Service Tech LA-San Francisco area?

4d9r

Looking for a recommendation for a tech to repair/restore my new to me 7000. I'm half way between LA and San Francisco near San Luis Obispo. I've been told George Meyer in LA is expensive and good but would like somebody closer to me or a SF option as I'm in SF more than I am in LA. Thanks

AEA is in the BAY Area. They are really good by all accounts I've seen, but they can be expensive. They do have ala carte options which could drop the cost some. www.aeaaudio.com

AEA is in the BAY Area. They are really good by all accounts I've seen, but they can be expensive. They do have ala carte options which could drop the cost some. www.aeaaudio.com

Not anymore . Here's a recent thread on a poor experience a fellow AK'er had with them.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....o-wait-for-tube-amp-restoration.770100/page-8

I haven't found any tech in the Bay Area that has provided a great customer experience. Currently I have a pair of Dynaco MKIII's with Sertech in San Jose. Lots of people have had great experiences with them, but they like most vintage tech outfits are a small business with only a couple of folks doing the work, and they have a very long back log. I've had my amps with them since early April for what I've been told is a fairly easy fix, and I'd be shocked if I get them back within the next month, even though over 2 weeks ago when I asked them how much longer the wait would be the quote was "about another week". This is not meant as a diss on them, or any techs, but rather an honest description of my present experience. I've used other techs around the area in the past, and the experiences have been pretty much the same. Frankly there isn't enough of them and there is a lot folks looking to get stuff repaired, at least around here.

That's the 1st I've seen of that. Dis-Heartening to say the least as I've physically seen a few FISHER's that they have done. Andthey were very nice underneath.

And that's one of the biggest problems today in Vintage Audio. Most people buy something they haven't got a clue about, plug it in and it goes pOOf! Then they take it to a shop or repair guy and want it in 3 days(I'm being facetious but you get the point). And the poor 65-70 year old tech has got gear que'd up from floor to ceiling front to back, and the guy who blew up his amp by using a reynolds wrap condom instead of the correct fuse wants his done 1st. It's a now, now, now generation and economy and VERY VERY FEW are willing to wait in line, including myself at times. I'm 62, I know the meaning of "HURRY UP AND WAIT!" from a very young age, and can't stand idiots and morons on the other side of the table who can't find their a** with 2 hands in a lit room and a 10 man working party while uttering inane excuses for something that is their fault. If you screw the pooch, ADMIT IT, don't lie about it , don't try to make excuses about it, and don't throw it on someone else. Which is the biggest reason for me working on my own gear. If I make a mistake it's my own fault, and I have to fix it. NO EXCUSES!

Fred Longworth in San Diego has been a longtime AK'er, and does some very good work if you're down in that area. He's had his shop in the same place in Normal Height's (as opposed to Abnormal Height's???) district since the mid 90's. Google Classic Audio Repair in San Diego. www.repairaudio.com

Last edited:
Not anymore . Here's a recent thread on a poor experience a fellow AK'er had with them.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....o-wait-for-tube-amp-restoration.770100/page-8

I haven't found any tech in the Bay Area that has provided a great customer experience. Currently I have a pair of Dynaco MKIII's with Sertech in San Jose. Lots of people have had great experiences with them, but they like most vintage tech outfits are a small business with only a couple of folks doing the work, and they have a very long back log. I've had my amps with them since early April for what I've been told is a fairly easy fix, and I'd be shocked if I get them back within the next month, even though over 2 weeks ago when I asked them how much longer the wait would be the quote was "about another week". This is not meant as a diss on them, or any techs, but rather an honest description of my present experience. I've used other techs around the area in the past, and the experiences have been pretty much the same. Frankly there isn't enough of them and there is a lot folks looking to get stuff repaired, at least around here.

Sertech in San Jose is pretty good, but as mentioned, there are only a couple of guys doing the actual work and it can take forever.

I have had several amps restored by Ken at AEA. He does great work and really understands how to improve performance, longevity and component safety if you are interested in enhancements not just restoration. It isn't going to be quick but the results are top flight. For me quality is much more important than speed, others may feel differently. They will continue to get my future business.

I have had several amps restored by Ken at AEA. He does great work and really understands how to improve performance, longevity and component safety if you are interested in enhancements not just restoration. It isn't going to be quick but the results are top flight. For me quality is much more important than speed, others may feel differently. They will continue to get my future business.

Did you read the recent thread on AEA that I provided the link for?

Snip --- 'And the poor 60-70 year old tech has got gear que'd up from floor to ceiling front to back,'

Careful now lots of us starting to resemble that remark :)
-Lee
It sounds like the 2nd bedroom in my house and all that gear is mine. :rflmao:

If you are looking for a brick and mortar storefront operation, try Northridge Electronics in the Simi Valley.

- Pete

Did you read the recent thread on AEA that I provided the link for?

Yes and I am offering a counter personal experience based on several amps they have restored for me in the past two years. Yes they had the amps for 2-4 months but they came back to me in extraordinary condition, better than new. As I said if speed is your primary concern maybe elsewhere is better.

Yes and I am offering a counter personal experience based on several amps they have restored for me in the past two years. Yes they had the amps for 2-4 months but they came back to me in extraordinary condition, better than new. As I said if speed is your primary concern maybe elsewhere is better.

Fair enough. The recent thread seemed to indicate that there might be some other issues going on with the company that led to the issues the OP experienced. I suppose anybody interested in using them might want to do a bit more vetting.

Of course everyone should use their own judgement on any repair services. But most who get high on their horses on posts have no real experience with the service provider, they just gang on. I live local to AEA, have met Ken & Lloyd at their home several times, seen his shop, equipment and more important their passion for the work and enjoyed the results of their work. Ken does this work out of passion, it is pretty clear it isn't for the money (just google the value of his home if you doubt this). Are they fast, no. Do they jump to answer every email, no. Do they have lives outside this business, yes. I am sorry the other poster had a negative experience with them and understand his frustration, my experiences were very different. Make you own decisions but listen to people who have actual experience which in this case is one negative and a good number of others positive.

This is an old post but i just found it in a search when I heard L&M Electronics went out of business. They fixed a lot of stuff for me but around this time last year I stopped going there completely and now exclusively use Sheldon at Champlifier in Alameda for solid state gear. He fixed a Concept 11.0 that L&M ($120 later) told me was a useless boat anchor. I can't speak highly enough about Sheldon.

Since this is in the Sansui forum, I should mention he had a G-33000 in there the last time I was there. I had never seen one in person, what a beast.

Glad to hear this. Set an appointment with him to Bring a second Mac MC250 that I recently picked up for a restore on Saturday.

I'm not yet 40 and in the SF bay area. Perhaps one day I will consider servicing units of other people, as techs seem to be becoming a rarity. Food for thought! (for myself at least)

Back
Top Bottom