Luxman L-80V fuse help

corpblues

AK Member
I need some help. I picked up a Luxman L-80V amp from the original owner. He said he thought it might have a blown fuse when he connected speakers wrong. When I opened it up found 2 of the fuses were blown.

I am not a tech but I could replace a fuse. He also said that he blew some fuses before and had someone replace them. Thus I'm not sure if it has the proper fuses installed or not.

I don't see the fuse size in the owners or service manual. It is hard to see the numbers on the blown fuses I pulled out. One has 125V 5 and another has 5A250V. another fuse I pulled out I can't make out the markings but it was a curly wire fuse.

On the fuse holder it has 6 fuses 3 of each type.
The fuse holder board is marked with 0.2AT (with curly wire fuses) and 5AT (with straight wire fuses).

Could someone advice me on the proper fuses to buy and install?

If it blows the fuses again I will have it serviced but it is worth a try just replacing fuses first. I am confused why it would need a 250 volt fuse...

Last edited:
I don't know the fuse values for your model but 250 V rated fuses are common in Japanese and other manufacturers gear. Most of these designs are intended for the international market where 220v or more is common standard.

F001, F601 and F602 fuse values are on the schematic that you can get from HFE.

Is it too risky to use a 500mA fuse instead of a 200mA fuse? 500mA is smallest my local store had.

Thanks for the info regarding 250v reason, it makes logical sense to me now.

Last edited:
Amperage is the value you don't want to exceed when choosing fuses, so 500 is 2.5 X the original value and not a good idea.

Amperage is the value you don't want to exceed when choosing fuses, so 500 is 2.5 X the original value and not a good idea.

Thanks. I will order the proper fuse. I did find inside the amp it is stamped to use 250V fuses.

I took a risk and temporarily used an 500mA fuse and was happily rewarded to find the amp is fully operational. It is a great awesome sounding amp!

Dont be suprised if your fuses just blow again. It could happen. sometimes the fuses dont blow fast enough to protect the outputs, and these blow. You may be lucky however....

I'm glad it turned out well, but for those of you considering the same my advice is don't. Smoke is a more common outcome.

I've installed the proper fuses and all is well. Patience has never been my strong point. I should have waited but my theory was the amp was probably already damaged and needing repair, or I would get lucky and it was just a fuse.

The prior owner stated he did it when hooked up some speaker incorrectly, whatever that means. Guess the fuses did their job and protected the amp.

This Luxman L-80V amp sounds awesome. I have it connected to a pair of JBL 4110 monitors. I never cared for these speakers before but figured out why, the factory protective plastic was still on the speaker control and turns out it had come loose and caused buzing at volume. I removed the protective plastic and they sound great, this combo is incredible clear and refined. I bought it to fix and sell, but think I'll be keeping it. :thumbsup:

I think my old multi-voltage Luxman R-1050 had nine or ten fuses in it. I had to order those from MCM to get the right spec.
My R-1120 is going back into my second system soon.

Glad to hear the L-80V is working well.

I've been driving it hard for a week playing tunes and it has not missed a beat. For the record, this is a great amp and has my recommendation.

This receiver has been a rock star!

It is not nearly as powerful as my Sansui 9090db or my big Pioneer SX's. It is a very true and clean sounding receiver. Which receiver I prefer seems to depend on the day and what I'm listening to and how loud.

I bought it from a retired professional musician. He said his ears were his skill and why he kept this receiver (his baby) all these years.

For the record, I did finally replace all the fuses with new and correctly sized fuses as strongly recommened by several AKer's.

It continues to work just fine after the new proper fuses.

Luxman's do have a nice sound to them. Others prefer different at times but there is a following for the sound the produce. You have a good one in the L80 and it is a looker. But we consider it an integrated amplifier...a receiver without a tuner built in. The 9090db and SX are receivers.

Luxman's do have a nice sound to them. Others prefer different at times but there is a following for the sound the produce. You have a good one in the L80 and it is a looker. But we consider it an integrated amplifier...a receiver without a tuner built in. The 9090db and SX are receivers.

I vary rarely listen to the radio unless I'm in the car. I do appreciate the look of the classic receivers, the tuning dials just looks so cool at night. Maybe I'm jut an old guy but consider the design of the vintage receivers to be pieces of functional art.

The Luxman L-80V is a beautiful looking very clean efficient looking designed amplifier. The only light on it is over the volume knob to indicate if the amp is on or off.

I'll watch my terms more closely, words do matter.

Back
Top Bottom