What are You Streaming and Tell Us About Your Streaming Rig

Trusty old Squeezebox Touch. Streaming is used normally to listen to various eclectic programming from radio stations such as WFMU, WKCR,etc.,, and discovering new artists on BandCamp I wouldn't like to, but if I had to get rid of all my physical media I could live with the a decent rig and my Touch.

Last edited:
Today, streaming from iPhone 7plus to Belkin Songstream Bluetooth device which is plugged into a Sangean WR-1 radio. I am listening to Crowded House on Apple Music.

I wouldn't like to, but if I had to get rid of all my physical media I could live with the a decent rig and my Touch.
I've ripped all my CDs to my desktop and stream to multiple players around the house. I still have the media, but never use it. The flexibility of being able to play anything in the library selected via my phone is quite addictive.

Need another Touch? I'm retiring my last one now that I have a Raspberry Pi player in the garage.

BN50rRW.png

Squeezebox Touch here streaming through a tiny HiFiMeDIY USB 24/96 DAC into my passive preamp. All of my CD's have been ripped (FLAC) to my Windows 10 hard drive and are accessed using Logitech Media Server Ver 7.9. These files are also backed up on my NAS but for some reason LMS can't see them there anymore. From a streaming perspective, I use Spotify extensively and listen to a variety of internet radio streams. Lately I have been listening to a lot of the 181.FM stations, but I've also got a bunch of Boston-area stations as favorites for when I feel nostalgic or a bit homesick (not sure one can be homesick after 26 years away but that's my story :))

From a Roku 4 I stream Pandora Premium and other music stations to a Yamaha RX-V377 receiver which powers 4 Fostex Frugal Horns and a Fostex center speaker.

7e157a05-6ab2-49dd-b3bd-693a2a07a296.jpg

P8080048.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight I am listening to AppleTV4, Apple Music, Bob Dylan Triplicate (Sampler), feeding a Denon X4200W (in Stereo mode) with Emotiva Monoblocks feeding two Monitor Silver RS6 speakers and an Elemental Design Sub. Sounds great and the beautiful AppleTV screensaver is a fantastic backdrop for the mood.

I am using the Calm Radio streaming service. I choose to use the 320kbs rate. I run from a Grace Digital radio analog outputs to an Oppo Sonica DAC that has analog inputs. It sound great to me.
How are you liking the Sonica DAC? I'm thinking of pairing it with my udp 203.

I'm using an Oppo udp 203 with chrome cast streaming Tidal , the oppo is connected to my computer that has all my flac files etc via a 5tb HD , works great and sounds excellent. I plan on adding a Sonica Dac in the future .

A few months back I decided I had been putting off creating a media server storage solution for long enough. I purchased a NIB DELL PowerEdge T20, four 4TB WD enterprise drives and setup a FREENAS server and began ripping my respectable CD collection using "dBpoweramp". On an older DELL WIN7 tower I installed PLEX Media Server and began streaming music to my ROKU 3 using the free PLEX channel. I can switch the output between my dedicated stereo setup (two channel) or my Marantz/Cambridge/NHT home theater setup (5.2 channels).

The latest upgrade was to configure the PLEX plug-in on the FREENAS server so I can remove the DELL WIN7 tower out of the equation. (And have one less electronic device in my listening space.)

I also added an APC UPS (model BRG1000) to the setup to protect the server OS and file system from sudden power cuts or brownouts.

Now, you will excuse me as I have only a couple hundred more CDs to rip . . .

Last edited:
My home office setup that I have listened to for a few days after finally getting the room renovated (I'm Slow..)

Amazon Music > Asus Fonepad 7 > Saba Ultra-Hifi 9080 > Saba Box 45.

Speakers hanging on the wall, Still furnishing so we'll see where it all ends up.

Next thing to add to this setup is a CCA or Airplay receiver and a Dac.

Eric

Question about ripping while streaming please...
I simply use
  1. Pandora Plus,
  2. Chromecast Audio and
  3. a laptop (was using an Android).
I now record what I like using a CD recorder (fed from my DAC) and I want to avoid "music CDs" since my supply is dwindling.
Is it possible to wirelessly record directly onto my laptop? What software / app would work?
Thanks.

Very cool to see all the different paths folks have taken to a decent streaming set up.

In our house we've set up a WD 6TB NAS drive connected to an Asus router. On the network I've set up a server running MPD music server on MX-16 Linux, which is connected via USB to an Antelope Zodiac DAC. THe DAC feeds music to my stereo.

The WD NAS also can be accessed via the internet so I can play music via Android app (music collection stored in FLAC files, so Apple mobile options are limited) wherever I happen to be.

Also use Amazon's Prime Music service.

I'Ve been quite happy with my digital front end: using an aurender h100 to listen my "physical" library and for streaming through tidal.... the aurender connects to my Playback Designs mpd-3 dac.... no current "upgrades" planned, so that speaks for how much i like it!

Today, Tony Bennett at Carnegie Hall. iPhone 7 plus - Apple Music - USB to Lightning - Dragonfly DAC - SRH940 headphones.

I use Spotify Premium a lot. That comes in wireless to my Acer laptop and thru a Emotiva USB cable to the Emotiva XDA-2 (192khz) DAC. Analog out to my tube preamp - amp - speakers.
I like the XDA-2 since it has a remote for volume control. But I am wondering if I can do better now wiyh a newer DAC to tke advantage of the higher rates available with the Spotify Premium.

Today I sign up for the 3 month itune trial and using my laptop through Schiit Modi Uber Multibits to my Sansui set up, but there were jitter in the music. When I play my music file from my laptop everything is fine, so what's the problem here and any solution? Thanks for helping in advance.

I use Spotify Premium a lot. That comes in wireless to my Acer laptop and thru a Emotiva USB cable to the Emotiva XDA-2 (192khz) DAC. Analog out to my tube preamp - amp - speakers.
I like the XDA-2 since it has a remote for volume control. But I am wondering if I can do better now wiyh a newer DAC to tke advantage of the higher rates available with the Spotify Premium.
Spotify Premium's resolution is 320 kbps which is not even CD quality which is 16bit/44.1 kHz. Your DAC is capable of playing high resolution files of 24 bit/192 kHz. So you don't need a new DAC to play Spotify unless you don't like what you hear from it. You should download some hi-res files and see how they sound.

Spotify Premium's resolution is 320 kbps which is not even CD quality which is 16bit/44.1 kHz. Your DAC is capable of playing high resolution files of 24 bit/192 kHz. So you don't need a new DAC to play Spotify unless you don't like what you hear from it. You should download some hi-res files and see how they sound.

Thanks.
i guess that would be hi-res FLAC since the XDA does not do DSD?

Thanks.
i guess that would be hi-res FLAC since the XDA does not do DSD?
Yes 24/192 or 24/96 .flac files for example. To play DSD you need a DAC capable of playing it. I am pretty sure you player software has to have DSD capability too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom