Tell Us Something That Happened To You That Made You Feel Very Old.

Getting one of these cakes for your birthday would do it.

3d25cb87c42502832935c5c2e17ad664.jpg

Didja ever wonder why baby diapers all have these touch-feely names like Luvs, Pampers and Huggies and us old folks only have Depends?

It's because babies are cute and everyone wants to love, hug and pamper them but, when you get old, who will take care of you depends on who is in the will!

Some of our members may be unaware of the joys of chewing tobacco. Appropriate to the theme of this thread, I feel old when I realize how many of the Mail Pouch barns are gone, and how little spit and slobber one sees on todays's sidewalks. I remember the Mecklenburg County Courthouse (NC) hallways had lovely brass spitoons spaced the entire length of the building. What comfort it must have been for those awaiting their day in court to have a big ol' chew before the bailiff called them in, where the judge was the only one allowed to chew.

I find chewing to be possibly the very most nauseating, disgusting, gag-inducing habit on earth. Hence, I seldom chew more than two or three handfuls of loose leaf per day. Maybe a little more on special days like weddings and funerals.

Now, if you're still reading, I've recently discovered something you may not be aware of. Chewing tobacco spit will ferment. Awesome, eh? If you purt near fill up a 16 oz plastic coke bottle, cap it off, toss it on the floor of the truck and let it ride around in hot weather for a few weeks, it'll turn to spit likker. Like beer, it will foam. Think about it, you've got all the necessary ingredients. I guess it gets enough yeast out of your fetid, rancid mouth. At least it did from mine.

I always get a chuckle out of the ads for gear, that tout the "...from a pet and smoke free home", and I picture the owner as either a tight-ass metrosexual, or at the other extreme, a guy with an overflowing slobber jug and his pitbulls chained up outside.

Well, enough about chewing tobacco. Y'all come see me...we'll have a chew and listen to some mountain music. And bring your dog.
:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Seeing a young one at the office and thinking it was the annual bring your high schooler to work day, until I saw the person had an employee ID badge. :rolleyes:

I was in a coffee shop when the Velvet Underground's 'Sweet Jane' started playing (probably via Pandora). The hipster behind me listened intently for a while until he clearly recognized the song. He turned the girl next to him and said "Yeah, this is a really cool song, but you should hear the original version by the Cowboy Junkies. It's a lot better."

I'll be 62 next month, but I don't feel old. Thanks to good genes and a long time exercise routine I apparently don't look it either, at least that's what everyone tells me.

My girlfriend is within a month of my age, and has the same habit and genes. She not only looks wonderful, she keeps her mind engaged via constant learning and exposure to new things. Things like learning languages, piano and staying current in database administration. In addition, she subscribes to Spotify and listens to the new releases each Tuesday. She turns me on to the new music she likes.

Thankfully our health is good. My heart goes out to those with debilitating chronic pain. I've far too many friends and relatives with back, knee shoulder or hip pain. My girlfriends youngest sister just had a hip replacement... twice. Her femur cracked after the first one and the whole procedure had to be repeated.

I did get called "Grandpa Ray" for the first time last year by my girlfriend's grandkids. Very traumatic the first time that happens! :)

There are some benefits as well.

Where we just moved from (outside NYC), movies were $8 or so, with our local theater offering a senior discount of $6.50 for early bird senior showings on Tuesdays.

Now, here in Aggieland, our local cineplex has seniors day all day Monday where the cost is $3.25. ...and they have nifty power recliners!

OK, true story. This occurred some time in the 80's. While walking on the mall in Washington D.C. with my wife and our friend Rosemary, we passed some young people and overheard one ask "Did you know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?"

I got a letter from the city clerk's office. Apparently I no longer need to be out of town on Election Day to get an absentee ballot; I'm old enough that the clerk's office will issue one to me for every election from now on. All I have to do is file a request form.

Hate to tell you what's next, but after the AARP stuff you'll start to receive solicitations for burial plots. :(

Somehow, I am now on a list for Special Offers for hearing aids!
The bastages!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom