and sanding cabinets and trimmings sanded the front for the last time. Also made a gut decision on the back and decided to add timber supports for screwing in the back panel as ive looked at many originals and you only have a 20mm edge to screw it on which i didnt like. Do you think it will change the sound? Just thought it would make it better more of an edge to screw into and more structual. 20170609_193729.jpg 20170609_203328.jpg 20170609_213129.jpg 20170609_215143.jpg 20170609_214505.jpg

Back
Top Bottom