Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs question.

The Stevie Wonder stuff, while Silver Label (he won't let go of his master tapes), is really nice. Every one I have I'd recommend. Ditto on the Billy Joel LPs.

Ed

The mfsl stones sticky fingers is by far the best recording of that lp! That was a old one! The 2 skynyrds that are out are kinda muffled . Now the new Allman brothers sacds sound amazing along with the new little feat sailing shoes

I have maybe 300+ MoFi titles from the very first Gold CDs to the current SACDs and my overall level of satisfaction to the quality of the mastering is very high on the plus side.

I got the 2 ry cooder limited to 3000 each today
Boomers story and paradise and lunch and there the best mfsl's I've had yet
I have the bill Evans and Donald fagan one step lp's preordered. So we will see how a 100 list price lp will sound. I think the bill Evans comes out nxt week

A lot of the more recent titles I have not been very happy with. Analogue productions has been killing it lately!!

I only have the 3 new Judas Priest MFSL's but they are staying sealed so I have no opinion regarding SQ of the Silver label issues. I wanted the Skynyrd's but Jason told me before they are not that stellar sounding so I did not bother getting them. I may look for them used

I'm about 80% thrilled with my Mo-Fi records old and new. 10% of them don't sound any better or different, than a well mastered normal production album, the plus is that you get quiet vinyl. And there have been a few turkeys. Most of mine have been purchased for 15% to 20% off on Music Direct constant sales. Which makes a lot of the singles pretty reasonable, and close in price to standard reissues. Example I bought "Kiko" by Los Lobos for $24 and it is one of my best Mo-Fi's.

As a answer to Ron, I have/had a couple of nice silver Mo-Fi's, the Rod Stewart EPTAS is Very Good. The drum solo on "I'm Losing You" is worth the price of the album. Had a Santana (3). Enjoyed it a lot and was of high quality, but the mixing was biased to the upper end, and I preferred the bassier mix of an original that I found as the local used record emporium, so I sold it.

I only have the 3 new Judas Priest MFSL's but they are staying sealed so I have no opinion regarding SQ of the Silver label issues. I wanted the Skynyrd's but Jason told me before they are not that stellar sounding so I did not bother getting them. I may look for them used
I have Screaming for Vengeance and Stained Class on Mofi. I was very disappointed in the quality on Stained Class lots of groove and surface noise. I sent an email to Mobile Fidelity letting them know of the problem. I received the LP as a gift from my wife. She got it for me while we visiting Greensboro and bought it new at local shop we go to. Anyway, Mofi would only take it back with a receipt or if is was from their "sister distributor--Music Direct". The LP visually is mint as is the numbered cover. I just thought I would have a bit more of protection from Mofi, as far as exchanges go. I did not want to go through the hassle of going back looking for a transaction that was made several months prior, and trying to track down a $25 purchase. I guess it was our bad for having held on to the LP for a while (she gave it to me for Xmas), and probably not listening to it immediately. I really thought though an exchange should have been in order due to very obvious groove noise. Think I will draft another email, to ask again and maybe they will reconsider....

I have Screaming for Vengeance and Stained Class on Mofi. I was very disappointed in the quality on Stained Class lots of groove and surface noise. I sent an email to Mobile Fidelity letting them know of the problem. I received the LP as a gift from my wife. She got it for me while we visiting Greensboro and bought it new at local shop we go to. Anyway, Mofi would only take it back with a receipt or if is was from their "sister distributor--Music Direct". The LP visually is mint as is the numbered cover. I just thought I would have a bit more of protection from Mofi, as far as exchanges go. I did not want to go through the hassle of going back looking for a transaction that was made several months prior, and trying to track down a $25 purchase. I guess it was our bad for having held on to the LP for a while (she gave it to me for Xmas), and probably not listening to it immediately. I really thought though an exchange should have been in order due to very obvious groove noise. Think I will draft another email, to ask again and maybe they will reconsider....
Music Direct owns Mobile Fidelity.

Back
Top Bottom